Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What do you do to.......  (Read 11636 times)

honeybun

What do you do to.......
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

Cheer yourself up and or relax.

No matter what I try at the moment my mind will not stop spinning.

I have done the usual....relaxing bath....gone for a walk....you name it I have done it but the worries and anxiety are like a huge weight on my back.

Any thoughts ladies.

Honeyb
X

Scampi

Re: What do you do to.......
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

I've found it difficult to switch off recently Honeybun, so I feel for you  :-\

I have found that it helps if I do something 'mindless' - I knit or crochet squares for a blanket (no pattern to follow, or a very simple one at most) and have a dvd on the TV that I don't need to watch properly - often a Poirot or Miss Marple (Joan Hickson version), or a Morse or Lewis I know really well (the Morse episode 'The Wench is Dead' almost always sends me to sleep - it's not boring by any means, but I've seen it so many times I can almost recite the dialogue and my brain seems to switch off!).  Whatever I do, I HAVE to have some background noise (usually TV) - if it's just quiet my brain goes into overdrive and I find myself going over niggly things again and again until they become major issues.

I hope you find the 'off' switch soon Honeybun  :hug:

Trey

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »

If you find the 'off' switch, please send it to me as well.  I find long hilly walks with my dogs is my best therapy, but that is if we aren't interrupted by other barky dogs.  Getting busy physically has always been my shrink (US for psychiatrist).  It used to be athletics and can't enjoy that outlet anymore, but you younger gals can.

Gardening, especially pruning hedges.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:55:18 PM by Trey »

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »

I find playing BigFish games on my computer is a relaxer(the adventure/hidden object ones) also listening to audio books.

Like Scampi I watch, Poirot, Miss Marple, Lewis , Morse, also Rosemary and Thyme ( I know the scripts too) I never watch Bluebloods type ones though.

Listening to the sound on the rain on a CD at bed time is something I do each night too.

To be honest thought I have read all the self help books out there and ones on how to relax, but if the problems that are causing my stress and anxiety can't or are not being solved then I find it very difficult to find anything that works.  The only thing that helps is doing something proactive to sort things out. Its only then my brain starts to calm down.

Everything needs to be well in my world for me to be truly relaxed and happy, not an easy thing to achieve for most people unless we retire to a convent :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »

Have you tried a walk with some music?  I have a selection of stuff I walk to and I love it.  I actually get quite miffed if I have to stop and speak to somebody I know!! ;D  I have some relaxation music, the Gypsy Queens, old Bowie stuff, ancient Tamla stuff, Lesley Garrett, The Priests, Take That, Michael Buble, Robbie Williams,  and loads more .... a real mish-mash but I love it all.

I also knit and crochet a lot and that helps me switch off.  When my Dad was terminally ill I was very anxious and just didn't stop crocheting in my spare time and made a huge throw which I now treasure yet I can barely remember doing a stitch of it.

Have you tried Rescue Remedy?  I used to take that but then got a flower remedy made up specifically for me and that really, really helped.  PM me if you want details, the lady will post them on. 

Hope that helps.

Elena

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

Depending how energetic I feel:

Put dance music/upbeat/hiphop/whatever music on loud and dance around kitchen.

do housework to the above - kill 2 birds with one stone :)

Listen to relaxation cd while lying on floor or in warm bed

Watch something light and mindless on tv or dvd

Read book (not easy if you are having trouble concentrating though)

Take self down to shops.  Need energy for this.  Ditto dog walking.

Find something that needs sorting through or something you have meant to do for ages but put off.  This requires motivation so may not be easy but the sense of achievement is a real boost if you can manage it.

Ring a friend.

Find somebody, anybody  :o, to talk to to take your mind off yourself for a bit.

Blue

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »

I bought a self hypnosis CD. Came with a book.

It was supposed to help boost confidence, but I was out like a light.

Meno moment, I can't remember the guys name, does 'I can think you thin', I can see his face ;D ;D ;D
Sorry HB

But listening to music or a feelgood chick flick always helps too.

Elena

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »

Paul McKenna  ;D

lily

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

During one of the most stressful times in my life, I used to watch Sex in the City on dvds - I felt I could lose myself in it and it was my me time.  I like to light a candle, surround myself with nice smells - especially lavender, play my ds lite or clean my way through it if I'm too wound up. 

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »

I love lavender....always have a bottle of the essential oils to sprinkle around.....it helps me sleep.

We all have different things that help. I love reading and am attached to my kindle as usually I can loose myself in a book.

I have decided to do the walking with music thing to try and break the stress cycle.

Thanks ladies

Honeyb
X

Evenstar

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »

I usually go for a long walk to tire myself out then curl up with a big bar of chocolate and a good book.