Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Euthanasia  (Read 7539 times)

honeybun

Euthanasia
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »

Following on from the worried about getting older topic.

What is your opinion on the thorny topic of euthanasia?

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Euthanasia
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

At the right time in the right place .......... you mean for humans rather than animals?  If a person is known to have a life shortening illness where the pain is uncontrollable, then yes. 

ellie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »

Totally agree.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »

:thankyou:  I have a dread of pain, especially when I know that it can be eased.  But the medics are so stuck in keeping to the 4 hourly regime or not topping up as required  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »

Yes for us and not our pets.

I think we should have the right to choose how we end our lives. But if we are not capable but have told our loved ones what we want. What should happen then.

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:19:20 PM by honeybun »

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »

If it was a beloved pet.....would you do the kindest thing.

Honeyb
X

pixie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

It already happens when 'someone' decides to switch off a ventilator when someone say in a road traffic accident is paralysed and  becomes 'brain dead'.

A lot of dying people are on morphine infusions, and the dose is increased gradually, and eventually the person just drifts off.......In this way, it is allowed to happen, rather than forced, by either the person themselves or anybody else.  Unfortunately vets can't give pets morphine. 8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:35:14 PM by pixie »

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »

Right circumstances, I'm all for it. My MIL was doped to eyeballs on morphine at the end as we had informed the staff we didn't want her suffering, which she didn't.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »

I made that decision for both of my parents and it was a calm and dignified ending.  It can only happen though if the person is on some sort of treatment. This can then be withdrawn and the morphine pump put into place. It usualaly takes forty eight hours from then. It is not an easy decision but if you consider them and their situation rather than how much you, yourself, will miss them it becomes much clearer as to what you should do.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

FIL couldn' t bare to watch his wife suffering. In fact he wasn't there at the end. He'd nipped home for something to eat, we'd left to head up here. I said on the way home that she wouldn't see the rest of the day out. I was right. She went just as Hubby's dad was heading back.

Evenstar

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »

I think everyone has the right to die in a dignified way. Its not right to keep someone alive as long as possible, when they have a terminal illness, are in dreadful pain or have no quality of life.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »

Small pets are given an overdose of barbiturates I believe.  Quick and relatively painless.  I am not good at pain, my threshold is low.  I think people would 'enjoy' their final months/days better if they knew there is a regulated relief from pain when it is required.

Melbury

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »

I think it is cruel keeping people alive when they are suffering - not just for them but also their nearest and dearest.

Suzi Q

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »

It already happens when 'someone' decides to switch off a ventilator when someone say in a road traffic accident is paralysed and  becomes 'brain dead'.

A lot of dying people are on morphine infusions, and the dose is increased gradually, and eventually the person just drifts off.......In this way, it is allowed to happen, rather than forced, by either the person themselves or anybody else.  Unfortunately vets can't give pets morphine. 8)

You are soooooooooooo  correct been doing this for years way back in to the 40s maybe even before
In hospitals they used to be called the famous night nurse or Doctor all to ease paon to end a life with dignity
Yes if I had a terminal illness so bad that pain releif was no longer working end it for me Ive told this to my family

leony

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »

I agree as well if its an incurable disease and there is no quality of life left you should be allowed to go out with your dignity intact I have told my OH and children this.
Pages: [1] 2