Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 3781 times)

JeanneA

Just joined
« on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »

Hi, I'm Jeanne, 52 years old and have been going through the menopause for about a year.

Like many I'm not having a particularly good time, I have numerous hot flushes during the day and also night sweats.  I get very tired especially from mid afternoon onwards.  I'm also suffering with a burning tongue, very dry lips, and a horrible taste in my mouth.  I'm also quite forgetful and have aches in my joints.

I'm not sure whether to try HRT or not?  I would welcome opinions please.

Joyce

Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

Hi there & welcome. I've been on HRT for quite some time now. Had a break a few years back, but I was miserable. Flushes, sweats, constant exhaustion, emotional. GP put me back on it again. Currently trying to find minimum dosage I can survive on. I'm 57 by the way.
Some ladies can't take HRT for various reasons, but it's worth discussing with your GP.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »

Hi JeanneA

:welcomemm:

I am 60 and I've been on HRT for just over 6 years.

I stopped for 3 months a couple of years ago but the symptoms came back and new ones appeared, so I went back on it.

I thoroughly recommend HRT, not only for short term symptoms of flishes and sweats, but to help protect the bones against osteoporosis, and bladder/vaginal problems that tend to occur later, if not during peri-menopause - unless as cubagirl says there are medical reasons why you should not take it.

There is a lot of really good information this site - so have a read and between us we have heaps of experience about most types of HRT between us and can advise if you need this!

Good luck!

Hurdity x

JeanneA

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:32:46 PM »

Thanks very much for the welcome and for your advise.  I will have a good look and read other posts as well.  So pleased I found this forum.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »

Welcome from me too.

I am also on HRT. I just not cope with the flushes, broken nights and sweats.

Browse around. As Hurdity says lots of experience here.

Honeyb
X

Oh and a few laughs along the way.

JeanneA

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »

Hi honeybun nice to meet you  ;D  I've had to resort to having sleeping tablets some nights just to get some sleep, otherwise I hardly got any sleep at all due to waking up with night sweats regularly.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

Do you have any particular feelings regarding HRT.

It was a bit of a life saver for me. I have gone on to suffer from anxiety despite being on HRT but I know for sure that I could not cope with full on meno symptoms +anxiety.

Honeyb
X

Rose

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »

Hi my name is Rose, started menopause early and have been on HRT for 10yrs now. Found kilogest to be fantastic but am now experiencing night sweats. Doc says that my body has just got 'used' to the medicine. I have also been experiencing vaginal dryness but when I was given topical estrogen, suffered from raised heat rate and headaches. Went to see my gynecologist and he said that it's not the estrogen that's at fault but all the other stuff that they put into cream! Anyway, just wanted to make contact with other women who are going through nights of sweating and aches and waking up feeling awful. Libido has vanished for a year now..still wondering where it went :)

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:25 PM »

Hi Rose  :welcomemm:  Lots of help, advice and friendship on here.

Taz x

Rose

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »

Hi Taz, just great to know that there are other women out there who suffer too and at least this forum lets us get together. A doctor once told me that women were mean't to have babies from 14yrs old and die at 45! However that's the problem facing so many docs..they just don't know what to do with us menopausal women! I don't know how anyone else feels but I'm betting that if this were a male problem it would be sorted by now! Gosh I sound like a grumpy old woman but as i'm Irish, that's just par for the course!

Evenstar

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:09:04 AM »

Hello and welcome. I'm 51 and really lucky at the moment as I have no symptoms at all although I have had in the past. If and when they return, I am fully intending to try HRT.
   What a lovely Dr you saw :o

Delilah

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »

Hi jeanneA

Welcome to MM, sorry to hear that you're having a difficult time with symptoms, you're not alone as i'm sure you've found from reading all the messages here.

My own experience left me desperate to find anything to relieve symptoms, anxiety and overwhelming emotions being the hardest things to deal with. I've been on hrt now for nearly 2 years but still have lots of ups and downs which i'm told is common until periods stop and hormones begin to settle. Nevertheless i cant imagine having to cope for that length of time feeling as bad as i did.

Theres lots of info here and lovely ladies only too ready to try and answer your questions and thoughts so ask away:-)

Hope you'll feel well soon.

Take care
Delilah x

Rose

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »

Hi Evenstar, yes the doc was nice wasn't she? i couldn't manage without HRT, the symptoms are horrible. I was sterilized at 40 and wasn't informed that early menopause could result. I started menopausal symptoms at 44 and was told that I was 'imagining it' but we do know our own bodies and yes the dreaded menopause was starting. I can't believe that your body gets 'used' to HRT and doesn't work as it did. Does anyone else have aches sometimes particularly after night sweats?