Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Odd Period  (Read 3726 times)

Anna

Odd Period
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:35:51 AM »

Hi
I know this will have been discussed before but I think I just need some reassurance.  I'm 49 and still having fairly normal if irregular periods, anything between 22 - 29 days with only a few longer than that.  This one started on Tuesday but was very light and got a bit heavier Wed, not much Thurs through the afternoon but yesterday evening and this morning it's become heavier (more like a normal day 1).  The variation frightens me so this morning I decided to post here rather than stress myself and worry alone. ( apologies for the detail).

Taz2

Re: Odd Period
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »

Hi Anna - welcome to the forum.

No apologies needed - we discuss everything on here. Variations in periods such as you are experiencing are typical of peri-meno (the years before meno) and I am sure it is nothing to get stressed about. The hormone levels fluctuate so much that the body gets a signal to start a period and then the hormone levels may drop (or rise) and so the period is slowed down or switched off and then it changes again and the period starts again. That's the way I see it - not very technical though - sorry!! Some women begin experiencing heavy, prolonged periods and others just see theirs gradually tail off to nothing. Cycles can change totally - becoming very close together or going months without. It can be frustrating no longer knowing how your body is working.

Someone else will be along soon to welcome you. You will get lots of support on here. If you type Periods into the search box in the blue bar at the top of the screen it will bring up others posts on this.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »

Hi Anna,
 :welcomemm:

I agree with Taz,don't worry! :)

You will get lots of support on here!

Dyan X :)

Machair

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:17:10 PM »

My latest periods are just like yours. They take an age to get established and then the heavier days are later on and then they drag on sometimes for 2 weeks but are minimal. They also stop and start as well so maybe nothing for a few hours and then it starts again. I think it is hormonal as the variation between cycle length is getting more erratic too.x

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »

You are not alone in having this.

Mine went from light to heavy and every thing in between. Then I started to miss months on end.

It's a fun filled journey that we all go on but there is lots of help here.

Sometimes just knowing that there are others having the same is very reassuring.

Honeyb
X

Anna

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:08 AM »

Thank you so much for your reassurance.  It helps so much knowing that others experience similar issues.  It finally stopped on Monday, which was longer than normal for me, so all well again.....until the next one. :)

Take care
Anna x