Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin E pessaries for vaginal dryness -anyone tried them?  (Read 14883 times)

dianaswr

Hi there,

Has anyone tried the vitamin E capsules/pessaries for dryness and stinging? I have been given estrogen pessaries (vagifem) but am a bit concerned that some people say they cause more stinging.

Any thoughts or advice?
 :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vitamin E pessaries for vaginal dryness -anyone tried them?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »

:welcomemm:  if you use the search button and type in the product names, you will see the threads on this subject so will get an idea as to any problems that ladies have had.

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:10:51 AM »

Diana, have you tried using the vagifem? It may cause problems for some women but they may not include you!

dianaswr

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »

Thanks ladies - I will do a search on the vit E - still very new and naive on this forum - full of strange questions  ;D ;D
I havent tried then as I really didnt want to take HRT in any shape or form - but I have just been accepted on a trial of the seabuckwheat cream (omega 7) so that is exciting.

Best wishes
Dianaswr

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »

Hi dianaswr

Welcome from me too!

I've never heard of sea buckwheat - what is it and what is the cream for? I'm all for properly conducted trials on natural products to test their effectiveness.

I wondered why you are averse to any form of HRT/oestrogen? Everyone reacts differently so as ancient runner says you may get on very well with them!

There are several different preparations of vaginal oestrogen, and most women find one of them that will do the trick re vaginal tissues ie plumping them up and helping prevent irritation, soreness, bladder problems and infections.

Hurdity x

Night_Owl

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »

Hi Diana - I use Carlson Vitamin E pessaries (ebay) on the days when I don't use Vagifem 10 (ie. alternate days) - I find them to be very effective.  They are very different to Vitamin E capsules, although I sometimes use those too.

Night_Owl
x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »

Why are you averse to using a tried and tested HRT when the trial may cause you many un-explained problems ! .........  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »

I think the only comments I have seen on here about Vagifem have been positive.
They will probably take a little while to settle down.....

dianaswr

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

Morning Ladies

I may try the vagifem - I am over anxious as to where the estrogen might escape to - other than its intended area - my grandmother died of womb cancer and I guess I am worried on that score - also this phantom period pains - that I keep getting maybe they would improve with a bit of estrogen in that area - I will maybe just try it and see what happens - I can always stop :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »

dianaswr - There is very little systemic absorption of Vagifem after the initial 2 week loading time ( ie you use it every night until plumped up) and recommendations are no need to have progestogen to protect the womb lining with local oestrogen such as vagifem.

If you are worried you can always tell the doc about your fears due to your grandmother's history and ask to be referred for an annual u/s scan if they will do this?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »

That is understandable - so talk with your GP?

"I have just been accepted on a trial of the seabuckwheat cream ... "  is this really wise with a family history of cancer ?  One is never sure what the active ingredient nor the carrying mix might be and what effects they might have  :-\

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

Seabuck thorn oil is a very rich omega 7 oil  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_buckthorn_oil

I don't think it will do any harm and it is used for many purposes including burns. It is made into creams and possibly pessaries that dianawr might be talking about.

I think that we should respect that some women may not want to use hormones or have been advised not to.

Lots of women use Vitamin E pessaries and are satisfied with the result you can get them on Amazon.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:24:31 PM »

But on the one hand there is concern about how much Vagifem might be absorbed, given a famial history of cancer; then we are told that "I have just been accepted on a trial of the seabuckwheat cream ......  " without being told whether this product has been 'passed' for further use  :-\ - what exactly is the 'trial' perahsp this could be clarified?

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »

CLKD - by chance through the FB MM page I found that the trial was promoted on this website:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php

And it's sea buckthorn not buckwheat - which is why I got confused!!!

Having said that I am always a bit sceptical of limited trials by manufacturers themselves. Nevertheless if it is to be used like Ovestin then a natural product which could give some relief is worthy of investigation. However to be worthwhile all trials should be placebo controlled otherwise the results are meaningless in relation to the product. Also there are trials that measure the actual phyisiological changes in the vaginal epithelium etc, and there are trials where the opinion of the woman participant is used for the results eg through questionnaire. There is a huge difference between the two.

silverlady - I quite agree we should respect other women's views especially if they have been give a medical reason not to use HRT. However I was responding to diana's comment about "some people" 's views of vagifem and the concern about it causing womb cancer.  There is evidence relating to this and it's good to be able to share our knowledge about what we've read about all of this to enable others to have balanced information to make up their own mind?  re the sea buckthorn I can imagine like you say that it wouldn't do any harm at all, and if it has healing properties may be soothing and lubricant even if it doesn't plump up the tissues in the same way as oestrogen.

As you say dianswr you can always stop if it doesnt work (vagifem) although you have to give it time.

I expect the trial stipluates you musn't be using topical oestrogens though?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »

:thankyou:  only a truly blind Peer reviewed trial will be recognised by the NHS.  Any that are 'run' by the manufacturing Companies  :-\ .......  ::) - we already put enough un-knowns into our bodies why bother with anything un-trialled  ???
Pages: [1] 2