Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Gout ????  (Read 2987 times)

honeybun

Gout ????
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »

Yesterday evening I started to have a very sore big toe. It just started out of the blue. Within an hour my toe was very hot and red and swollen. The swelling also was on the top of my foot. My ankle was also quite painful.

My dear hubby suggested gout. I googled and the symptoms fit. The swelling has gone down but my toe is still painful.

Anyone experienced anything like this.

I thought gout was something old men who drank too much port got.

I now feel older than ever.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

Re: Gout ????
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

Gout is an arthritic condition Honeybun. My dad had this as part of his rheumatoid arthritis but it made him feel ill as well as giving him great pain. During attacks he couldn't sleep in a bed because the weight of the bed clothes was agony. It didn't cause any other part of the foot to swell - just the big toe but during an attack all his other joints became very painful and hot to touch. It needs careful management. It is caused by too much uric acid  - which is worsened by drinking port and having a rich diet in some cases. I would say ask your doc for a blood test to check the amount of uric acid in your blood.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »

Thanks Taz

I don't think I have a rich diet at all. Just the usual stuff.....lots of fish and chicken and very few rich sauces. I do like a glass of red wine of an evening but really only at weekends. It was just the one toe and my ankle bone. I think the swelling on the top of my foot was just because my toe was so swollen it sort of spread a bit. I felt fine except for the toe.

It's still a bit sore but not too bad. I will mention it to the GP when I am next it if it happens again. If it was anyone else then I would tell them to go but I am terrible about that kind of things.

I have wondered about arthritis though because some of my finger joints are getting lumpy and misshapen although they are not painful. In fact most of my joints hurt a bit. Just put it down to meno though. Perhaps I should ask the GP about this. I not that old......yet.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »

It's not an old-age disease though Honeybun! Have a good read through the info in the link.

Taz x  :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

Did you send me a link Taz.....can't see it and would like to read more.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

Well... I thought I did... that's my meno brain again  ;D  http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/gout.aspx

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »

Oh heck....I thought I had a really healthy diet. I eat a lot of fish and thought the oily fish was really good for me. I don't eat a lot of red meat especially in the summer. I have a glass of wine but I do drink a lot of water.

It will be difficult to control this with diet alone. I don't really like the sound of the meds available. Side effects are nasty.

I will have to ask my GP although it seems to have gone ( almost ) as quick as it arrived. Just a bit achy tonight. I have been rubbing on some anti inflammatory cream which has helped.

Not happy with this at all.

Honeyb
X

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:16:04 PM »

You have my sympathies - my husband has suffered from it and it's extremely painful.  He takes Diclofenac on prescription (if he can get an appointment in time) or Volterol over the counter.  Funnily enough, although he travels a lot and doesn't always have the best diet he pinned his down to consumption of pate of all things.  He'd be away for a couple of weeks, eating and drinking rich foods and would be fine.  As soon as he got home he'd eat pate (lots) and within a few days would have a gout attack.  Since realising this he's stopped eating it altogether and hasn't had an attack for over two years.  I suppose what I'm trying to say is although it's hard, try to find out what your trigger is and avoid it.