Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Coffee makers  (Read 16302 times)

Rosebush

Coffee makers
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

Can anyone recommend a good coffee maker, we like fresh beans and strong, the only good coffee we get in the City is Nero, so decided to buy a machine, we need one that does 2 cups, hubby has 1 coffee everyday at home, i have one when we visit Nero's so once a week...

All of our friends like coffee but we only have a cafetiere, but would love to make coffee from a machine.... just had a look at a Gaggia one, but wonder if anyone has a coffee maker they are pleased with?  xx

Rowan

Re: Coffee makers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »

Here are some reviews Rosebush.

http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/coffee-machines/all-coffee-machines/c80000529's_kenid=1159b43b-60af-a409-facd-00004db5a373&s_kwcid=3x4856889&tmad=c&tmcampid=52

Its best to get one that makes good foam, I am really particular about my foam, we have a DeLonghi and have yet to make the perfect foam.

http://www.gourmetcoffeelovers.com/foolproof-guide-to-perfect-cappuccinos-and-lattes/ :)

Perhaps OH has not perfected the art yet, and it is gathering dust.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:33:12 AM by silverlady »

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »

We have bought various coffee makers over the years but never really been happy with them. We have just recently bought an Nespresso, it makes Latte, Cuppachino & Expresso. We both love it.

bramble

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »

I have just bought a Nespresso Pixie and a Krups milk warmer. Very pleased with both. Working my way through all the different flavours to find my best ones.
Bramble

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:04:20 PM »

we bought a bosch tassimo at christmas and are pleased with it as it is the one that does the costa coffee pods latte and cappuccino.  kerrie

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »

I have a Delonghi Magnifica bean-to-cup machine. It cost over £350, but I LOVE it!  Whole beans in the top, water in the tank, press a button - perfect espresso to do with what you will (I add milk heated in the microwave as I love lattes, but with no foam - easier to get un-foamed hot milk with the microwave.  But the machine has a steam nozzle if you prefer to use them).  My machine has controls for the strength of the coffee and volume of the 'shots' it produces - takes a bit of fiddling to get it right, but once it's how you like it the coffee is perfect every time.  Used coffee ends up in a little bin inside the machine for easy disposal, and cleaning only takes a damp cloth (and once a month you take the brewing unit out and soak it in hot water for an hour - doddle!).

A lot of money, but for me worth every penny.

Rosebush

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »

Thanks ladies :)  will take a look at the one's you have mentioned, but can only afford around £200-250, so will check out full range... :-*

Scampi what make of beans do you use?

Scampi

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »

Starbucks House Blend (Starbucks is my vice - I don't drink or smoke!!).  Do Nero sell bags of beans - if so, you could have your favourite drink at home!

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Here is where coffee heaven is  :D so may different types of coffee beans most I have never heard of, its worth the miles to get there to drink

their coffee and in summer they will put ice cream in it for you as well.

http://exchangecoffee.co.uk/about/our_shops/blackburn_shop

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

We've only just progressed ( a few months ago) from filter (you know the paper funnel and jug thing) to cafetiere.... but then we still have the old tube TV or whatever it was called.... 

Hurdity x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:19 PM »

I have a Senseo Latte machine although to be fair most days I just drink the regular coffee from it.  It uses the coffee pads and I stock up on them whenever I'm in Holland as they're so much cheaper over there for some reason.....