Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Itch itch itch  (Read 8851 times)

hunterschild

Itch itch itch
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

I am now in my 4th year of going through the menopause - deep joy  :o I have the hot flushes, mainly at night - the occasional temper tantrum (I now recognise the signs of the red mist about to descend- thankfully my fiancé does to)  vaginal dryness - aching joints, migraines - and the ITCHING - first year is was my back, if you had given me a metal brush I would have scratched myself to ribbons, sometimes it is my calves or under arms - but for the last 4 months - it is my neck - I had, unbeknown to me, been scratching whilst asleep, resulting in a my neck being red raw with the all the blood corpuscles coming to the surface - basically it looked like I had a huge love bite - not a good look at any age - certainly NOT at 47 - a tad embarrassing serving customers in my little bakery. I have been doing a lot reading, I shower on a cool setting, I don't like baths myself, but on the odd time I do have one, I make sure it isn't red hot, which is how I like them, as I do know that can make the itching a lot worse. Last week I mentioned it to my doctor, unfortunately she is treating me for Scabies - suffice to say, I have not handed over my hard earned money to lather myself up with the cream permethrin - which is basically insecticide - as I know it isn't scabies - for those who know about it, I don't have the fine, dark or silvery lines about 2-10mm long found around your hands etc.
 Someone was telling me about Stellaria cream, which comes from the chickweed family, I was wondering if anyone has had positive results with it?
With kind regards and sunny Monday
I apologise if I have caused any of you to start itching whilst reading this  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Itch itch itch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

;D  yep, as soon as fleas, biting insects, yawning, scratching - I take part  ::)

However: many years ago before I realised I was in pre-menopause, my back itched.  Usually 10 mins after taking my anti-depressant and beta-blocka medication - I go to  my bath at 9.00 p.m. and take my meds whilst lazing, it was the itching about 10 mins after I got out of the bath - DH had to rub my back gently to ease symptoms.

As soon as I get into the bath: not every night but many: both insteps begin to itch.  Never a problem in the day-time  ::) - like you I wake scratching with the other heel ...........

I think it's due to low oestrogen.  If you have 'dryness' you need to get that under control too, see the various posts on atrophy including mine - of course I can't remember the title  :-\

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »

Wish I could think of something useful to say. Know what you mean about the itch though. I recently tried reducing my estradot 25 patch to half. I was clawing myself most nights. Now I'm back up to a full patch & itching has subsided.
Have you tried antihistamines at all either lotions or tablets, they might help.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »

Have you thought about HRT, or maybe you are unable to take/use it?

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »

Have you had blood tests to make sure there is nothing else going on or allergy testing to rule out food sensitivities?

I take it that your doc also wants to treat your partner if she thinks it's scabies and did she do the ink test to make sure? It is not always possible to see any lines relating to the scabies mite but with the ink test they should show up around the area which is itching. Your doc may be right - she must have a reason for diagnosing it even though it sounds as if you think it may be unlikely. A friend's son had it a few years ago and the lotion got rid of it really quickly and he was really relieved. His girlfriend had to be treated too.

Taz x

hunterschild

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

Thank you for your lovely replies, I am unable to take HRT, due to suffering with endometriosis, (I love being a woman!) I have been itching and scratching for just over 4 years now, (my fiance hasn't) so that is why I am not going down the avenue with scabies, having seen scabies sufferers, I can rule that out (and no ink test was used) - I would prefer, not to use antihistamine based creams apart from anything they more often than not make you drowsy and it is yet another chemical we are introducing into our systems. I am due to go back for blood tests, once I have 'finished and used the scabies cream' (the cream I am not going to touch). I appreciate what my doctor is doing, and I like her as a person but I do think, she is not that savvy when it comes down to menopause, I am certainly not going to tell her that, but they have a process to follow, before going onto the next stage - which is blood tests.  I am soya intolerant and unable to have anything to do with aspirin, both causing horrendous headaches and migraines.  I would much prefer to go down the natural way of treating the menopause. Thank you once again - knowing that I am not the only scratching and itchy person around is helpful  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »

I would prefer, not to use antihistamine based creams apart from anything they more often than not make you drowsy and it is yet another chemical we are introducing into our systems. und is helpful  ::)

Hunterschild I don't think antihistamine based creams cause drowsiness, they are applied to the surface of the skin.
My GP used to gove me the cream to prevent the drowsiness caused by tablets.

Some of the older type tablets cause drowsiness, but they don't seem to be widely available, or used at the moment.
The newer style antihistamine pills are supposed to be better in this respect.

hunterschild

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

Antihistamine will eventually be absorbed into your blood stream, hence me not wanting to be treated with the cream for the scabies I would much prefer to find something that is organic and much more natural, I shall plough on and try and find something, I have just sent off for the Stellaria Cream from Neal's Yard Remedies - which hopefully over time will be helpful - I am keeping my fingers crossed, thank you for reply  :)

fiorinda

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »

I was horribly itchy all over, but particularly on my back, arms and legs. I stopped using soap on my skin in the shower (only use it for the bits that really need cleaning!!) and it's stopped.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »

How much cream would you need to use before it is absorbed into the blood stream  :-\  ......... do you have written evidence of this?  I have used anti-histamines for years!  The tablets are now 'non-drowsy'.  Fortunately. 

Menopause is 'natural'.  ;)  .........  organic and natural?  Well many drugs/preparations that we use are both.  Chemical companies synsthesis 'natural' products to find out the 'active ingredients' : then they go into mass production ........ otherwise many things would simply be un-sustainable i.e. not enough land to grow the products on. 

"Stellaria Cream from Neal's Yard Remedies" the difference from anti-histamines being exactly?

:-\

hunterschild

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:43:38 AM »

Stellaria Cream is a 74% Organic and comes from natural plant material, chick weed, I have since posting on here, being doing lots of reading and contacting fellow Menopause Ladies who I know - and they have had positive results. I would prefer not take something that is going to be absorbed into my bloodstream, no matter how large or small. Thank you Fiorinda for the bit about soap.

hunterschild

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

That would be great CamKrist
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.

fiorinda

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

Please keep us posted how you get on with the chickweed cream, hunterschild. Neals' Yard is lovely stuff but it's expensive. I wonder if you can make something yourself - do you think a simple chickweed lotion (tea) would have a similar effect?

hunterschild

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 10:37:09 AM »

The cream appears to be working   ; )- itching has subsided greatly, I am no longer waking up in the middle of the night, scratching my neck to pieces - I agree that the cream is expensive - however it was cheaper than a prescription - which is plus point, the cream goes a long way  :)

Pussycat

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »

I know that this topic has not been posted to for a long while but I was so pleased to find it.  I have been driving myself crazy with urticaria (hives) and seeing this thread I now think it could be to do with low oestrogen as I suffer with "dryness" too. 

I am currently treating it with anti-histamines.  I can't take HRT because of suffering with a DVT in the past. 

It just helps to know that other women out there have been experiencing this too.

Pussycat xx