Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flucloxacillin 500mg - anyone else had side effects?  (Read 39394 times)

panda762

Flucloxacillin 500mg - anyone else had side effects?
« on: December 30, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »

Was given this yesterday after my testo implant became infected and had to be removed.

Have taken 3 Flucloxacillin 500mg capsules but I got terrible nausea, sweats and chronic runs :(
Meant to take 4 a day on an empty stomach but if I do that I shan't last the week!

Have now stopped taking them and am beginning to feel a little more human - although it's only been 8 hours. Can still taste the 'plastic' capsule when I burp (!)

Got to go for blood tests tomorrow so will ask for an alternative anti-biotic, but for now I'll just have to put up with the infection (rather than the Flucloxacillin).

Not sure if the sweating is the infection, a reaction or my hormones.

After an afternoon in an NHS walk-in centre, surrounded by dozens of coughing / sneezing / sick people, you can only imagine the horrors which have been going through my mind with all this illness....  :o

Pauline

Re: Flucloxacillin 500mg - anyone else had side effects?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:10:03 PM »

Sorry you are having such a rough time. All the penicillin/amoxycillin group give me dreadful diarrhoea. Can't take them. You will have to get further advice. Hope things can be resolved for you swiftly and effectively. Kindest wishes.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

I would urge you to continue the treatment Panda. This drug is not used lightly and diarrhoea is the most common side effect and is not a reason to discontinue treatment. I appreciate that it is not nice to feel ill while taking them but it may be for the best. There is not always an alternative antibiotic nowadays.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

Taz x

panda762

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one...!

I simply couldn't take any more of it. My stomach feels like it's been pulled inside out and I only took 3 of them (last one 24 hours ago).

Still feeling like hell on earth but have to pull myself together to go and get blood tests (they cancelled me 2 weeks ago and if I don't get them done now it'll be more waiting around before I can get any treatment).

Ugh  :'(

xx

panda762

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:31:29 AM »

Update: Just seen a GP who has put on my medical records I'm never to be given it again!

Now the infected implant is out my body is more-or-less healing itself, so no further anti-biotics (to avoid any more nasty reactions / side effects and allow my body to rest and repair).

I've had a ton of anti-biotics in my life, including high strength ones through a drip for an infected blood clot :o but I've never had such a bad reaction to them before.........

Pauline

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »

Good luck with the healing process. Hope you make an uneventful recovery.

panda762

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »

Thankyou Pauline :) x

panda762

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »

Also thankyou to Taz :) x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »

Hope you are feeling better xx

panda762

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:25:48 AM »

Actually felt a little better in the evening but was nauseas early morning and now feeling like I want to vomit  :'(

Not sure if I actually will.......... but also feeling hot and tearful.

Not what I was hoping for (obviously) xx

Limpy

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

Is it definitely a reaction to the antibiotics, could you have a bug, there's a lot of it around at the moment?

Whatever it is, hope you feel better soon

panda762

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »

Thanks Limpy,

I suspect it's a combination of the anti-biotics and something I picked up during my 3+ hours waiting at the NHS walk-in centre on Saturday.

Hopefully I've now turned a corner. Managed to eat 2 pieces of plain quorn fillets and a few plain cheese crackers without running to the loo :)

xx

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

Good to hear   :)

katy603

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »

Good to hear   :)
This has also affected me in the same way and  my gut feels awful, I stopped taking it two weeks ago and am still suffering, apparently flucloxaciliin kills the good bacteria as well as the bad and I will never take it again.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 04:56:06 AM »

I think this is the antibiotic I had to take for Cellulitus. I had no choice and was warned that it was vicious on the digestive system. I have IBS anyway. It was vicious. Take some good quality probiotics, which will be pricey, but worth it. I saw a nutritionist, who helped me with diet and supplements, but I already had digestive problems. Worth a try if things don't settle.
Pages: [1] 2