Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: dr made a mistake ?  (Read 47715 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: dr made a mistake ?
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »

Staffies do pull!  Does he play ball?  They like to run.  Maybe go when he is out for a walk and watch?  With a Staffie you need to be with other dog walkers on a regular basis so that they learn to be polite  ;)

kerrieann

« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

yes clkd they do pull, my parents had staffys before i was born and i have had them all my life, they are lovely dogs if they are bought up properly, he does love to play ball and really loves other dogs, he has a few friends around where we live and gets so excited when he sees them out and about, he also loves cats and he doesn't realize yet that they don't like him  ;D

kerrieann

« Reply #182 on: October 19, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »

hi all, sorry i haven't been on here for around 6 weeks, hope everyone is doing well  :) i posted this on the same thread as i wanted to let you know how i am doing with the back problem, so we had our weeks holiday in majorca and i was in exactly the same pain when walking that i was feeling a year previous  :( 
However on our return i kept my appointment with the head physio at our local hospital and he was so thorough questioned me on allergies, food i ate, my everyday life and couldn't understand the pain i was in with my hips when walking,  that was until i told him that i have been using ice packs on my back several times a day for weeks, he looked at me in horror and said that i have arthritis at the bottom of my spine and that the cold was the worst possible thing for it   :o so on his instruction i have been using heat packs instead and to our amazement my back is about 80 per cent back to normal, i am still surprised when i walk all around the supermarket without pain  :)  i know that there is no cure for arthritis but something so simple has really surprised me and when i think about it, its common sense  ::)
On a  different note my oh has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes which we are trying to understand at the moment and finding it quite confusing but we will get there    kerrie

honeybun

« Reply #183 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

That is great news that you are getting the correct advice and treatment at last.
You can get stick on heat patches which are great for when you are out and about.
My hubby has Type 1 diabetes so I understand how you feel. Hopefully your dietician will be able to help you both understand what is happening.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #184 on: October 19, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »

thanks honeybun,  i have though about those stick on heat patches especially with cold weather coming
oh has an appointment with a dietician soon so hopefully  things will be clearer then, at the moment he feels as if he has to give up all the foods he likes, he is a big meat eater and the only veg he will eat are peas and green beans so its a bit difficult, but from what i have read it sounds more like everything in moderation, but we will see   kerrier

Taz2

« Reply #185 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »

Glad that you have found out what the problem is Kerrieann and sorry to hear about OH. Have you had a look at the Diabetes UK website? I found it very helpful when my mum was diagnosed http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #186 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »

When my hubby was diagnosed we both went to see the dietician. She had lots of plastic fruit and veg that she arranged on plates. I found it very funny to be talked to like a five year old. I got a couple of good books from the library and read as much as I can.
One useful thing she did tell us was not to buy any diabetic food stuffs such as ice cream or chocolate. It's full of sugar  :o.
You are far better to have a tiny amount of the real thing as a treat.

I am sure your hubby will get on fine and be able to control things through his diet.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #187 on: October 19, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »

thanks taz,  yes i will have a look through the website

Taz2

« Reply #188 on: October 19, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »

They used to have a forum but I haven't checked to see if it is still going.

kerrieann

« Reply #189 on: October 19, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »

honeybun, he has been given medication which he has been taking for a month so far the side effects have been upset stomach and very tired and he is a bit annoyed by this as he says that he felt better before he new he had diabetes, i only managed to get him to the drs. because he has been complaining of aching legs  for about 18 months,  which the dr said is connected, but now in the last 2 weeks he is having a lot of pain in his 1 toe, we can't see anything but he has a appointment with a chiropodist on monday so she should be able to sort it out, all he feels is that since he has been on the medication he has more problems, its not easy convincing him that he must take the meds as he has never had any meds in his life.
I am sure things will get sorted and hopefully they will get his meds right   kerrie

Taz2

« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »

My mum had upset tummy with one of the medications - I think it was metformin - gave her bad stomach pain too but they changed her to gliclazide and she was fine.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »

My hubby has never had pills. He was straight onto insulin injections four times a day. I think he would have preferred pills but it was not possible for him. His came out of the blue although looking back if he had told me I think I could have joined the dots and got him to the doctor before he was very seriously ill. There were signs but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
He has to be very careful with his diet but as you said it's all things in moderation even a little chocolate occasionally.
Being a typical bloke he fights it every inch of the way but I am bossy  ::) and keep him right.
Get your hubby to take care because it can lead to type 1 and that's hard to cope with.

The forum that Tax mentioned has great advice.

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »

hi taz  metaformin  is the one he is on so maybe he could ask for a change when he next goes.

Rowan

« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

Hi kerrieann so very glad you are improving, the head physio sounded very thorough , I was told that when inflammation start its best to use ice and then when it calms down to use heat.

I am on my third week of Osteopathy treatment and beginning to have improvement, she has told me to start heat treatment now.

Its a slow process but as I was told I have the problem for long time and it will take a while to straighten me out  :)

So sorry about OH but you will have support from the ladies who know best how to deal with OH who had diabetes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

Osteo arthritis is 'normal' joint wear and tear due to us evolving upright.  If you look at our nearest relatives they tend to lean over, using their knuckles in order to balance.  Therefore there is no direct pressure throughout the spine nor pelvis.

Glad that you are improving.

Ask for a change of meds for your OH tomorrow, don't wait or he will feel worse than he needs to feel!  Note the name of the drug mentioned here and give the Surgery a ring  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14