Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Painful smear tests  (Read 17319 times)

notpastit

Painful smear tests
« on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »

I am 62 with vaginal atrophy and pain and was referred to the gynecologist to check there is nothing else going on. She decided to do a smear test as it was due anyway. Smear tests have always been difficult as I have a tilted womb and they have become more difficult over the years. But this latest was impossible due to the excruciating pain. This despite having been on Vagifem for a month. They have offered to do one under general anaesthetic. But I am worried about what state I will be in afterwards! Even this failed attempt left me unable to sleep because of the pain that night.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this and if they were offered a general anaesthetic?
Or are there any helpful techniques or numbing meds? I'm not a wuss honest, but they practically had to pick me off the ceiling!  :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:56:00 PM by notpastit »

Limpy

Re: Painful smear tests
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:23:05 PM »

It's not in the same league but I had my smear recently and it really hurt.
Then they insisted on taking my BP immediately after!

Surprisingly, it wasn't through the roof, but the it was a close run thing.

I can't offer any help other than the obvious. Lubrication and warm speculum (or whatever it is that opens us up)
Hope it goes better next time

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »

Firstly  :welcomemm:
2ndly - change your Gynae ....... she/he obviously has no IDEA what atrophy is about.  Neither did I until recently  :-\ )there's a thread about it somewhere  ::) (  ........ you need several weeks of treatment before you will feel able to relax enough.  I wouldn't have a GA unless it is absolutely necessary, in fact, have never heard of that offered before in the UK.  I would be inclined to wait for a couple of months, then go back for a discussion before they even attempt a smear test.  Vagifem, lots more lubricant and patience!

notpastit

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »

Thanks. I guess I'm partly responsible for agreeing - being lulled into a false sense of security due to the help from the Vagifem but now I'm back to square one!  ::)
Apart from the fact that a general anaesthetic should only be used strictly when necessary, it would mean them freely rummaging around doing heaven knows what damage in the process. In particular I think we need more info about what is going on up there before they resume prodding and scraping. Due an ultrasound soon anyway.
You would think that in this day and age procedures would be more refined with local anaesthesia for those with particular problems. At the least I read somewhere they can use a different speculum or that laying on one's side might help?
In the next life I'm coming back as a man.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

I doubt if a Local would be any kinder  ;)

There are brushes now rather than the spatula type but it's getting in and up high enough to get plenty of cells for the microscope which seems to be the problem.  Yep we can never be completely sure who is looking and prodding once we are asleep, particularly in Teaching Hospitals  ::) ......... although I never minded, they won't see a better body than mine  ;D.

Discuss all this with the Practitioner before you have ultrasound.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »

How are you this week?

notpastit

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »

How are you this week?
The 'failed smear' really set me back painwise but now it's reduced to a minor twinge during the day - which, oddly, escalates mid to late evening. If I don't go to bed at that point it continues to get worse and it even hurts to move in bed. But that 'threshold' has been getting later and later. Yesterday evening/night was pain free!  :). Also the painful BMs (which yet may be unrelated) have been going to be replaced by a tingly nerve feeling down my leg!
Ultrasound this Thursday and then (maybe) we'll see.
Thanks for asking

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Is anyone driving you there and back?

notpastit

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Is anyone driving you there and back?
OMG is that necessary?
It's just a pelvic ultrasound. The standard leaflet that came with the appointment mentions the possibility of having a transvaginal scan as well. I've read mixed reports about that and given what happened with the smear I would need to be convinced before agreeing to that.  :o Maybe it's the vagifem But I've now had two pain free days and nights.  :)

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

The people - well ladies - doing the scans are very good.
If there are any problems or discomfort, they will stop.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »

You are now getting relief.  I would put off the scan for at least another 2 weeks if possible.  Having someone to help with driving might be a way of easing any worries, if you are sore afterwards at least you can wriggle without worrying aboug being behind the wheel  ;)

notpastit

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »

I did have some pain in bed last night - a reminder that whatever it is has seemingly gone then come back before  :( Appointments here take ages to come through and I really need to know what's going on. Not too worried about the pelvic one. In fact I'm more concerned about whether I can hold my bladder and whether they find anything untoward!  :o.
The one I worry about is the transvaginal one but at this stage I don't know whether they will ask for it so will cross that bridge if I come to it.
Best (+spare) undies and painkillers at the ready!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:31:32 AM by notpastit »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

Well done!  Let us know how you get on  ;)

notpastit

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 03:21:21 PM »

They did the pelvic scan and couldn't see anything wrong. Then we discussed the transvaginal one and I decided to go for it - providing they agreed to desist at the slightest whimper! It turned out to be a piece of cake -  ;D. Though she couldn't see the left ovary. She said this happened sometimes and was nothing to worry about. I've seen discussions on the net about this and wish they had persevered as it's the left side where I've problems.  ::)
She said the tests could not rule out everything but it's a relief that the 'lady bits' look to be OK.
So next is the smear but I'll wait a while for the Vagifem to work its miracles rather than have one under GA.
If it flares up again, then more poking and prodding will be called for. Fingers crossed...
All this started 6 months ago a couple of days after I had a good wallow in an Epsom Salt bath - so I'm wondering if that caused some irritation/inflammation or even if I got some infection up there??
Anyhow so far so good!  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:56:41 PM by notpastit »

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »

Glad it went well.
Baths, even without Epsom Salt can cause discomfort down there.
I would imagine Epsom Salt could be more drying / irritating.
Not sure, sure somebody will say.
Pages: [1] 2