Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Ovary removal symptoms  (Read 5344 times)

Jools

Ovary removal symptoms
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »

I am recovering from having my ovary removed. I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago because of abnormal cells but my ovaries were left intact. I thought I was starting the menopause last year, having hot flushes, gaining weight, becoming very depressed etc. My GP sent me for a scan for another symptom of pain in my lower abdomen. That was how a cyst on my ovary was revieled. When I came around after the op I was told they had taken the ovary too. I was so desperate to get home I didn't ask what I should. I have had a very rough 4 weeks since. I ache, have period pain-like pain, I feel enormous (I can only wear maternity smocks) I feel like I am not even standing up straight. I still have my (dissolving??) stitches quite intact and sticking out (Ihad laperoscopy which I thought would be a doddle!).On top of this I can not stop crying and I am not interested in anything. I feel like my life is over and I shall never be the same again! I am 50 years old and a primary school teacher. I can not imagine having the energy or the comfort to return to the classroom. Why do I feel so bad? Should I have HRT or something? No one has talked to me and I have not even been asked to go for a follow up appointment.

Suzi Q

Re: Ovary removal symptoms
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

OK first off laps are not as easy and pain free as is made out by Doctors and TV shows
Sometimes they have to try 2/3 times to get the lap procedures done
Part of the procedure is the fill you up with gas to extend your tummy and allow every organ to be seen
Google your operation and check to see if your symptoms are a likely side affaect
Make an appt first thing MOnday for as soon as you can to see your GP say its an emergency if it will help
Write down all the above and tell your GP also write down questions you shoyuld have asked or now want to ask lap operation/procedure is still an operation end result is the same inside body and mind but its made out to be a doddle
Almost nothng like having a tooth filed it isnt any operation is an assault on your body and the pain and shock is crap
Soem people it is easier but more and more people i meet now adays find its not as easy as they thnk or were told
My pal just had his gall bladder removed he found out they tried 3 times to do the lap before they succeded
He was in agony for 2 weeks and is only now anohter 2 weeks later finding his feet but he still cant work and hes 45
No follow up I dont understand that maybe you will get a letter for that it has to be done a check by surgeon
Id be crying so dont fret Id be wailing like the waikling wall youve had oyur OVARY removed and it will affect you
SO GO MONDAY OK and huge hugs and IM sure your 100% normal in your reaction xxxxxxxxxxx

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »

Jools how awful for you. I too had ovaries removed laparoscopically ( is that even a word?). Anyway you catch my drift. Mine was 10 years after hysterectomy. My op didn't go to plan. I had so many adhesions around one ovary that it nearly ended up as a bigger op. Luckily I had a consultant who was expert at ovary removal. Ladies in ward were worried about me as apparently I was away for a considerable time.  However, a day later I went home. Yes I was in pain, but was able to return to light duties at work within a few days. I worked with children too.
I don't think you should still be suffering so much after 4 weeks though. You need to get yourself checked out.   :hug:

Jools

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »

Thanks. Will ring docs on Monday.

Anne B

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »

Jools
Sorry to hear you are struggling. The girls are correct, you need checked as I would say to be in this amount of discomfort doesn't sound right to me.
The way you describe how you feel emotionally is how I felt after having my hysterectomy last year with removal of ovaries as well. It was definitely a hormone crash with me.
I think you should consider asking about HRT to see if that alleviates some of your symptoms.
You shouldn't have to suffer like this Jools and I really hope you can get some answers and feel better really soon.
Take care. Xxx

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »

Did you manage to get appointment Jools?

Jools

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »

Can't get in to see my lady gp til next week but at last got my results from the hospital "no follow up" which I assume is good! Again nothing is ever explained!