Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pain relief  (Read 9449 times)

kerrieann

pain relief
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »

whats everyone take for pain relief ? my doc sent me for x rays  which have come back saying i have degeneration in the right side of my pelvis and lower back now iam going to the hospital at the end of the month but in the meantime iam in agony with my back up till now the pain has been in my hips when i walk but yesterday i bent to get something off the floor in the car and felt my back go  :( i didnt sleep well and it feels like my back is getting tighter and tighter   the doc gave me tramadol and paracetamel till i go to hospital however alot of people are telling me that tramadol is very addictive and iam worried about taking it  any thoughts please

Rowan

Re: pain relief
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »

I take two ibuprofen slow release capsules which gives me about 12 hours or more relief ( you can get then from any supermarket or chemist) I can understand the agony you must be feeling, my XRays came back satisfactory and yet I am constantly having discomfort and pain.

I am waiting to see a consultant, but in the mean time have an appointment on Tuesday to see an Osteopath.

I was told I have a very tight lower back, my problem is on the left side, the right side tries to compensate and this causes the tightness. I have been for Physio on the NHS and was given exercises, but I found that it caused it to feel worse. Mine all started when I felt my back go.

You really need anti-inflammatories in the short term to ease the pain and inflammation, topical gels and creams may help too but don't use both at the same time.

Tramadol is a central nervous system drug and should not be stopped suddenly, that's why you were told its addictive.

Soaking your back with Epson Salts ( magnesium) in the bath will help ease the tightness in your back and help relax the muscles and tendons not a cure but will help.

Hope this helps.

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »

silverlady thanks  iam beginning to despair now as they shoulder x ray came back normal and this morning i can hardly lift the ketttle without pain the last time i took anti inflammatory was 20 years ago and i was in agony with my stomach that was asprin and i was told not to take them again have things changed or am i one that cannot take them ?

ellie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

Ohh Kerrieann you have my sympathy . I have a crumbling spine, had an operation two years ago and now another disc is bulging. I am waiting for an MRI scan, so it looks like another operation for me soon......I take  six co codymol during the day and two tramadol  at night, also wear a butrans patch for pain......Tramadol is fine as long as you reduce it slowly, I have never had any problems.......

kerrieann

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »

ellie  thanks i would judt like to know whats causing it i cant walk more than 10 15 mins and my hips kill cant lift my arm up and they say its normal ?  keep wondering is it hormonal i was given hrt patches but was too scared to use them as i smoke   iam 56 and feel like 80 we are meant to be booking a holiday this week and all i can think of is how iam going to get round an airport walk to the plane etc feeling like this

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:16 AM »

kerriann, there are some people who should not take anti-inflammatories, you maybe one of them, I always make sure I take mine in between sandwiches so that my stomach is coated and always slow released capsules that are gentler.

Your shoulder might be referred pain from your back, but maybe an MRI scan would show more of whats going on. My physio nurse talked about cortisone injections when she referred me to the hospital, but I am hoping the Osteopath will put some more light on what is going on with my sacro iliac problem, it does seem to fit  sacroiliitis exactly.

I am thinking that your doctor prescribed Tramadol ad  paracetamol because of your past history so maybe you should try the Tramadol or go back and ask him if time released ibuprofen would be appropriate now.

I do use an estrogen Patch but it has not made any difference, I have used the patch for 15 years now and my joint and back problems only started last year.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:55:19 AM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »

Just a thought though, if I were you I would try the HRT  just to see if you do have an improvement, you have nothing to lose and if it does not suit you  can always stop using it.

I am only on a very low dose estrogen patch it could be that a larger dose would have helped.

ellie

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »

Kerrigan, the pain could be coming from your back......don't let the doctor fob you off with pain killers, he should be sending you for tests and scans, you need a proper diagnosis .
For instance I have a lot of pain on the top of my foot and in my thigh....and this is very likely coming from my lower spine.....
   I cannot take anti inflamorities, they play havoc with my stomach

kerrieann

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

quick update  :) my other half just convinced me to lay on the floor while he pulled my legs sound crazy but then my chirpractor did this weeks ago before i gave up on her and ive got to be honest i have felt some relief  anyone know why ??

ellie

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

It could be, because when you pull the bones in your back apart slightly, it relieves pressure on the discs.
Also try lying with a pillow under the small of your back, or lie on the floor with a pillow under your knees.
Your pain does sound like its back related.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:51:46 PM »

A lot of people have one leg slightly longer then the other and once the practitioner has ascertained which one then they may do this.
http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=13742

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »

Ladies - I want you to go to your local town and watch.  See what others are wearing in the way of SHOES! even if something is fashionable it might not be suitable.  In recent sunnier weeks I have watched ladies struggling along the pavements in flip-flops or sandals or really unsuitable shoes for their body sizes. 

Then have a look-see in your shoe cupboard  ;) - bad posture can cause havoc with the lower lumbar spine.  As I age I am leaning more forwards, from the neck area ..........   I caught a glimpse of myself in a shop window recently   :o  :o  :o so have asked DH to make sure that I am walking more upright.  I suffer terribly with night-time sciatica I think because I sleep better: therefore longer: so don't turn over as often  ??? .........

I take Ibuprofen as necessary.  I can't tolerate anything 'stronger'.  Upsets my gut.   :pills: :sick02:  .......... I also find that brisk walking with relieve any lower back stinging pains if only briefly.

Do NOT allow anyone to pull or twist your spine or neck.  I remember when my Dad had lumbar pains the GP would hang his fingertips from the top of the door and pull his body outwards slightly to elongate the muscles.  I have to try to remember to bend when picking stuff up from the floor or when mopping the kitchen tiles otherwise I soon get stuck  :o ..........

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »

I have special orthotic heel supports in my shoes and boots, its not made much difference to my sacro iliac problem, I have not worn uncomfortable shoes for years, I also have very good posture that has been commented on.

I do know that when I last went a a osteopath for a upper rib problem he did manipulate it, it ached for a few days afterward and then stopped and I have not had anymore problems and that was over two years ago.

My NHS physio nurse said that I had a curved lower back which for me was genetic and she said that it was probably the cause of lumber problems and that it maybe a slight hypermobility problem too.

I am hoping that the Osteopath I see on Tuesday will be able to loosen the tendons, ligaments and muscles and hopefully put back whatever is causing the problem, I have some crepitus in the lower left sacro area that might be the pulling of tight tendons.

your Dads GP was using a sort of osteopath technique when he told your dad to hang from the top of a door, my OH use to do this years ago when he had football injuries.

You might find this interesting  http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/44/10/1323.1.full
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:42:18 PM by silverlady »

kerrieann

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »

silver lady  how much epsom salts do you put in the bath as i have just been and got some and its only in a little tub !  i was under the impression somehow that i would be puting a handful or so in the bath  :-\

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »

I would put about a tablespoon in the bath, I know its a small tub though.
Pages: [1] 2