Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie, 43, GP feels I have been going through this for the last 4 yrs!!  (Read 4597 times)

jaffacake

Hi all,
My GP recommended this site, I have been reading the threads for a while and decided to get out there and post myself... here goes and sorry, in advance of my whining..
I recently went to my GP who has confirmed that I am going through the menopause, I am now taking HRT (for the last two months), which made me feel better at first, however I am still having feelings that I can only describe as "impending doom".  I get exceptionally low, cry all the time and feel extremely angry. I feel like I want to get away from everyone and everything ???   
My periods stopped in November 12 which prompted me to go to my GP in the first place. I had not even considered all the other symptoms I had had over the years being the menopause, to be honest, because of my age.  The headaches, palpatations, extremely heavy periods resulting in me having to go home from work to get changed, forgetfulness and damn hot sweats for no reason aggghhh....... however, I am now very angry and extremely emotional.   The HRT has brought my periods back with a vengence - I get back pain, headache and heavy periods to boot - I have told my hubby and kids how I feel, which appears OK for a few days, then I want a bloody divorce!  Since starting the HRT, I have put on weight and constantly have "cankles" at the end of the day - is this fluid retention??    I am going back to my GP soon, and have thought about ditching the HRT to take Vitamin D, Calcium,  and exercise more, maybe I could do this in Canada when I book a one way plane ticket ;).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:  you won't get as much support in Canada  ;)

What you describe seems 'within normal limits' for this time of Life.  However young or old we begin this journey, some symptoms can go over our heads or be put 'down' to other issues.  My perimeno phase (11 years ago) went by me because I was dealign with 4 old, poorly pets  :-\ ........ then a little light went on and yep - periods stopped, itchyness began; fortunately moods settled  :o and I have been lucky until more recently.

Keep with the HRT?  you may need a hike in doseage which you can discuss with your Practice Nurse or GP.  You can add more exercise and keep an eye you your diet in general.  Forgetfullness - yep; heavy periods - some ladies complain of this too ......

Many of us feel 'impending doom'  :-\ ...... etc., etc., etc.. Browse round.  If you use the search button for the various symptoms you wll find threads++ on about everything  ;)

What's a 'cankle'? 

Hurdity

Hi jaffacake - welcome from me too.

Sorry to hear you are still feeling rough but as CLKD says this is normal - unfortunately in peri-menopause your hormones are still fluctuating so you will still get some erratic bleeding and mood changes, but HRT is designed to make you feel better overall and lessen the extremes.

If it isn;t working maybe you need a different type of HRT? What kind and dose are you on and can you pinpoint when you feel bad?

And yes I agree with CLKD also about the exercise & diet - HRT isn't a magic cure - it just replaces missing hormones - and at this time of life we need to make sure we are doing all we can to keep ourselves healthy into old age

Hurdity x

Limpy

Hi all,
 I am going back to my GP soon, and have thought about ditching the HRT to take Vitamin D, Calcium,  and exercise more, maybe I could do this in Canada when I book a one way plane ticket ;).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.   :-\

Hi Jaffacake - Welcome from me too.

It's not a good time for any of us, but exercise really does help.
I've taken vitamin D3 and calcium for about 10 years, not sure they help with the menopause, but I suppose they don't do any harm.
Sorry for being dim, but why Canada?

Taz2

See Jaffa's earlier post Limpy where, at the end, she says about booking a one-way ticket to Canada....

Limpy

Er - It says at the top this is Jaffa's first post, is there an earlier one?     ???

Still wondering why Canada?

Taz2

Her "earlier post" rather than an earlier thread!  ;D

In her first post which is at the top of this thread she says...

about ditching the HRT to take Vitamin D, Calcium,  and exercise more, maybe I could do this in Canada when I book a one way plane ticket .  Any advice would be greatly appreciated"

Taz x  :D

Limpy

Sorry, I thought with it being within the New Members thread, Jaffa being First Flush and her Posts being = 1, there wasn't an earlier thread.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:53:37 PM by Limpy »

Taz2

.. but do you get the Canada reference now..

Taz x  :)

CLKD

leaving it all behind ........... sadly though the hormones travel throughout Life with us  ::)

jaffacake

Hi, thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate this.  I am currently taking Estelle duet 1mg, maybe I should ask for a higher dose, but I am due at my GP in 3 weeks so will being this up.  The reference I make to Canada is so I can be out in the country on my own - I love the place  :)  And just to clarify, a "cankle" is when your ankle and calf muscle merge into one and your ankle is no longer defined - not very nice, but how my legs now look, which I think could be fluid retention - my GP is gonna love me  ;).  I have joined the gym, now working on my motivation to go!   I am so glad I found this forum, the advice and support given is reassuring and thank you ladies, onwards and upwards through the next phase of our lives!

Dyan

Hi jaffacake (like those) ;D

:welcomemm:

Dyan X

Limpy

Go for it Jaffa - can totally understand the Canada bit
Good luck with the GP

Rowan

Estrogen does that to me the dreaded (canckles) especially in hot weather, thats why I take the lowest dose, I think the combination of estrogen and progesterone can make fluid retention worse.

AS has been pointed out HRT is not always the magical cure, you need exercise attention to diet and to my mind supplements, I get my calcium and D3 from my GP, and also take supplements.

Limiting salt and sugar and going easy on the carbs will keep fluid retention in check, one tip is to drink lemon juice in water it does work.

It might be that HRT is not for you jaffacake, no point in feeling worse, it does not suit everyone.

CLKD

Would leg elevation help reduce any fluid retention?  Thanks for the explanation!