Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: puppy in kennels  (Read 11443 times)

kerrieann

puppy in kennels
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »

hi all just wondering if anyone else has had this dilema we have had a new puppy now since the end of feb and hes been brilliant all house trained and really good now we go abroad every year and we knew this before we had mister (the pup) but now my other half is finding it very hard to put him in kennels he is 5 months old now and iam sure he will be fine but our last dog who was 15 always stayed with family and thats not possible now so just wondering if anyone had ant thoughts   me with my anxiety this seems probably a whole lot worse than it is but cant stop thinking what should we do ??

Limpy

Re: puppy in kennels
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

Might be worth asking RSPA for advice, they should understand how you feel.
How long are you away?

Just had a thought - aren't there home sitting services that come and stay while you are away?
I think they may look after pets as well.
Though the last time I looked, they seemed a bit dear, but this was for a 6 month stay.....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:58:55 AM by Limpy »

kerrieann

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »

we go for a week and i know it may seem a bit ridiculous but it worrying me i dont want to give up my holiday and iam torn i know alot of people wouldnt give a damn but we are animal lovers and you cant change that can you  :) never thought of rspca they maybe giude us in direction of good kennels thanks

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:03:57 AM »

kerrieann  it doesn't seem daft at all

"Home sitters" may also be a solution, then mister can stay where he knows. Don't know about the cost....

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:07:32 AM »

It doesn't seem daft but I am sure he will be fine. If you intend to holiday every year as most people do then the sooner you begin to leave him in kennels the better. Check out the kennels first. Turn up unannounced to have a look around, you can do this at different times of day if you want, and also see if you can get recommendations from others as to the best one in your area.

Taz x

kerrieann

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »

thanks all we did look at the home sitters but other half is a bit wary with all the stories you hear now not sure if we want a complete stranger in the home if you know what i mean but ti think we will visit a few of the local kennels and have a look around  :)  think alot of my problem is this damn anxiety and over thinking things lol i even thouught someone may come on here and sauy we shouldnt have had the dog  tooo much anxiety  :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:39 AM »

It's only one week out of 52 weeks - of course you should have had the dog! I used to worry about putting my cat into the cattery - my husband worried too but it was more about the cost than the cat  ;D

Now that my youngest son has left home I have just, now, realised that I will probably have to start using the cattery again - although, thinking about it, we usually take holidays separately so that should work out ok after all. Minor panic avoided!

Taz x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »

Ask at your vets as well, they will usually recommend one or two.  The puppy will be fine - ours go to kennels when we go away and we worry far more than they do - they always come back well looked after and happy, it's just me that worries about them the whole time ;)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »

Just a thought.

Did you buy from a breeder. When I had my golden retriever she went back to the breeder when we went on holiday.
I am sure she will be fine in kennels....My only concern would be she will loose her house training.
Make sure she has had her kennel cough vaccine as well.

It's so hard....we always take our dog with us now. I just can't leave her behind but as we always holiday in this country it's not a big problem.

Honeyb
X

Firewalker50

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »

Hi Kerriann

If it helps to know, my ex sister in law has been doing dog-sitting for years.
My fairly new neighbour also does it.  I have seen some of the dogs back again and when I spoke with him he says they have regular 'visitors' when owners go on holiday.

We used kennels with our dog.  We visited a couple (one did not allow regular visitors because the dogs got agitated when people were constantly going in and out of the kennel areas).  then again they were run with the ex-headmistress of my daughter's school and I did not like her then lol.    We found a place, we liked the people, like the exercise programme and exercise fields.  turned out some years later my colleague has used the same kennels.    Do you have friends/colleagues who can recommend somewhere?

We felt bad leaving her so I sympathise completely Kerriann.  However, you have to get your head round it or take the dog on holiday with you. 

Fx

kerrieann

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »

thanks everyone dont feel so daft now think i will be dragging my other around kennels to check them out and ringing the vet to see if they can recomend any would love to holiday in this country as i love devon and cornwall from childhood memories but we just never seem to get the good weather anymore :(

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »

One kennel I used actually took the pups into their home.

She will be fine. It's us humans that feel guilty. The dog has no idea until they turn up and are left.
I always used to leave in tears.
One of my dogs refused to have anything to do with me when we picked her up. She welcomed everyone else. I gave her a doggy treat and she was sick on my shoes. Says it all really.....  ;D

Honeyb
X

kerrieann

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »

made me smile honeyb ;D can just imagine our dog  being like that he can totally ignore us now if he chooses to and hes only a few months old he will sit and look the other way

lily

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »

Just think of it as your dog getting a wee holiday too, but take him to visit the kennels a few times so it's not completely strange to him.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »

Don't ask the RSPCA.  GO to your local Vet Surgery there may be loads of animal 'aunts' on their notice board.  Ask other dog walkers what they do.  Mine never went to kennels despite my promises before we bought her  ;) ....... we used a small book "Pets Welcome" for accommodation that is pet friendly, dealing directly with the owners and never through an agency.

Haven't read the other responses only just back  ;)
Pages: [1] 2