Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello.....  (Read 3599 times)

Liz

Hello.....
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »

I've been reading the forum for a while, because of my symptoms but have just joined.  I'm 45, I first noticed my symptoms about 18 months ago.  These were sweating (even Mitchum deodorant doesn't stop it!), disruption to my sleep pattern such as waking very early in the mornings, but falling asleep on the sofa before 9 at night.  Periods went from 28 days to around 21 days and sometimes 18 days.  They mainly got lighter but some were heavier.  I also suffered from lots of itching and swelling down below, which I thought was thrush, but sometimes it obviously wasn't because treatment didn't work.

I also started to get joint pain, swollen knuckles and had an x-ray but these were fine.

Sadly, I had a very traumatic year in which my Dad was very ill and eventually passed away (I spent six weeks sitting with him in hospital).  Anyway, I think this accelerated my symptoms.  I began having panic attacks and was very intolerant to noise (especially music from my neighbours or hearing people enjoying themselves).  Obviously, I was grieving at the time but eventually went to the GPs and had blood tests for menopause.  These did show that I was in peri-menopause but then my GP retired.  I went back to see a different GP and he prescribed me Fluoxetine, as he said these would help with the sweats and the "depression".  Obviously, I was upset at losing my Dad, so I took his advice.  I only stayed on the Fluoxetine for 7 weeks as I saw another Dr who prescribed me Prempak C 0.625 tablets.  Tried these for 3 months but they gave me bad headaches, so I came off them and tried natural remedies, without much success.  Also tried St John's Wort for my low mood and panic attacks. The noise intolerance continued and I found myself anxious about hearing music from next door.

After suffering this for another few months, I went back and saw a lovely new GP.  She has prescribed me FemSeven Sequi patches and I started these 5 days ago (on the first day of my period).

I'm holding out that these patches work.  I have to say I do feel a bit better, my neighbours had a barbecue today and had their music on and I managed to sit out in my garden for a while.  A few weeks ago, this wouldn't have been possible - it would have made me very anxious.  Can anyone relate to this?

The patch has managed to stay put for 5 days (despite 2 showers per day) but the very edges have started to lift.  I'm due to change it on Wednesday morning, so I assume the very slight lifting of the edges won't matter?

Can anyone else relate to my symptoms?  I was very hesitant about HRT as my grandmother died before I was born of breast cancer, but to be truthful I really needed something to make me feel better.  I understand that the risks with regard to breast cancer don't really kick in until age 50 anyway - hope I've understood that correctly.

Thanks for reading.
 :)

Kathleen

Re: Hello.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »

Hello Liz and welcome to the forum. I recently joined this site and have already found that the knowledge and support of the ladies here has helped me tremendously.
Like you I find that I am very sensitive to loud noise, infact the last time I went to the cinema I  tried to reduce the volume by sitting with my fingers in my ears, even low levels can make me twitch and jump!
I'm afraid I can't comment on the HRT aspect of your post but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you.
K.

Suzi Q

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:37:16 AM »

Welcome Liz xxxxxxxxx

Evenstar

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »

Welcome to the site. I've been lucky enough to not have to resort to HRT as yet, but the advice on here has been invaluable for when that time comes.
  I'm sure somebody will come along soon that will beable to help you more xxxx

Clovie

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 07:55:17 AM »

Hi Liz

Welcome, and so sorry to hear about your dad  :(

Awww, I know what you mean about anxiety relating to noise, I'm not quite the same - but I do/did find I was irritated more by other people than normal!!!  ;)
I've only recently started my journey on HRT, and have since had the revelation that I am and always have been intolerant of progesterone (PMT, PND after babies, awful mood swings insomnia and anxiety etc)
When I am influenced by progesterone, the PMT days or the days on prog phase of HRT, I find I am REALLY irritated by other people for doing things that wouldn't normally bother me so much. (I would go as far as to say I get a paranoid!  ;D)

Fingers crossed that your new patches work brilliantly for you!!
It's no fun feeling anxious, but be kind to yourself Liz, you've been through a lot.... xx

Liz

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »

Thank you for all the lovely welcomes...... I'm now onto my second patch of the Femseven Sequi and have to say, I think I'm starting to feel better.  Not so "irritated" at the moment.  Not sure I've got them to stick properly, though, as by the fourth day the edges start to lift.  I started with one on my bum cheek but this time have put it on my thigh. 

Any other Femseven Sequi users out there?  x

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:53:42 AM »

Hello - I'm also new!  I can relate to your noise irritation!  I get annoyed at noisy car exhausts and dogs barking etc.  I put my annoyance down to old age LOL!  I remember my Mum being the same when she was in her 60's (which I am now) so I try to keep calm and deep breathe as I don't want to turn into my Mum  ;D

Evenstar

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »

Goodness, I do hope I don't get the same about noise. I have an 8 year old and I foresee a great deal of noise coming my way!! ;D ;)