Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hrt  (Read 3824 times)

bb

Hrt
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

Hi guys I'm new to this forum & hrt. I'm 38 had a subtotal hysterectomy at 29 due 19 years off extremely painful periods ( childbirth was easier !!) . Just been put on estrogen only. I had little energy everyday and when it came to hormonal dip I was running on empty. Also I suffer with recurrent depressive disorder. So I'm 5 days into hrt (early days I know ) , was wondering do you get increased appetite straight away or does it creep up on you? Also the weight gain? These are the 2 things I'm worried about really. Though so far so good I already feel better !

honeybun

Re: Hrt
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Hi bb and welcome to the forum.

I have been on HRT for four years now and have not put on any weight at all.
Neither did I notice any increase in appetite.
Obviously as we get older.....but you are just a young thing.....your metabolism slows down and you can get the thickening of the waistline.
When you start to feel better on your HRT then your energy levels could increase again and you may find yourself being more active.

If I were you I would not worry about the weight gain. Just eat sensibly and enjoy feeling better.

Honeyb
X

bb

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

Thank you . I'm usually quite active and on about 1500 calories a day . X

bb

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »

just read after 5 years on hrt the risks of seriously health problems increases. im not going through the menopause yet but im on it due to severe fatigue. i dont want to have to come off it to be plunged straight into menopausal symptoms . Am i worrying too much??

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »

Hi bb - it's all about personal choice and quality of life. You  may experience menopause symptoms when you stop HRT or you may not. I was never going to use HRT but when the symptoms became so horrible that they interfered with daily life and especially my enjoyment of daily life then I started it. I have been on it for six years and have been advised to come off it next year when I am 60. I have tried coming off it in the past but the symptoms have always returned so I restarted it.

None of us knows what is round the corner and, to my way of thinking, I have had at least some years feeling much better than I would without HRT.

Taz x

Lucky Stone

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »

Hello bb, I had my subtotal at the age of 41 and started HRT about 3 years ago (oestrogen only, like you) after I had had symptoms for a while (and didn't know what was causing them). I haven't put on any weight at all, in fact I have lost about half a stone overall although I started thyroxin as well at the end of last year and think my metabolism has speeded up a bit as a result. I also don't eat a huge amount, if anything my appetite has decreased. I would just go with the flow, if I were you, take the HRT and enjoy the benefits it brings. Your doc will monitor you. I started on the 2mg dose and decreased to 1mg (which is low) at the start of the year although I must add that I am now on an SSRI as well - sertraline - due to being diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder (which is likely meno related). I am feeling the benefits of the latter after a few weeks taking it although I still get days when I feel a bit anxious but it is better overall. Hope that helps.