Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 252986 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #885 on: September 23, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »

Reminds me of school dinners  :-\  :-X …… but with modern cleaning products that 'eat' smells it shouldn't be difficult!  We used 'odour eliminator' when the Tom-cat weed in the back of the car, we could smell the product 'working' and after 3-4 weeks, the smell had gone  :o.  If anyone had told me that the smell of Tom-cat would disappear I would never have believed them!

There are other products that 'eat' odours, I think they are biological …….

CLKD

« Reply #886 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »

Nor would they want to? 

CLKD

« Reply #887 on: September 24, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »

So do I Pennyfarthing …….. hopefully your brothers won't put your Mum off her little holiday!

Maybe check the areas you haven't had time to do so that any other monies can be put somewhere safe!?!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #888 on: September 25, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »

So do I Pennyfarthing …….. hopefully your brothers won't put your Mum off her little holiday!

Maybe check the areas you haven't had time to do so that any other monies can be put somewhere safe!?!

No doubt they'll try but it's all booked now.  She realises she needs a good rest too because we've had a summer of non stop appointments and days when she's felt very low.  By the time she's dressed in the mornings, had breakfast and a sit down, she is ready for a sleep again!  I have explained this to the care home and they said they'll help her with all that and conserve her energy.

CLKD

« Reply #889 on: September 25, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »

Hope that she enjoys the change!  If she is cared for, it's more likely that you will relax.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #890 on: September 25, 2016, 07:59:21 PM »

I told her tonight I have sorted out two nice little suitcases for her and she said "I may not want to come home again". I think she knows she will be completely safe and looked after and it's quite a relief to her.  She has admitted to me once or twice (but I don't think to anybody else) that she gets worried about stumbling or falling especially at night.   She has never minded being in hospital either because  she knows she's in good care.

She also told me yesterday that some nights she doesn't sleep well and thinks she hears noises in the garden so she calls out of the window "who's there?"  I told her not to do that because no family would call during the night and what would she do if somebody answered her anyway.  Worry, worry, worry.

CLKD

« Reply #891 on: September 25, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »

So being one step ahead: is this a place that you would like to see her cared for and is there an option for her moving there?

When do you go away? 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #892 on: September 26, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »

So being one step ahead: is this a place that you would like to see her cared for and is there an option for her moving there?

When do you go away?

I drop Mum off there on Sat afternoon and we go on holiday the next morning.  :)

She tells me she told the brothers and one said "I wouldn't call that a holiday with a load of old women coughing and spluttering." And the other said "how come she's not taking you away on holiday like you always do?"   As supportive as I imagined they would be.  >:(.  Please note neither suggested taking her away for a few days instead!!   Main thing is Mum is really looking forward to it and recognises that me and hubby need some time to ourselves and also I need to be resting my bad knee.   X-ray tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #893 on: September 27, 2016, 06:56:44 AM »

I am sure that she will enjoy the break!  She didn't tell you her responses to your brothers?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #894 on: September 30, 2016, 07:25:06 PM »

Just spoke to mum to arrange time to collect her tomorrow. She says one brother told her if she doesn't like it there she only has to ring him and he'll take her home!   Talk about negative. She told him she had spoken to three men yesterday who have all stayed there and they really like it.

I quite envy my friend and her husband. They are both only children and both have an elderly parent each.  They just make the decisions and get it done with no interference.

CLKD

« Reply #895 on: October 01, 2016, 03:39:22 PM »

So don't accept any interference Pennyfarthing, your brothers mutter but are as my late Dad would say, "All P and wind" ;-).  It's not likely that they will step in to alter much is it?  Enjoy your break!

Mine is out and about with friends apparently today and it will be Church for her in the morning, no doubt I will hear about it on Monday.

walking the dog

« Reply #896 on: October 01, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »

Enjoy you holiday Pfarthing you deserve the break and try not to worry about your mum it sounds a,nice place you have found her xx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #897 on: October 02, 2016, 07:04:04 PM »

We had an early flight and were in Majorca by 8.30am.   We left in torrential rain, darkness and cold and it was 30c here in Alcudia this afternoon.  Too much on first day but we sat in the shade and watched the world go by and it's bliss.  Very nice hotel, no kids and all inclusive. 

Rang the care home tonight and Mum has settled in well apparently and told staff she is enjoying her "break".  She was happy enough when I dropped her off yesterday and had a very nice light, airy room.

Walked down to the harbour and knee not too bad but it's tempting to walk further and than regret it, so I didn't.  :)

Currently sitting on our balcony enjoying our free wifi and having coffee and listening to Spanish voices, a church bell and it's still really balmy out here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:07:56 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

« Reply #898 on: October 02, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »

Crikey, what technology  ;D - you can update us  ::).  Enjoy your break.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #899 on: October 02, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »

Crikey, what technology  ;D - you can update us  ::).  Enjoy your break.

Ha ha ...  ;DWhat I meant was its nice to have wifi ALL OVER  the hotel. Some places we've stayed in you only get it in reception area, some it's very poor in rooms and others you have to pay to use it. 
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 74