Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fainting, is this due to menopause  (Read 16430 times)

Gracie

Fainting, is this due to menopause
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »

I woke with major cramp in my calf the other night, whilst jumping around the bedroom as you do, a flush started, my it was hot. I don't particularly sweat but the heat is there and it's getting worse. I remember going to the loo, the next thing my husband is continually saying my name, ( I'm wondering why he is pestering me this time of the night, thinking I am in my bed), I'm not I'm laying on the hall floor, he said he heard a crash and then found me. He said I had stopped breathing and my eyes were open. I felt no dizziness at all the last thing I remember is the heat when I was sitting on the toilet. I then needed to go to the loo which on one hand was great as I have been constipated for a few weeks, then I was sick.
Now I'm wondering if its the flush, I know children can fit if they get too hot, and believe me the heat was unbelievable, and as I don't sweat it out am I retaining the heat.
We had been to a restaurant and it was delicious, I had crab and chicken so can't rule food poisoning out, but certainly had no indication from taste or cleanliness of restaurant.
I see posts of people feeling faint nut not actually fainting so trout I would ask. Thanks from one very bruised and sore person, I obviously hit the radiator on the way down, as the day went on it has become more apparent where

Clovie

Re: Fainting, is this due to menopause
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:32 AM »

Hi Gracie

I have fainted before in the middle of the night, getting up to go to loo.  :)
I did the exact same thing - was sat on the loo - next thing I know MY husband is calling my name, I remember thinking "wow its cold in this bed!" I was laid on the bathroom tiled floor!

I didn't worry about it TOO much because I have low blood pressure.

Apparently the middle of the night is when your blood pressure is at its lowest, you get up suddenly (like for your cramp - I get that too - in one particular muscle  ;D, my inner right thigh muscle - boy does that one hurt as its so big!  :o) You get up suddenly and that's when orthostatic hypotension strikes.

Do you have low blood pressure Gracie?  x

Clovie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »

Gracie, also google 'vasovagal reflex toilet'  :)
apparently it's quite common to faint when having a big poo ( :D) as it can stimulate the vagus nerve and cause a faint.
A combination of you jumping up - middle of the night - and the vasovagal reflex could well have caused your faint  :)

Don't want to worry you - on the contrary I want to reassure you - but the first time I fainted (getting up in night - ended up on kitchen floor in pool of milk as I'd got up to make cup of tea ???) I went to the out of hours doctor, well they sent me to hospital (I will have been about 45 I think) they sent me for all these tests - echocardiogram, carotid artery scan, CT scan - the works! Put the fear of god in me and it all caused panic attacks!

All came back normal, and was told 'simple faint' caused by low blood pressure  :)
My own GP later  went mad because she said I had been put through the mill for nothing with all those serious tests!!!  :o

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »

To be honest I would get this checked out. It's probably nothing but flushes don't make you faint or be sick.
We are all a bit inclined to put everything down to meno.

Make an appointment to get your blood pressure checked if nothing else.

Hope you feel better today.

Honeyb
X

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »

To be honest I would get this checked out. It's probably nothing but flushes don't make you faint or be sick.
We are all a bit inclined to put everything down to meno.

Make an appointment to get your blood pressure checked if nothing else.

Hope you feel better today.

Honeyb
X

Yes I agree, just mention it if it's the first time it's happened. I agree probably not flushes just coincidence as happened around same time as flushes.
Sure everything's fine but best to check  :)  xxxxxx

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »

I'd be getting it checked out. Never felt faint or sick with flushes. It is probably because you got up quickly because of cramp and your BP was low as  a result. Though why you were sick, I'm not sure.

Gracie

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »

Thanks everyone will speak to the doctor.

ann123

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »

Sounds like a sudden drop on blood pressure. Once you lay down your blood pressure will even out again and all is well

Evenstar

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:17:30 PM »

Oh poor you. :( I can sympathise as I faint all the time, caused I think by a heart murmer.  I used to have plenty of warning before I was about to go and could get onto the floor but since having a baby, I can just keel over with no warning at all which is worse, as a couple of times I've hit my head on things.
     I would agree about getting it checked out though if its the first time its happened. :hug:

butterfly13

• the only way is up
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »

It's reassuring hearing other people's trials I sometimes think its just me that's goin crazy

Lynn

Clovie

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »

That's why I had to have all those tests I mentioned above - to rule out mini stroke, but it was nothing sinister. I suppose they always have to rule out worst case scenario as a matter of course, my own GP said she would not have seen any red flags from my incident and not have bothered with them all!
I suppose at least I had my ticker checked out and all's well. Also my arteries were clear 5 year ago LOL. 

Just out of interest - What did your doctor actually say about being aware of stroke symptoms Gracie?
Which symptoms to be aware of/ look out for?
Thanks x

Evenstar

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »

Gosh, I had no idea that fainting could be a stroke sign. I would also be interested to hear what the other signs are.
 Even more so, as I have a good friend who had a stroke last year aged only 43!

Clovie

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »

Thanks for that Gracie x
Yes those neurological signs are the things they checked me for when I first went to hospital, nothing apparent so they just did the tests I guess to cover all bases. Mine was just due to low blood pressure in the middle of night, a 'simple faint'. Scary though!
Sounds like you also have a very sensible and clued up hubby there!  :)

Ohhhhh insomnia!
Tell me about it!  ;D
I too wake up dead early hours - mind racing - why does every little thing seem HUGE in the middle of the night?  ;D ;D
I have resorted to over the counter sleeping pills every few nights which work a treat - get a full nights sleep = absolute bliss!  :-*

Glad though that your mood is Ok right now, that's great!!!  :) x

Clovie

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »

Sorry, meant to add - I've actually fainted 3 times in my whole life...

Once when I was pregnant (aged 32) and went to loo - had awful awful abdominal pain whilst there, excrutiating (I always get horrible abdo pain when pregnant on and off for some reason?  :o ) and I fainted......
Then aged about 45 I got up in night to make a cuppa - fainted.....
Then last year I got up in night and fell off the loo as I fainted.......

A pattern emerges hmmm?
As I said apparently fainting is quite common in dead of night. Or result of vasovagal reflex.
I usually go steady now if I get up in the night, any tell tale greying out or feeling that I'm dizzy at all and I will lower myself to the floor.
I'm prepared now!  ;)