Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Saying hello and glad to be here  (Read 9749 times)

pdom

Saying hello and glad to be here
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »

Hello everyone

I've been reading bits of information on this great site for really quite a long time... But now I just feel it's time to properly check in. About to start HRT!

I am 49, and have had night sweats since the birth of my daughter 13 years ago. I knew these were hormonal changes, but hey, I could live with them. I didn't really notice anything else, regular periods etc.

Then about two or three years ago things got heavier/lighter, though still regular. Hm. The 'one side of the head' headaches I used to get infrequently before my period became monthly. Hm. I had numerous blood tests: no sign of perimenopause. THEN about 18 months ago I skipped two periods, during which I had absolutely DRAMATIC hot flushes, loss of sleep, etc... whole nine yards. Then my periods kind of sorted themselves, the headaches continued -- and my blood tests still showed nothing.

The migraines became much worse about a year ago, and I also found I wasn't really sleeping through a single night -- hot flushes, but also just... disturbance. Hard to explain. I began to take migraine medicine (the headaches now showed up day 5 of my period, and were often completely debilitating). I also had an ultrasound, which showed a bulky uterus but not a huge deal (I did however have HUGE babies!).

Then I had a couple of staggeringly heavy periods, followed by one which lasted 21 days and absolutely NOTHING would stop it.... Flooding, the lot. Finally I was referred to a gynae clinic. While I waited for the appointment, I dreaded the next period. Which came two weeks later. In some desperation, as it got heavier and flooding, I agreed to try Utovlan (progesterone?): what an immediate effect. Like a tap turning off.

I carried on this drug to help regulate the cycle, but of course the hot flushes and migraines have continued. At last three weeks ago I got into the consultant: she's wonderful, has a great reputation, and immediately said: everything points to hormones here. HRT! She prescribed Elleste Duet 2 mgs, which I start in the next day or two, depending on when my period comes (after stopping the Utovlan).

It was the last thing I expected: it hadn't occurred to me that I could take HRT before stopping my periods, and when they were still sort of regular... But I also had had NO idea how very difficult it would be for me to carry on with my life while all this was going on. My husband (to his credit) also asked in the appointment: why has my wife never tested as being perimenopausal, when clearly everything but everything is pointing that way? For three years she's been told she isn't! He has been a rock throughout; he knows this has been so frustrating.

To which the consultant could only reply: GPs place too much emphasis on blood tests. We, she said, go by symptoms alone, and EVERYTHING I am experiencing points to hormonal imbalance.

Since seeing her three weeks ago I have noticed quite alarming aching joints. I am used to being active, have a busy life with working and two teenagers... And find that my hips and knees just hurt ALL THE TIME. I am really hopeful that the HRT will address this as well.

And as for libido and sex... It's been very difficult. I have found this in particular quite upsetting. Again, I'm really, really hoping that I can get some life back.

I've carried on in every way I know how to, and have managed to hang on I think -- I'm not too down or anxious -- but now that I look, really look, I can see how many things I've been going through may be related to hormones -- even the incredibly marked fatigue. I've been feeling like SUCH a wimp!

I'm sorry for the long message. It's just that I know you all will understand. I'm nervous about all this -- but I've really, truly had enough. My fingers are crossed.

Thank you for listening!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Saying hello and glad to be here
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:40 PM »

:welcomemm:

for DH -  :medal:

for the Consultant  -  :tulips:

My Gynae won't do blood tests because hormones alter so much in any 24/7  ::).  My GP also goes on symptoms.  If you use the 'search' button top left you will find a lot of answers, reading the menus on the left of screen might help too.

I found with the sex issue it is important to be well lubricated, to 'give in' to my husband's prompting and in fact, once started, I do enjoy it.  It is otherwise such a bother <yawn> - cup of tea or  :bed:  ;D

pdom

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »

Thank you, CLKD! Really good to hear from you -- and kudos on the emoticons! They are fabulous!

I confess to having some difficulty finding my way around the forum at the moment... For instance, if I enter Elleste Duet I only find my own post! Or am I doing something wrong?! Sorry. How can I find out about other people's experiences on this particular drug? I think I might need to go to a particular area?

Anyway. Thank you for the warm welcome. Feeling apprehensive, but hey. Life's rich tapestry etc!

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »

Hi pdom and welcome. I think your search could be failing because you are in the New Members thread at the time you enter the search word Elleste. Try clicking back to Menopause Matters Forum and trying your search again. That should bring up every mention of Elleste in all threads.  :)

ariadne xx

Billie Blaster

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »

Gidday Pdom,

Welcome and good luck with your HRT.  Interesting that your and CLKD's doc go on symptoms -- makes more sense.  When I got a blood test a few years back (only because my doc wanted it), she said to me very seriously, 'the test shows that you are in peri-menopause.' I almost laughed -- I didn't, but I did say, 'yeah, I could have told you that.'  Sheesh.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »

Hi pdom

Welcome from me too.

