Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Confused by the Dr Currie webchat thingy  (Read 3374 times)

ancient runner

Confused by the Dr Currie webchat thingy
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »

... in which vaginal atrophy was described as something which happens post meno. Pretty sure that's my problem but am still having fairly regular periods bar a few blips here and there, and not really any other symptoms. Confused now -- any thoughts, all you lovely experts out there?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused by the Dr Currie webchat thingy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:07:19 PM »

Certainly atrophy happened to me in recent months - and I'm 11+ years since my last period.  I have had dryness 'down there' since the 1970s  ::)  ......... as well as thrush  >:( : twice.

Are your periods 'dry' rather than flowing?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »

Just caught the tail end of this broadcast (no pun intended  ;D) as I came back from work.....

What it means is that even if the flushes and sweats lessen as you become more post-meno, or even if you don't suffer with them while going through the menopause - oestrogen deficiency lasts forever and the vaginal atrophy which begins during peri-menopause, in many women continues to get worse, or in other cases only appears ones you are post-meno.  In many women the side effects of vaginal atrohpy may only manifest themselves once post-meno - ie dryness, bladder problems, itching and susceptibility to bladder infections due to thiiner skin. In other words this needs to be treated for ever.

All women are different, and there is no set pattern - so in your case you are experiencing the vag symptoms before the others.

I hope that doesn't sound confusing too??

Hurdity  x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »

Not to me it don't  ;)

I found that if my periods were 'dry' i.e. not much of a bleed, I had itchyness 'high' up in the vagina.  I then used KY jelly 'high' up to ease any dryness once the bleed had finished.  Otherwise the lips stuck together ............ inside and out which was really uncomfortable.  Then for several years I was fine until this Spring (wrote about it on here)

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »

I think my puzzlement was more that it was described firmly as a "late" symptom whereas I'm in the early stages, I'd say. Periods very wet (if I am understanding you correctly) and really not much in the way of anything else though keeping my brain going in a straight line is more of an effort than it was.
Though I've had lifelong problems on and off with cystitis and soreness -- diminishing after I had my children and improving again in the last few years -- so maybe in me that area just has a high demand for oestrogen? Not sure how scientific that is as a theory though.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »

"keeping my brain going in a straight line " - love it!  We have threads on this too  ::)

If you get further urine 'infection' symptoms, the sample must be sent to a Lab. so that you are given the correct ABs if necessary; my last sample showed no infection - therefore the atrophy route was considered and  :-X ..........

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »

I don't think all women get VA pre or post menopause I have never had it and I am plump as I ever have been, even when I had a year off my patch I didn't have problems. I am well past menopause.

I have noticed in the last year or so that in the winter when its very dry and cold I sometimes get a slight sensitivity on my outside  parts and I think its due to wearing jeans, some Ortho Gynest cream sorts it out.

I just want to say that its not inevitable that all women will suffer with this.

Thought I would add that the only time I have felt dryness down there was in my twenties when I was on the birth control pill.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:49:11 AM by silverlady »

ancient runner

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »

Lucky you Silverlady!
CLKD -- yes -- my last sample came back "inconclusive" but might well have been the gallons of water/bicarb I'd drunk to do away with the pain the night before.

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »

I am sorry if I offended you in anyway ancient runner, I just offered my own experience.

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »

No offence -- I just envy you those problem-free bits!