Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Certain foods do not taste right  (Read 4895 times)

Scarlett

Certain foods do not taste right
« on: October 03, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »

I have been going through peri meno for about 5 years now and have not had this particular symptom before.  I was wondering if any of you ladies have come across this symptom or similar while on your peri journey.

Certain foods, particularly those that are salty to start with, seem to taste even more salty.  I cannot stand any type of crisps, they just seem to taste far too salty and the other day I just fancied a snack so got the Tuc biscuits out  -  the biscuit tasted awful, just far too salty.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Certain foods do not taste right
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »

I never liked Tuc biscuits anyway, they feel soft to the mouth when I expect a firmer biscuit  ::) . ......... I think taste alteration is one of the meno symptoms we have talked about ........... some ladies complain of 'zinc' taste which can also be linked to medication or a lack of minerals ..........  my mouth today has tasted foul  >:( so need to get the small brushes out for a good clean round a job I hate

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »

I hate some things for that very reason Scarlett!  As for crisps, what about salt & shake where you control the amount that you add.

I do feel that sometimes these foods are over salted and other times not.  When I've found them too salty so has my hubby, so know it's not just me.

I use the small brushes most days CLKD and still end up with a foul taste from time to time.  Think it depends more on what we've eaten and how our gut has digested it (TMI sorry).

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »

When my stomach is not great I always have a rotten taste in my mouth. It can last for quite a few days even after my tum feels better.

Honeyb
x

Scarlett

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

My tongue feels strange  -  so perhaps there is no wonder that certain foods do not taste right.

When I was reading about the 34 symptoms of peri menopause, one of the symptoms was called 'burning tongue syndrome'.

When you are going through peri and happen to be one of the unlucky ones who has to have lots of symptoms, well the hormones just seem to want to ruin everything.  I wouldn't mind if it was only for 2 weeks like when you get the flu, but we are talking about years and years of having your life ruined before you can say that you have missed 12 periods and have emerged at the other side.

rosie c

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »

Burning Tongue is vey painful ... you certainly know you have it. Food just doesnt taste the same. And it not just the tongue , from my experience it was my whole mouth especially the roof. And yes you are right Scarlett, there's a whole load of rubbish to go through..... if you are unlucky. Im just hoping I get all my rubbish out of the way in peri, and come out the other side a whole lot better. fingers crossed. x

Ziggy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

I've suffered most of this year from a horrible taste in my mouth which changed in the way it tasted and was sometimes intensely salty. Eventually I was seen by a hospital doctor in the oral health dept. She could find nothing wrong and blood tests revealed nothing but she did notice I had quite a furry tongue so she recommended that I scrape or brush my tongue when I brush my teeth and I have to say that this has made a huge difference. It might be worth you trying this as it's such a simple thing to do and it might help.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

I HATE scraping my tongue  :sick02:   :P   :-X  but do notice if I have plaque forming that taste sometimes alters.

Thanks for the burning tongue mention ....... for 2-3 years I've had that sensation after eating jam, chocolate, cheese - not every day and with no obvious reason but couldn't have a proper breakfast this morning 'cos my whole tongue and lower gums were burning  :o

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »

Everything tastes of fish today   :sick02:  ...... my morning toast, an egg custard, Hula Hoops for lunch  :-\