Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 252979 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #735 on: August 15, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »

Old people have always had a fear that should they go into Hospital they won't come out!

Mine is out and about again this week  ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #736 on: August 15, 2016, 03:23:10 PM »

I am really glad this thread is here, I do have one friend in the same situation as I but more of you here.  Mum not doing so good this week, I am going in daily with meals now so they are eating - nurse due this week before she goes on leave, so I can be sure she gets the heart nurse to visit each week (or more) while she is away.

Took Dad for his blue badge assessment last week, only 4 - 5 weeks before he gets a reply fgs ::) he should get it as he is getting more frail and having more falls.

I hate this, I feel so sad sometimes watching their decline :'(

babyjane

« Reply #737 on: August 15, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »

It always annoyed me that 'old age' does not class as a reason for a blue badge to be awarded.  I could not get one for mum until she was diagnosed with a terminal cancer, then one was rushed through.  :(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #738 on: August 15, 2016, 06:34:19 PM »

I am really glad this thread is here, I do have one friend in the same situation as I but more of you here.  Mum not doing so good this week, I am going in daily with meals now so they are eating - nurse due this week before she goes on leave, so I can be sure she gets the heart nurse to visit each week (or more) while she is away.

Took Dad for his blue badge assessment last week, only 4 - 5 weeks before he gets a reply fgs ::) he should get it as he is getting more frail and having more falls.

I hate this, I feel so sad sometimes watching their decline :'(

I feel for you Lynda. We wouldn't manage without Mums blue badge now. She is so slow and full of aches and pains that we have to use a wheelchair to go shopping. Fingers crossed your Dad will get it sooner than you think! 

CLKD

« Reply #739 on: August 15, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »

They are living with it though, so try not to feel sad. 

Scampi

« Reply #740 on: August 16, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »

It's very hard not to feel sad watching parents decline in health and vitality. 

My mum is in a care-home - she is virtually immobile due to Parkinson's.  That's difficult enough, given that she was always on the go ... but she's now getting increasingly confused.  Mum was a very capable woman - she was a sheltered housing warden for over 25 years and knew everything about every one of her 30-odd residents.  She knew their personal and family details, medical histories, pension days, shopping preferences (she often collected pensions and shopping when the weather was less than perfect), everything!  She ran her own household and all 26 bungalows without ever missing a beat ... now, only 10 years after retiring, she can't manage to organise her own day  :'(  It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and she forgot - I won't hurt her feelings by reminding her, but it is so sad to see this woman who was once more capable than I could ever hope to be so let down by her own body and mind. 

CLKD

« Reply #741 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »

It is sad Scampi ……… confusion can be caused by dehydrated and/or a urine infection, have the Staff checked your Mum?   :bighug:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #742 on: August 16, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »

It's very hard not to feel sad watching parents decline in health and vitality. 

My mum is in a care-home - she is virtually immobile due to Parkinson's.  That's difficult enough, given that she was always on the go ... but she's now getting increasingly confused.  Mum was a very capable woman - she was a sheltered housing warden for over 25 years and knew everything about every one of her 30-odd residents.  She knew their personal and family details, medical histories, pension days, shopping preferences (she often collected pensions and shopping when the weather was less than perfect), everything!  She ran her own household and all 26 bungalows without ever missing a beat ... now, only 10 years after retiring, she can't manage to organise her own day  :'(  It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and she forgot - I won't hurt her feelings by reminding her, but it is so sad to see this woman who was once more capable than I could ever hope to be so let down by her own body and mind.

My auntie did the very same job Scampi and had a wardens house and went above and beyond the call of duty. That complex was run like clockwork by her and she was there 24/7 for the old people.

She is now riddled with arthritis and her fingers are all twisted. She has also got heart problems and bowel problems. Her husband is now in a care home as he has dementia but is physically healthy. IT is terribly sad.

babyjane

« Reply #743 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »

Mum's cancer was brutal but it was mercifully quick (for a cancer).  She was mentally sharp as a tack until the day before she died.  Seeing her is such physical discomfort was gruelling but the hospice was brilliant, better than the hospital.  I am fortunate that I did not lose her mentally before she died. 

CLKD

« Reply #744 on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:23 PM »

Mine's off on a Coach Trip tomorrow  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #745 on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »

Mine's off on a Coach Trip tomorrow  ::)

MIne is wearing her hearing aids for second day in a row and says she never realised until today that her stairlift made a whirring noise.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #746 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »

Success ?  or 'don't hold your breath'  ;D ……… mine uses the stair-lift to take things up to the landing or bring stuff down  ::)

Scampi

« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2016, 06:59:45 AM »

It is sad Scampi ……… confusion can be caused by dehydrated and/or a urine infection, have the Staff checked your Mum?   :bighug:

Mum is encouraged to drink plenty and the staff at the home regularly check her urine for signs of infection - they seem to monitoring her levels of alertness quite closely.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »

I'm always on at my mum to drink plenty and the nurse and GP told her the same. I remind her mid morning and she says "I had a BIG cup of Tea when I got up."  In case you're imagining a bucket size cup it's a small cup and saucer!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #749 on: August 17, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »

Also, what time does she 'get up'?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74