Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: BLOOD PRESSURE & HUBBY  (Read 5041 times)

Cassie

BLOOD PRESSURE & HUBBY
« on: June 01, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

My husband is in his late 50's, slightly overweight, normal cholesterol, does get moderate exercise. His blood pressure remains high, varying between 148 to 160/90. He refuses to go onto medication, I am so worries about him ending up with a stroke, his resting pulse rate is also 100, which to me is way too high. He does tend to have a type A personality, stresses and gets worked up very quickly about things. He does not smoke, eats well, and insists that perhaps there is something herbal or homeopathic that he can take, he is terrible with meds, any ideas dear ladies, for those of you who are on BP medication, are the side effects really bad and what is a very mild one that he can chat to his Dr about possibly putting him onto? I presume, that like thyroid meds, once on BP meds, then its an always on them?

Thankyou x

honeybun

Re: BLOOD PRESSURE & HUBBY
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »

You should get him to have a word with my hubby. He had a heart attack at 50.

He takes beta blockers. Just one in the morning and there are few side effects. They can make you a little tired to start with but that's really it.
Diet is also important. No salt on food. My hubby uses stuff called herbemare. It's tasty but salt free.

Have you tried the emotional blackmail tack. Tell him it's not just for him it's for you too as you are scared what could happen to him and it worries you so much.  You know how it goes.

He may not have to be on meds forever. But surely a pill is better than a heart attack or a stroke.

What is it with men and their health.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »

He' s being a man. They don't do doctors. My hubby is overweight, little exercise but BP is fine though. I can't get mine to have a cholesterol check. My Hubby's attitude is "Something's got to kill me, if it's a piece of cheese, I'll die happy." I've moaned and nagged until I'm blue in the face. His relatives had worse diet than him and lived until 80ish. So you can see why I've given up. I still worry though.
I'm on BP meds though, only 1 tablet per day, absolutely no side effects.

ann123

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »

My hubby has been on BP meds for years, no side effect, lives a normal, healthy life. Your hubby's isn't sky high, maybe GP is expecting him to make better lifestyle choices? If GP wants him on meds, he should take them, he is at higher risk of heart attack/stroke and he should be thinking of how that would be for you!!
My understanding is you are on them for life, they stabilise your BP!!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »

I can see why you are worried Cassie as both readings are in the high range. How much exercise does he take. The blood pressure association suggest a thirty minute fast walk at least five times a week will help and if it isn't possible then you can split the thirty minutes into ten minute sections. It has to be fast enough to get him a little breathless and raise a bit of a sweat.

The other thing is the hidden salt in food. I had no idea that a bowl of cornflakes contains so much salt for instance. It may be worth checking that. Reducing salt and increasing exercise may be enough to bring it down.

I have just had to have the home BP checking monitor from the surgery but apparently mine is not too bad so medication at the moment. It averaged out at 138/80 which is in the pre high blood pressure part I think.

If you begin b medication then you do have to take it for life - not sure why though. My partner is on the meds and has no side effects.

Taz x

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »

If he refuses medication then try coconut water _ Chi on Amazon is good, magnesium Spray , the 5,2 diet and some Hi intensity exercise, (a few minutes of intense activity twice a week ) - google all above for more info.  Look at ways of increasing the "good cholesterol " with omega 3s . All worked with my husband - much to his amazement and the local nurse who wanted to know how he had done it. :D good luck

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »

Men  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Winterose

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Have to say it took several months to get the results