Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Low BP  (Read 2911 times)

Joyce

Low BP
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »

Up until recently my BP was raised averaging 134/75 or thereabouts. Recently it's been getting lower to about 120/75. I am on ramipril, have been for a number of years. I've lost nearly 2 stones in weight, exercising more. Yesterday at meno clinic my BP was very low, not sure of reading as nurse refused to say. She just asked if I was OK. She took again and it was 125/60. Could my lower BP be causing my lethargy/tiredness? I've tried looking online but can't find any info.

Rowan

Re: Low BP
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »

I was always 110/70 until a few years ago, I don't think your blood pressure is particularly low cubagirl, though I know on the continent low blood pressure is treated, I think CLKD would tell to to eat a packet of crisps once in a while. I think if the nurse was really worried she would have referred you to your GP.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pressure-(low)/Pages/Treatment.aspx
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:36:59 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »

Thanks for info silverlady. I used to have naturally low BP then, out came ovaries and overnight I had high BP. Nobody can figure that one out. Maybe I need to keep more of an eye on it in the meantime. I detest anything too salty. When I think of the amount of salt my mum used to add to a pot of potatoes, my arteries shrivel at the thought.  :o

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »

It doesn't seem to be a particularly low reading CG. The 60 is just on the edge of low blood pressure and the 120 is just on the edge of pre-high blood pressure http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Thebasics/Bloodpressurechart

Like SL I have always been 110/70 but this has now risen to 130/80ish so I am taking more exercise and trying to eat more potassium containing foods to try to reduce it a little and cutting back on salt-containing foods which is the hardest part.

I don't think there are any real symptoms of low blood pressure apart from fainting when standing up too quickly as the blood can't be pumped up to the brain fast enough.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »

Nurse said it was very low first time she took it. Maybe I should have made more of it at the time. I used to keel over when I was pregnant with DD. Had to go weekly for BP checks.
Just one of those things I suppose. Maybe because nurse wasn't wearing a white coat.  ;D