Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil  (Read 4281 times)

luv2laff

Mirena Coil
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »

Hi

I had a Mirena coil fitted 6 months ago after a hysteroscopy and D&C.  My periods had been really heavy and flooding and my gynae suggested that the mirena may stop them all together.  However 6 months on, they are certainly a lot lighter (no need for tampons or large towels), but they have been lasting for up to 2 weeks!  I'm finding this so frustrating as I was really hoping they'd stop altogether.  What experiences have others had with Mirena and periods?  I love the Mirena and would not have it removed, in fact I've felt like a new woman since having it put in!  I just wish the damn periods would stop dragging on for a fortnight at a time!  Will they eventually stop completey?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena Coil
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »

Have you checked in the menu on the left of screen - or maybe do a 'search' for Mirena using the button top left?

sweatybet

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »

Hi I tried a mirena and had similar problems. Bleeding 10 days on 10 days off all through the months. This went on for 9 months. Finally got rid of it, felt so much better when it went.

This info says that it won't stop periods in all women but will reduce the flow.

SB

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »

Hi luv2laff

You haven't said how old you are or how far into the meno?

I haven't tried the Mirena but have read that some women with continuing period problems end up having to have an endometrial ablation to control the bleeding.

Have you reported this to your gynae and what has been the advice given? I can imagine it must be really debilitating to bleed for so long, especially when you thought it would be well controlled by the coil.

Glad to hear you feel better otherwise, though.

Hurdity x

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »

I had mine fitted Jan 2012 and still get period pains and light bleeding from time to time. It's certainly better than clotty heavy bleeding, but I think it's at a cost. I get lots of other side effects, leg aches, back ache etc but not sure if that or meno....

ricky

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »

Had mine fitted at the meno clinic new years eve :(

Came off hrt patches at the same time, but have just had my follow up appointment and have been given elleste solo 1mg for this wretched anxiety.

The heavy bleeding stopped straight away, just spotting (well thats what it seems to be to me probably a light period but a funny colour) that lasted last time for a month. It's so nice not to have that flooding every month.

Ricky

Houndielady

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:15:13 PM »

I had a mirena coil fitted for heavy bleeding and clotting. It was great for about 6 months, then my periods became painful and lasted for almost 2 weeks. I was drained. Just like you. I was terrified of having it removed, but it was fabulous afterwards. The hormones weren't agreeing with me which I realised afterwards. It was kind of controlling me and making me depressed.
My periods did become heavier and I went back and was referred for endometrial balloon ablasion. It was a simple day procedure which burns away the lining of the womb. It took a good few weeks afterwards to be totally pain free, but my periods are now about 2 years on just spotting. Fantastic. Highly recommended this procedure.