Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem 25 mcg discontinued???  (Read 18041 times)

mand3966

Vagifem 25 mcg discontinued???
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:11:39 PM »

Hi ladies,

Not posted on here for a while, things seem to be going well with the Evorel Conti patches, a year and 3 months since starting on the patches,  and vagifem 25 mcg that I have been taking for roughly 3 years or so.

Well, went to pick up my 3 monthly repeat precription after work tonight, and was told by the pharmacist that the 25 mcg strength of vagifem has been discontinued, and was given 10 mcg ones.... not only that, but instead of getting the usual 30 tablets for the price of one prescription, the 10 mcg box only contains 24 tablets!

When I asked the pharmacist if I still take 2 a week, was told, 'yes, carry on your normal routine, even though they are a lower dose, it has been proven that 10 mcg works just as well as the 25 mcg and obviously will give you less side effects'.
As I don't get any side effects from the vagifem, I don't really care what strength I am taking, just want to make certain it does its job!
I am now worried that going from my normal dose of 50 mcg a week, right down to 20 mcg a week (quite a decrease) is going to have some effect and leave me in pain during and after intercourse as before!  Surely that amount of  decrease in treatment is going to have some effect????
I can see myself resorting to taking 5 tablets a week to get my normal ration!!!! hee hee...

Just wanted to know if any other ladies have also been told about the 25 mcg being discontinued, and if so, and they are taking the lower dose, has it had any effect????

Many thanks,
mand3966

honeybun

Re: Vagifem 25 mcg discontinued???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »

There is another topic running on this mand.

I think all your questions will be answered there.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »

mand3966

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

Thanks honeybun,

I was so keen to post my question on the forum that I didn't check first to see if a topic on the subject had already been posted..... just had a good read of all the ladies comments, and am so happy I still have one box of 25 mcg to use!  At least I know I can cope for another 7-8 weeks!  Trouble is, my 10 mcg's kick in just as I'm due to go on holiday! great!

Thanks again,
mand3966

mand3966

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

Thanks for the thread taz2,

I'll take a read......

Elena

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »

Maybe just use 2 at a time during your holiday?  Then try the new dose once you return.

scriv

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:54:48 AM »

Hi Mand... yes, I agree with Milliemoo. Speaking from experience, I would also  recommend you wait until you come back to try out the lower dose and use 2 x 10mcg twice weekly whilst away.

You will see all my comments on the other thread, but these comments from the pharmacists ' it has been proven that...' make me so cross. This statement was based on a survey of a mere few hundred  - 230? - women across the US. GRR.

mand3966

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:24:20 AM »

Thanks both Milliemoo and Scriv for the advice,

Hadn't thought of taking 2 x10mcg twice weekly whilst on holiday (can I take two tablets at the same time, or do I need to spread them out over 4 days?), even then its still a lower dose than my normal 50 mcg a week though! It just makes me so cross that this can happen when theres probably thousands of women out there who count on the 50 mcg dose!

Scriv, as you say, when the pharmacist commented about it being proven that the lower dose doesn't make a difference, I immediately thought of this site, and wanted to reply back that I'm sure I can find plenty of women who would not agree with his comment!

Any how, I will use my 25mcg ones up, and then as suggested take the 40 mcg weekly whilst away, and then try the 20 mcg a week after! Dreading that though, and as soon and if any pain returns I'm straight back to GP to get 2 boxes of tabs each 3 months and not one!!!! I pay for my prescriptions and would pay alot of money not to have the horrendous pain back like before which meant that my husband and I three years ago at the ages of 43 and 45 only had sex 3 times in a year!  I do not want to go down that route again!

Thanks again,
mand3966

Elena

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »

Yes it'll be fine to take the two at once, as you say it  is still less than your current weekly dose.

Makes me cross too!  These people have clearly never suffered.

ann123

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »

I am exact same as you, patches and vagifem, I was on 25mgs for 4 years, now on 10mgs and I have been fine, not noticed any affect at all. If I had I was going to increase to 3 tablets to see how I got on. But I have been fine.
Ann

mand3966

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »

Thanks the the positive post ann123, I suppose before being negative, I should just wait and see how I get on.... all may be fine x  Nice to hear someone is doing ok on the lower dose who has been on the higher dose for about a year longer than me x

Thanks for the answer to my question Milliemoo, 2 at once for my hols it is then!

mand3966

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »

Why don't you use one 25 and two 10s in the course of a week when you are away.

Honeyb
X

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 04:59:12 AM »

Hun I agree with you
 I dont like the idea of putting 2x10 in may be one in am one pm is ok but not togeterh seems!!!!

Yes dont ruin your jholiday say 25m then 3nihgtd later 10 then 2 nights later 10 still only 45
Gradually decrese if you can but if it hurts say you needd more xxxx
sorry got a splint in my finger so wont be replying as much it hurts iyts my thumb right hand too sods law
Thanks to my xmas present a kindle I now have a trigger thumb and yeaterday and today a wee wee fanny bggar xxx

Elena

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

but...........2 x 10 is less than the 25 she would be  putting in normally  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

Rather than putting two in at a time use 1x25 and then 1x10 and then 1x10 over a course of a week. Then it's only 5 less than before.

That way the reduction is slower and make the remaining stock of 25 last longer.

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2