Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: My cure for hot flushes!! SAGE!!!  (Read 5774 times)

gillybean

My cure for hot flushes!! SAGE!!!
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

I had suffered for about 2 years or longer sometimes up to 25 per day, really debilitating.

GP wouldn't give me HRT due to the risks, she recommended black cohosh, it gave me stomach cramps, then she said isoflavines which reacted badly with my thyroxine drug (which she should have known about) then she recommended red clover, which also contained isoflavines (again she should have known this)

I then read Carol Barnes (late newscaster on ITN)  an article where Sage really helped her flushes. I tried it and I can't believe after 2 months now I can't remember the last time I had one.

So please if you're suffering like I did, give it a try, inexpensive from ebay simple sage herbal tablets.

Taz2

Re: My cure for hot flushes!! SAGE!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »

Hi gillybean - I've just read your post about starting a period after ten months without any and although your lack of flushes might be down to the sage it is also common for flushes to disappear in the weeks leading up to a period. I really hope that the sage is working for you but be prepared!

Taz x

gillybean

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »

I have had flushes when I had periods regularly too, so unsure.....also they could be a placebo but I doubt it, I don't really care as long as they work!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »

Just wanted to mention it that's all! I used to have flushes when I had periods but for the ten days or so before a period the flushes would stop. I never had a flush while bleeding. I will keep the sage in mind when I have to stop HRT next year due to age... unless I can persuade the GP!

Taz x

Evenstar

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

Could I ask how you take the sage?

gillybean

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »

Initially I took 2 tablets a day and now i take just one, easily obtainable from a herbalist on ebay

Evenstar

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Oh right. Thanks. Not getting them at the mo but will remember and try that if and when I get them back again. :)

Tina1957

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »

Hi Gillybean

Just read your post - how long did it take to feel any effect from the Sage?

After having to stop HRT at Xmas and suffering from horrendous hot flushes and sweats I started taking Sage approximately 5 weeks ago - 2 Capsules twice a day (Holland & Barratt). 

Sadly, I have had no affect from it at all and to be honest was about to stop taking it  and go back to the GP - just wondering if I need to persevere with it a little longer or should I have seen some improvement by now?

Tina