Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Charity Projects  (Read 22223 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Charity Projects
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

I think that this type of project is fine.  The only way to find out is to go and if you can help your relative then they will get an insight into what is/not required in future and whether this is to be their Life's work  ;)  ....... I'm not brave enough  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »

As an aside - today I received a begging envelope from the Blue Cross or PDSA can't remember which : inside it states that someone heard a kitten and found one in a drain, the message being that this kitten was flushed down a toilet and ended up in said drain  :o which will pull at the heart strings: not.

For a start it is unlikely that anywhere in the UK would anything flushed down a modern loo get into an outside drain.  Also, having tried to flush our kittens down the loo, they wouldn't fit  ;) ........ a small kitten would get to the U-bend and bounce back up?  Having tried to flush other items down the loo, it is very difficult to get 'stuff' down.  So I wonder where in the World was this supposedly to have happened  :-\ ....... the kitten on the packet of course was named 'flush' .........

I am fed up with receiving packets of begging information through the mail.  '  only £3 ' will help rescue another cat.  Well, it might fund the next tank of diesal for the Managing Director but ......... <sigh>

Off to write to the MD as well as sending the whole package to Anglia Water ......... <goes away humphing>

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »

A young girl I know went to Nepal for 3 months.  It was supposed to be helping underpriveleged and disabled children - she stayed for the duration but had to ask to be moved twice because it wasn't what they were told it would be. 

Taz2

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 08:33:39 PM »

I won't support the RSPCA anymore.  They are one of the wealthiest charities in the country (check out the Charity Commission site) yet their local branches have to fundraise themselves because they are so hard up.  My S-L knits for her local branch where my niece used to help.  The RSPCA HQ gets all the millions which are donated and bequeathed and it goes on staffing, uniforms, vehicles, admin and thousands and thousands on taking people to court.

A woman I used to know was taken to court by RSPCA and it cost them £24,000 and she was cleared.  She had 3 horses and they said she was neglecting one of them.  Now why would anybody neglect just one in a field?  ::)She explained over & over that the horse was very elderly and couldn't keep weight on despite being well fed.  A very cocky RSPCA female inspector took an instant dislike to her and she ended up in court.  The owner was able to provide feed bills, farriers bills, hay bills etc along with a wonderful report from an independent vet and she was cleared.  That was a total waste of £24,000.  I've never supported them since then.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »

I haven't supported the RSPCA much in recent years.

Taz - that story doesn't become true simply because it's written.  Where in the UK would anything be flushed down a toilet and end up in an open drain?  To think so is an insult to our Water Companies .......

I have begun my letter of enquiry as a draft - need to wait until the anger recedes.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »

It's a basement drain and, to be fair, the advertising does seem to say that it MAY have been flushed down the loo

"Charlotte Hamilton, the vet who looked after Flush, says: “It's horrendous to think someone may have flushed her down the loo and incredible that she managed to survive.

“She was freezing cold, soaking wet and terrified when she arrived, but amazingly, once we'd warmed and cleaned her up, Flush was absolutely fine.  She's a really lucky little kitten"

I'm not sure what you are angry about!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »

Because the blurb is trying to make out that this kitten was flushed down a toilet ...... "might have been" isn't good enough when in the UK our drainage is usually sealed.  Found in a basement is totally different to being flushed anywhere  ::)

The Vet. doesn't do herself any favours by even suggesting it 'may' have been flushed .......... it's hype  >:( in order for busy people to think 'oh poor kitten must send some money' without even knowing how that money will be spent ........ I wonder how much their Company is worth these days  ???

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 08:30:30 PM »

Dogs for the Diasabled has been rebranded ……… dogs for good - wonder what that cost?

I can see the reasons because the Charity now spreads across many conditions.  But a new name  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »

I took stuff to the local drop in centre this morning ……. that's 2 boxes off the floor and out of the house  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:27 PM »

Where are These charities getting a figure of "just £3" from?   Every morning on breakfast TV there's one charity or another asking for £3 to provide water, save a child, feed a donkey. ;D

Another advert I wonder about is the Shelter one.  Can it really be true that 100,000 children in the UK will be homeless over Xmas?

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

……. that crossed my mind: as opposed to how many during the rest of the year  :-\

Anyone can ask for the Company Accounts of any Charity which may well surprise people as to how much is in Stocks and Shares etc..  It is almost impossible to spend all that is given …….. because of building constraints in the UK where T&C Planning are strict about what can/not be built.  Plus not many people want childrens' homes, cat/dog kennels close by  ::) etc..  NotInMyBackYard syndrome …….

I think that in many cases volunteering is a good way to 'give' without adding to the coffers  ;)

Monies do go further abroad though ……… but as DH keeps muttering: another Company Car there then :  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »

……. that crossed my mind: as opposed to how many during the rest of the year  :-\

Anyone can ask for the Company Accounts of any Charity which may well surprise people as to how much is in Stocks and Shares etc..  It is almost impossible to spend all that is given …….. because of building constraints in the UK where T&C Planning are strict about what can/not be built.  Plus not many people want childrens' homes, cat/dog kennels close by  ::) etc..  NotInMyBackYard syndrome …….

I think that in many cases volunteering is a good way to 'give' without adding to the coffers  ;)

Monies do go further abroad though ……… but as DH keeps muttering: another Company Car there then :  ::)

I agree with the giving time comment.  I did nearly 15 years, one morning a week with a charity for kids with special needs, alongside that I did 3 years with a charity for older socially isolated people.  I reckon that's me done!  If you added up all those hours even at minimum wage I have given thousands to charity.

For years I stopped sending Xmas cards and with the money I would have spent on cards and postage, I bought a couple of sacks of horse feed and dropped them off at a local  sanctuary. 

I don't give to any charities now and never to any tin rattlers in the street or supermarket.

The Kids Company rip off has finally put me off giving to any more. that was obscene the amount of money they "lost" which the Govt and benefactors gave them. 

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »

How come the Government supports some Charity organisations but the RNLI doesn't get a penny ? but are rescuing lives at C  :-\ ….. as well as the various helicopter emergency teams are public funded ……...

Ju Ju

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 06:59:58 PM »

I volunteer with a charity that relies on donations. GPs regularly refer clients. No money forthcoming from the NHS of course. Many clients have no idea that we are volunteers, most not even claiming for expenses. But many clients are very grateful. We had a 'training' session recently on how to ask for donations sensitively and realistically by a more financially stable branch. We are rock bottom financially and soon will not be able to operate if something is not done. Probably most of us are our own worst enemies. More interested in doing the work and embarrassed about asking for money. But if you don't ask.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6