Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 222

Author Topic: what are we cooking tonight ?  (Read 462829 times)

cubagirl

Re: what are we cooking tonight ?
« Reply #915 on: May 07, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »

Our tea was yummy, though Mrs B yours sounds better! Wonder if your recipe would work with DF yogurt. Hint, hint!  ;D ;D ;D

Evelyn63

« Reply #916 on: May 07, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »

BBQ  it was lovely.

Evelyn63

« Reply #917 on: May 07, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »

Oh yes. Crab shack in Oban is fantastic. Got the grand seafood platter last year. £30 but you would easily pay 3x in a restaurant. Took it back and cracked open a nice bottle of rose. Lobster, salmon, langoustines, crab, herring, prawns, mussels, razor clams. was fantastic and highly recommended as Ma Brown has said. Glad they didn't have oysters though. They give me the " boak "
Good Scottish word for you. Look it up🤢

Theres  fish restaurant called Harry's Shack, right on the beach up the North Coast in N. Ireland.  Sounds very similar to the one mentiond in Oban.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/25/harrys-shack-restaurant-review-jay-rayner

Mbrown001

« Reply #918 on: May 07, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »

Yes it does Cubagirl. Daughter is lactose intolerant so if we want her to eat the same as we do then I have to substitute. I used natural soy yogurt with the juice of one lemon. A little bit of grated fresh ginger, a small...very small amount of garlic, a half teaspoon of paprika, a little cayenne pepper and some ground cumin. Salt and pepper. Cube the chicken and marinade either overnight or most of the day. Thread onto skewers with cubed pepper and onion, then either grill under a medium heat or BBQ. I served with a Greek salad and either pitta or wraps. It's really nice. Not too spicy but just nice and the chicken remains juicy because of the marinade.
I know you are dairy intolerant so that would suit just fine.
I hate having to cook something different for my daughter down to her lactose intolerance so I try all sorts of different things and with herbs and spices it suits all of us and she doesn't feel left out.
When she does get left out is when she decides that she won't eat red meat...then I use the substitute for that and just make a small amount for her. She is an on again off again vegetarian/peskitarian that occasionally can't resist a bacon roll  ::)

Oh and son did bring his washing  ;D

Mrs Brown

Hurdity

« Reply #919 on: May 07, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »

Roast pheasant

Hurdity x

cubagirl

« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »

Sounds good Mrs B, will give it a try sometime, though maybe with coconut yogurt instead. I struggle with soya, its the after taste. Apart from coffee shop at the beach which does the most amazing soya hot chocolate!

Mbrown001

« Reply #921 on: May 07, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »

I'm not keen on soya either but this recipe has so many spices in there is no chance of tasting it. The yogurt is just there to tenderise and keep things moist.

I think it would work with any dairy free yogurt though..

Mrs Brown.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #922 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »

Himself has made 25 Cornish pasties [sorry dazned  ;D] .........

We always have roasted pheasant for C.mas Lunch or special birthdays ;-).  Or when we have a glut in the freezer .........

Himself uses coconut 'milk' in cans when making curries, I get to lick the tin .......... [carefully  :D ]

dazned

« Reply #923 on: May 08, 2017, 03:33:04 PM »

Oh I'm so jealous CLKD !  Mmmm I can smell them from here! :clapping:

CLKD

« Reply #924 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »

:lol:  we both cracked and had to try one, straight from the oven.  If I complain of heart burn later  :kick:

DaisyB

« Reply #925 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

I'd gladly suffer the heartburn for one of those Cornish pasties ::)

Mbrown001

« Reply #926 on: May 08, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »

What kind of filling does he use CLKD. I've tried all sorts but never seem to get it just right. Does he make his own pastry or use the ready made shortcrust. I've only ever used the ready made stuff. I've either got too much filling and they burst, or too little and they are dry. Does he cook off the filling before and for how long. What's in his filling or is it a deep dark secret.
Hubby loves a Cornish pasty and I would really like to get it right for once.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #927 on: May 08, 2017, 10:46:52 PM »

Well he takes short cuts compared with how he was taught by a Cornish man years ago  ::)

Mince: salt: pepper: boiled down tomatoes added to the mince. Chopped carrots and swede.  Cooks mince and veg. separately.

Buys ready-2-roll pastry.  Initially he was taught to use a large dinner plate to make the shapes, add the cooked mixture and seal.  Of course the miners would have meat in one end and jam in the other with large 'ears', which would be thrown away for the rats because the ears may well contain contaminants.  Cooked in the oven until done, all of his split today  ::) so will need eating in a dish with a spoon.

When he made his own pastry there was no splitting  :-\

cubagirl

« Reply #928 on: May 09, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Tonight is corned beef hash.

CLKD

« Reply #929 on: May 09, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »

:-\  :-X I HATE corned beef .......
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 222