Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi all---On vagifem for 7 years  (Read 6969 times)

Susza

Hi all---On vagifem for 7 years
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »

I have been using this since i was 47 my menopause was at 49, it has been a great help for vaginal atrophy but after 7 years the effect is not so great. it has been suggested i take Femseven conti instead or increase the vagifem dose to beyond the standard dose, my only problem is that i have terrible migraines and do not want to increase these as they are fewer now.

Doe anyone who has had migraines before the menopause feel that they get worse with a HRT patch?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi all---On vagifem for 7 years
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »

If you do a 'search' for SuziQ's very good threads on Vaginal Atrophy .........

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »

Hi Susza - have just seen your Q and question on migraines.

They should be less on patch HRT than pill - which is what you have been offered. The effect of HRT varies depending on the individual. eg some women get migraines from the synthetic progestogens used in the HRT - in your case you have been offered a conti HRT as you are well post-meno so you wouldn;t know what you reacted to if you did get migraines.

Other women get migraines during the progesterone withdrawal phase of combined cyclical HRT - just like before a normal period.

Were your migraines linked to part of your cycle ie just before your period, or any time during the two weeks before your period? If pre-menstrual only then if you choose the right progesterone you may be lucky and avoid them, if youkeep this continuous.

Or you could either try a cycle again - and use Femseven sequi - to see if you are OK on the combi-patches and that progestogen - but you may get a migraine when you go back onto the oestrogen only patches (ie the prog withdrawal)

Or you could try a patch of oestrogen only and use bio-identcial progesterone - Utrogestan - and either start off with a cycle and see what happens or just use it continuously. Some women do find it makes them tired though.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing - sometimes I am a bit garbled I think!

Hurdity x

Susza

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, for all this information!

My migraines were often linked to my cycle, coming before or just after a period. Post-meno they would continue and also seemed to occur around the same time each month ---I kept a diary. Now aged 56 they are less severe, but they can be still frightening as I awake early and start vomiting and do not stop for 4-5 hrs---fortunately I take Ondansetron (sp?), which I buy privately in the USA, an oral melting tablet that stops you vomiting and triptans (sp?)available on the NHS ---these help but they put me out of action for 48 hrs. The migraine took a toll on my oesophagus before I got the right medication. They continued after my periods stopped ---and at that stage only my GP thought I might have a brain tremor, which I did not!!

So I have a lot of anxiety about even experimenting with HRT, I feel from reading this site there are many different responses to the various HRTs available. My new (young male) GP thought I should take a HRT with progesterone which he perceived as better than an HRT without it. The GP who though I might have a brain tumour thought one should never mess with hormones...

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »

Hi Susza

I am on Evorel Conti - patches with oestrogen & progesterone.
Migraines are a lot less with Evorel than they were prior to the patches.
They still happen, but not a total wipe out.
Half a day usually, one day max.
Even then I can function......... ish

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »

Hi Susza

If you have not had a hysterectomy then you have to take progesterone to keep the womb lining thin.

I can't comment on the migraines as I don't suffer from them.

You can also ask Dr Currie for her advice. The details are on the home page.
I hope you find something that suits. Sometimes it's just trial and error to find one that does what you want it to do, but I understand how difficult that would be given you suffer so badly from migraines.

Honeyb
X

Susza

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:41:12 PM »

thanks for this reply...

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »

Sorry you feel the need for more than Vagifem
But your situation is different to mine
I went Ovarian failure pre meno started at 37 last period 42 I tihnk
Then I went on Orthogynest cream 2 years later mini pill and Ovestin till 2010 it had been failing for just under 2 years
I developed severe atrophy Ive been on Vagifem from Feb 2010 but in December this year I did a 10 day reload
It started to not work and I was terrified as at nearly late 50s I cant take HRT and cant take it medicaly anyway
The thought of Atrophy oh paion and ache so have you done a reload if not then first things first try a 14 day reload
See how you feel if that works then yayyyyyyyy it seems that advice is being given to reload yearly now
Im on Vagifem 25 they still sell it here in Ozz but for how much longer????
Other than that Im sorry I dont know anything about HRT and Migraines crap MUM had them sound like yours xxxx