Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Just starting the menopause journey.  (Read 5340 times)

cate54

Just starting the menopause journey.
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

Hello everyone. What a wonderful site this is. I went to the GP 5 days ago feeling absolutely desperate - exhausted, depressed, weepy, anxious (with OCD), hot flashes and night sweats. The works - plus joint pain and lower leg pain. My health actually deteriorated about three years ago with joint pain and arthritis it's only recently when the hot flashes started that I think it might be all hormone related. I feel like I am 80.  Very stiff in legs after even just walking round the supermarket or getting out of a chair. Going out for a meal it takes me a few minutes to be able to walk properly after getting up from the table.

Anyway, the GP gave me Citalopram to help my mood and is doing more blood tests looking into my leg problems and arthritis. I got home and read the drug information and realised I just didn't want to take it. I thought their must be another way and found this site.

I then went to Boots and bought a ladycare magnet and Menopace tablets. I have just realised that I haven't had a hot flash today so far. I had about 6 yesterday. I also haven't had to go to bed after work for the first time. Hopefully something is working. My mum also swear by vitamin E tablets so I have that to try as well. My GP doesn't think the leg pain is related and I wonder does anyone else have any experiences of it? I wear insoles and only work short shifts.

suzykeens

Re: Just starting the menopause journey.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

Hi there just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  I dont have exactly what you have with your leg but sometimes on a night I have a really heavy feeling like it is too heavy to lift up - I wonder if its anything to do with circulation. Hope someone else may have an answer for you x

cate54

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »

Thank you very much suzykeens. I never thought I would be in such a mess when it came to the menopause. I just didn't know much about it and now not sure I am ever going to feel normal again. My mum said she sailed through it no problem!

fiorinda

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »

Hi Cate54 - I'm new to this forum too!

My legs are very stiff and painful - getting up from chairs is a challenge (add in an inflamed coccyx and it's not much fun getting up and down!!). I feel like an old woman sometimes! First thing in the morning is a challenge. My feet have been painful on rising for as long as I can remember, so now with stiffness from lying still all night getting down the stairs takes a while - and the loo is downstairs!!! I started to notice my knees being a bit rubbish maybe a year or 18 months ago. Walking up hills I'm fine but a few stairs are painful. I work in a library, and getting down to the lower shelves and then back up again is a nuisance too. I'm fine with walking though - it's just really getting moving, once I am then I loosen up again.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can take for joint stiffness and discomfort - anyone know of anything?

Delilah

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:32 PM »

Hi ladies

My symptoms started about two and a half years ago very suddenly with aching joints in places i didn't know you could ache. I could barely move in bed at night and my face actually ached!! I knew it had to be hormonal because it was so dramatic and sudden (no problems up until that point).

It took about a year to ease up although hasn't completely gone. I'm now on hrt, menopace, fish oil supplements, vit d, magnesium. Feeling much improved although not sure which of these is actually making the difference.

I know how you all feel, i too felt as though i'd aged over night. Why not pop to your local health food shop and get some advice from them regarding supplements for aching joints. Hubby also takes high strength cod liver oil tohelp with worn ligaments in his shoulders (work related) and swears they make a huge difference. You need to give them a good 3 months trial though.

Good luck with whatever you try and hope you all feel better soon.

Take care delilah. X

meno lesley

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »

Hi

I take hrt, menopace and vit d when all the meno symptoms kicked off suddenly 2 years ago. I had sudden all over pain and still have problems with feet and lower back. I'm sure its hormone related and do hope one day it will pass and I will stop feeling like a 90 year old.

Lesley x

amaweeuk

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »

Annoyingly, my GP (or some woman they had taken on - work experience) had NEVER heard of pain in menopause.  I will be buying Menopace first thing tomorrow.  Big love to all.

ann123

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »

My GP gave me citalopram and I reacted very badly, couldn't stop throwing up and bad headache which lasted for days. I went out in my car 2 days later and feel asleep at the wheel and crashed into central reservation! I didn't take anymore.
Now on HRT patches. Can't help with aches, I do get aches and pains but just put up with them!