Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: awful vibration in base of skull  (Read 6493 times)

rosekay

awful vibration in base of skull
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »

This has happened on and off for some years, maybe only once or twice a year. But this morning it happened again for the second time in a couple of weeks.
I was perfectly relaxed, not even out of bed - sitting up watching birds through window - suddenly the feeling hit me.  You know when you bang your funny bone, you get that vibration down your arm? Well it is the same feeling, at base of my skull - not just a dizzy feeling, an actual physical vibration that lasts about 5 -10 seconds. Absolutely horrible. No pain, I didn't twist or move oddly, just comes completely out of the blue. It affects me for ages afterwards because I am wondering if it will happen again and it's really scary. Does anyone relate to this? It's really bothering me, I'm noticing every tiny feeling in my head and I can't speak to the doctor about it till tomorrow.  Would love to hear from anyone who can help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: awful vibration in base of skull
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

I have odd aches and pains, I get electric zaps through my brain which make me shout out loud - I take medication which causes these but they are unpredictable and come out of the blue!

Do you have a trapped nerve in your upper cervical spine? 

ellie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »

Is it like a sudden shiver in your head?.........I get this and it started when I  developed fybromyilgia ..a very odd feeling.

rosekay

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »

I don't think I have a trapped nerve - no other symptoms really. It is exactly like that funny-bone feeling, but comes out of nowhere.  This morning when it happened my hands went straight to my head and I'd said "I''m scared!" without even thinking about it.  It is such a strong and intense feeling I can't ignore it.  I have read about people having something similar, but they all have dizziness after it - as soon as the feeling passes, there is nothing else except the worry of why, and will it happen again?

rosekay

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:09 AM »

Thanks for all your replies, it does help to put things in perspective!
I have just been to the doctor, who was really lovely. The first thing she asked was if there was anything I was afraid it might be - I was really worried about stroke/tumour - and she put my mind at rest about that. She did some neuro tests and although she couldn't say exactly what was going on she was sure it wasn't dangerous - most likely a sudden nerve flare-up. If anything changes or gets worse, come back and see her again. Made me feel reassured, she said she was glad I had gone to see her. What a lovely doctor! Feel much better now. 

MINNIE

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »

Good afternoon rosekay, and other ladies. If anyone had told you about these symptoms before you came onto the forum, you would have they were bonkers wouldn't you? Unbelievable that noone has ever written about the "out of the box" weirdness, menopause is not just about hot flushes, but unexplained reactions to hormone depletion! I write this today as I have the most bizarre "buzzing" in my left leg, coming in waves of about 2-3 seconds! I am so much calmer about all of this now, whereas before I would have been out of my mind with imaginery illnesses! I am seeing a physiotherapist for physical therapy tonight as I have bulging back discs, another hormone caused symptom! She may or may not be able to explain it, bound to be a pretty, miles from menopause, young thing!!!

MINNIE XX
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:02:55 PM by MINNIE »

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »

Good health to all of us today and tomorrow and for as long as possible Love Suzi Q xxxx