Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Total exhaustion - is this normal?  (Read 19477 times)

Lucky Stone

Total exhaustion - is this normal?
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »

My GP has said in the past that tiredness is a meno symptom but honestly .... yesterday afternoon I went out to help OH in the garden as we were burning the top dressing off a tree. It took about 5 hours of trudging up and down the garden with heavy bits of branch, dodging the bonfire flames to get them on and then the clearing up. After about 2 hours I was tired but it had to be finished and I didn't want to desert him so I plodded on, literally at the end. I felt exhausted. Bed at 10 and slept through but today I've felt awful, just completely washed out, bit like when I have a migraine. I know I overdid it but it worries me that I can be SO tired after what was really an afternoon in the garden. Does anyone else get this tired? :-X I'm only 50 and feel I should be able to physically cope better than this.  >:(

Bette

Re: Total exhaustion - is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »

Well, I wouldn't call 5 hours of trudging up and down the garden with heavy bits of branch, dodging the bonfire flames to get them on and then the clearing up just an afternoon in the garden!!  :o
Unless you're used to regular physical exercise, I'd say that it's natural that you'd be tired after that; I know that I would be!
Bette x

cutey1

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »

Hi Lucky Stone,

meno exhaustion can be excrutiating but I have to agree with Bette here - 5 hrs for anyone doing heavy work in the garden is some serious (and tiring) exercise!

Have an early night tonight and hopefully you will feel much better over the weekend  :)

xx

JJ

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »

Tiredness is very normal in meno. All your work in garden sounds pretty strenuous to me . I seem to tire more easily now so it must be a meno symptom.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »

5 hours of gardening!  Well done you I say! I used to be knackered after 1 hour! Meno tiredness is not uncommon though.  It can wipe you out.  You've probably done too much and may take a couple of days to recuperate. Chill over the weekend and I'm sure you'll feel much better.  :)

jgr

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »

hi Luckystone, i use to get very tired and feel unwell with it, however since going onto HRT i feel i have got my energy back again tenfold.
I would strongly agree with the other ladies that was heavy gardening i am not surprised you were exhausted.

pixie

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »

Crumbs, it sounds like you've had a really busy day in the garden. Sometimes I feel exhausted getting out of bed in the morning!  I know what you mean though. I went for a 3 mile walk with a friend yesterday and my back suddenly started to hurt badly when I was walking uphill.  I had to sit down and recover for a while.  I am finding I have to pace myself more, when I never even thought about it 2 years ago.  I am 50 years like you and was quite fit! :)  I find if I have had a particularly active day, I can feel wiped out the following day, especially at work, as I have an active job. Its really annoying!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:11:55 PM by pixie »

Meg

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:43 PM »

Dear Lucky Stone

I know just how you feel.  I am fifty-seven.  I never thought that after fifty when I really felt menopause hit me really hard that my physical strength would diminish.  The thing is I now feel that I have to work harder than ever.  I am working in a physically demanding part-time job and I am worried that I no longer have the stamina.  My sleep is terrible.  I could once drop off at a reasonable time but now it is the early hours and I can wake in the night abruptly with sweating.  Sometimes I feel overwhelmed as if I cant cope.  I am also a wife and mother and cant say that I have had the support that I would really like through all of this.  I am sure there are thousands of other women 'in the same boat' silently struggling on.  Five hours work in the garden is gruelling but you were trying to help your OH which was highly commendable.  Yes we feel wiped out more easily and yes it must be down to the hormones.  Loads of women over fifty are struggling with their sleep, sweating, the emotional rollercoaster ride, panic etc.  We are expected to be carers to grandchildren, the elderly, our families, no wonder we are under strain and many worried about their finances too.  Sorry to ramble on but sending empathy.

Meg 

pixie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »

I suppose it is a combination of lowering hormones and getting older.  Sleep problems don't help. I always wake up about 3 times a night now, hot, but try not to worry about it and go back to sleep.  Some mornings I feel as if i have been to an all night party but without any of the fun!!! :D Hormones are on a roller coster.  Just hoping that it all settles down, once the periods stop and the hormones settled down to a lower level.  My sister who is 57  felt bad for a while, but now she has been through it, she feels well, apart from the fact she had to have a hysterectomy last month due to fibroids!  She's kept her ovaries and managing well without any meds!  She stopped her periods at 54. She walks to work every day, which must be at least 1 mile!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:24:55 AM by pixie »

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »

We are getting older so physical strength will diminish both for men and women. 57 is not young. We may feel young but we aren't. Unless we work hard on keeping our muscles strong they will naturally waste. Things such as pilates and yoga and, the recommendation of my fibromyalgia consultant, tai chi, all help to keep our strength and our suppleness.

Lucky Stone - five hours of this type of work is an amazing achievement.  One word of caution though - I have learnt to my cost that after a certain age you must be careful with lifting heavy things. I always protected my back but forgot about the prolapse risk. We think of our men and the possibility of getting hernias but forget about the way our own bodies are made up. Before you lift pull up your pelvic floor as much as possible. Sorry - a bit off topic there but I am trying to spread the word!  :D

Taz x

pixie

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »

I agree with you Taz, suddenly aches and pains  start and its important to keep ourselves fit with exercise and diet.  We do have to pay more attention to our bodies, telling us when it is enough!  I was recently diagnosed with mild arthritis in my right shoulder and bursitis, so have started using my left arm more to open car doors etc! :( X

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:40 AM »

Isn't it funny how we see everyone else getting older but it's never going to happen to us?  :)  Sorry about your shoulder Pixie - hope that it isn't too painful.

taz x

pixie

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »

Hi Taz,  Thanks it seems to be getting better slowly, but doesn't help as always very active!  Some of my friends are going walking up Snowdonia over 24 hours and they are all 'getting on a bit'.  I imagine there will be a few casualties, can't think of anything  more exhausting.  When we all get through this, we should treat ourselves to some pottering about in India, like 'The Exotic Marigold Hotel'.  Its a feel good film about older folk being adventurous and brave :)

jax

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »

Meno tiredness,oh yes...know that one.
I now have to plan that the day after a gig i will be a knackered zombie, aching all over like i just did the gym...even if i get a lie in to catch up on sleep I am still worn out next day  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »

How on earth to the ageing rockers do it?

Taz x  :crutch:
Pages: [1] 2 3