Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What Is Happening In Our World ?  (Read 14077 times)

Meggie

What Is Happening In Our World ?
« on: May 24, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »

This is probably NOT the correct place to air this but I am so saddened to see the horror on TV of the horrific, aggressive attack on the young soldier in Woolwich.  I don't know what the world is coming to and fear for our children and grand-children.  I sit here watching the news and see his amazing family, so proud of everything Drummer Lee Rigby achieved in his very short life.  My heart goes out to them all.

A very tearful Meggie

Rowan

Re: What Is Happening In Our World ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »

Its upset and horrified me too, I come from a Service family and I know what all Military families are feeling after watching the terrible events yesterday.

My heart goes out to the family.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »

I cried as I watched his family.

My boy is 24, handsome,with his whole life in front of him.

There by the grace of God go I.

What is our world turning into.

I could not say on here what I would do to the animals who did this. Just say they would never see the light of day again. They don't deserve it.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »

It is so heartbreaking and it really brings it home to me what is going on in other countries all the time. I guess we don't know how many incidents such as this are thwarted before they can be carried out.

Our world has always been troubled it's just that it has not often happened on "our" streets.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:21:20 PM »

Why though.

Why is this happening.

Our whole world is changing and I really don't like what I see.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »

It's always happened in quite a few parts of the world but it hasn't reached here - now it is here too due to the movement of people from one country to another. As with every population you have good and bad. In these days of the internet where people can connect with each other instantly then the world becomes a very small place. I suppose I mean that, yes, "our" world is changing but a lot of the world has been like this for some time.

I don't like it either.

Taz x  :(

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »

Perhaps you look back with rose tinted glasses but things seemed better years ago.

We don't have the cultural mix in my little part of the world. The one thing we did have was religious devisions. It's really the only thing that we have had.

I watch the news with disbelief these days. The minority groups seem to be so protected and the rest of us have to sit back and watch.

Yes there have been dreadful atrocities in other parts of the world. But now it is in our society and some have such hatred for the country they live in.

Where does it stop.

Honeyb
X

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »

Weren't the women brave who asked if they could go to the man and comfort him (although sadly he was already dead) and the woman who confronted one of the killers and asked why he had done it.

The whole thing was just too horrifying - I couldn't believe it had happened here at first.

Again, I do wish they wouldn't ask those poor families to go in front of cameras when they have suffered such a terrible loss.

I also felt that the news was too graphic - imagine if it was a member of your family. To see and hear all the awful details over and over again. I realise that in this age of mobile phones, many more images are available to the media than ever before but all the same, I do think there should be some restraints.

It's become a very frightening world

ariadne xx

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »

The religious divisions seem like nothing compared to nowadays. As for TV channels showing those pictures - someone should get into serious trouble over that. Young children watch the TV, very impressionable.

I couldn't watch the family on TV tonight, far too upsetting. Why do they always do this? Sensational journalism.

There have been so many awful news stories this week.

lily

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

I think everyone has already said everything I have thought on this truly shocking event, apart from that yet again these people were already on the radar!  Why can't they do something about known/suspected radicalists?  Totally agree about too much media coverage on the horrific details and how the poor family will ever get over this, I don't know.  :'(

smudgesmum

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:18 PM »

I was in tears watching the family on the news  :'(

I just think we have gone too far here in the UK with Political Correctness... and I remember a famous speech from Enoch Powell but sadly I think he was right...

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

Can't even begin to imagine how the family move forward from this.
To be honest I don't think you can.

I don't consider myself to be prejudiced in any way toward anyone.

I think my feelings are changing.
I don't want this in our country.

There are so many more things I want to say but I suspect I would be chucked off the forum.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »

I think media to blame. They get their teeth into something & don't let go! Sky TV in particular are bad for this.  Therefore we feel that things are maybe much worse than they actually are. Or is that just me trying to remain positive?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »

We had it in Northern Ireland.  There is a lot still going on 'over there' that the media don't report.  I wish that if we hugged someone close that the hug would ripple like a stone on a puddle.  Sadly people have pent up anger .......... we went on the Crusades and now the Muslim World are getting their own back.

How was it obvious that he was a Serving Soldier?

I think that the individual events are really bad, but the media can drag them out.  Think of how many are never reported ....  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 03:17:44 PM »

He was in uniform CLKD.

How did this work. Did these animals wake up and think this is the day we will kill a soldier.
Anyone will do.
Any street will do.

How does anyone's mind work and what chance do we have to stop these things. There are many disaffected young men being radicalized and are prepared to do these things.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2 3