IHopefully you will soon begin to feel better from the oestrogen too - which should control your hot flushes and sweats, and that your bleeding continues to be controlled.

If you were OK with the Utovlan then you should be OK with Elleste Duet re the progestogen because both contain norethisterone, and Utovlan is a much higher dose than in the Elleste.

Was it a gynae consultant you saw?

Some women who suffer from migraines are given transdermal oestrogen (ie patch or gel) in preference so if these do not improve there is always Evorel or Femseven to try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hurdity x

pdom

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »

Hi pdom and welcome. I think your search could be failing because you are in the New Members thread at the time you enter the search word Elleste. Try clicking back to Menopause Matters Forum and trying your search again. That should bring up every mention of Elleste in all threads.  :)

ariadne xx

I think you might be right ariadne! I shall try this. Thought it might be something like this... A rather fuzzy day all round for me somehow! Many thanks. xx

pdom

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »

Gidday Pdom,

Welcome and good luck with your HRT.  Interesting that your and CLKD's doc go on symptoms -- makes more sense.  When I got a blood test a few years back (only because my doc wanted it), she said to me very seriously, 'the test shows that you are in peri-menopause.' I almost laughed -- I didn't, but I did say, 'yeah, I could have told you that.'  Sheesh.

Thanking you. What made me cross was the sudden realisation that I had felt quite undermined for 3 years! I was feeling one thing, but being told another... My OH understood, and sat there with his eyebrows raised...!

Sigh.

pdom

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 09:38:11 PM »

Hi pdom

Welcome from me too.

IHopefully you will soon begin to feel better from the oestrogen too - which should control your hot flushes and sweats, and that your bleeding continues to be controlled.

If you were OK with the Utovlan then you should be OK with Elleste Duet re the progestogen because both contain norethisterone, and Utovlan is a much higher dose than in the Elleste.

Was it a gynae consultant you saw?

Some women who suffer from migraines are given transdermal oestrogen (ie patch or gel) in preference so if these do not improve there is always Evorel or Femseven to try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hurdity x

Thank you Hurdity. Really useful to know this. Okay, shall keep tabs on things. I have been amazed at my good reaction to Utovlan; did not expect such a difference to flow and general sense of control... I'm a little nervous that the reduced norithesterone will not be as effective, but I'm trying to be rational: I'm guessing that the added estrogen will contribute to the balancing of the cycle too?!

Yes, I saw a gynae consultant. She was also the consultant for both my kids, and is known in the area for being rather brusque, but up to speed on research, and sympathetic overall. All of which she was. I confess I waited to see her specifically, hoping her expertise would pay off, which I think it did. Hope so, anyway!

Bed now. Thanks all. I'm so relieved to be on here. Good cheer to everyone.

nelliedee

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

Hi Pdom
Welcome to this fab forum
I have recently started having Migraines and they also start on day 5 of a period. Good luck with your hrt hope you get some relief  :)

pdom

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »

Hi Pdom
Welcome to this fab forum
I have recently started having Migraines and they also start on day 5 of a period. Good luck with your hrt hope you get some relief  :)

Thank you! The consultant did say to me that the timing of my migraines was 'classic'. Not sure if I want to be classic about anything, but hey! Are you taking something for yours?

Waiting around for a period now so I can start HRT and see how it goes. Have been reading elsewhere on site about the bad PMT associated with norethisterone. Certainly last month I was... terrible. Awful. Suicidal, actually, which is not me at all. This month has been better, but I am still snappy and short. I don't like it. If it doesn't ease on HRT, with oestrogen first in combination, I will have to look again. It's not fair on my kids or OH. And knowing this just makes me feel so much worse...! Blasted PMT.

Evenstar

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

hello and welcome :)

Billie Blaster

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 05:20:55 AM »

Gidday Pdom,

Thanking you. What made me cross was the sudden realisation that I had felt quite undermined for 3 years! I was feeling one thing, but being told another... My OH understood, and sat there with his eyebrows raised...!

Sigh.

Yep, there's nothing like being undermined to make you feel like you're the mad one and so very uncertain about things, even though you know how you actually feel and your own good sense is telling you differently from the people that you consult.  It's very hard to not question oneself, isn't it?

pdom

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »

hello and welcome :)

Thank you! Much appreciated.

pdom

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »

Gidday Pdom,

Sigh.

Yep, there's nothing like being undermined to make you feel like you're the mad one and so very uncertain about things, even though you know how you actually feel and your own good sense is telling you differently from the people that you consult.  It's very hard to not question oneself, isn't it?

Yes exactly. I just thought: why did I have those blood tests then?! Someone do some joined up thinking here...! When I go back to the GP to get more drugs, I really will mention what the consultant views as good practice, eg working from symptoms. It's mad that I had such a run around, when I now wonder if I could have started down the road to feeling better a good few months ago, certainly when the migraines became so grim. Sigh!
Pages: [1] 2