Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feeling cold  (Read 23082 times)

Scarlett

Feeling cold
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »

I know that it is Winter and, just recently, we have had a cold spell, but I am sure I feel the cold more than what I did before entering peri-meno.

On a trip to the supermarket in the car one day, I almost felt in pain and that I couldn't stand the cold just from getting out of the car in the car park and walking the short distance to inside the supermarket.

In the house, even with the heating on, I am wearing 2 cardigans and a scarf.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Smokey

Re: Feeling cold
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »

Hi Scarlett,

I seem to also feel the cold, especially my hands and feet they are like ice most of the time! I have always been a chilly mortal, but meno seems to make it worse.  When Im really cold I can't Function and it makes me feel quite ill. I have invested in an electric heated fleece to wrap up in to watch tv in the evening, as sometimes my oh is quite warm and sat in a t shirt whilst I'm nearly shivering.

alexia

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »

Hi, yes I can suddenly go freezing cold even if others are boiling. You carnt win, hot cold , hot cold, and when you are cold, its as if you are chilled to the bone.  8)

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »

I am always cold, when everybody else is hot. Family gatherings are a nightmare as I want the heating on they all want the windows open. All my clothes have to be chosen with heat in mind. Mind you I take warfarin and that thins the blood so makes you cold. Dare I say I am looking forward just a little to flushes as it may be the first time in years that I am warm.

Scarlett

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

Hi Scarlett,

I seem to also feel the cold, especially my hands and feet they are like ice most of the time! I have always been a chilly mortal, but meno seems to make it worse.  When Im really cold I can't Function and it makes me feel quite ill. I have invested in an electric heated fleece to wrap up in to watch tv in the evening, as sometimes my oh is quite warm and sat in a t shirt whilst I'm nearly shivering.

Smokey   -   When you use the words 'can't function'   -   well that is just how I would describe it.  You just don't feel right and you can't concentrate on things.

susie56

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »

Have you had your thyroid checked this is a classic symptom of underactive thyroid.

Scarlett

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »

Have you had your thyroid checked this is a classic symptom of underactive thyroid.

No I haven't had it checked.   Just thought it was a combination of the cold weather and one of the numerous meno symptoms.

Would someone with an underactive thyroid feel cold even when the weather is quite warm?

Scarlett

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

Definitely, I can vouch for that as I have hypothyroidism although it is well treated now.

I don't ever feel cold when the weather is quite warm  -  in fact, the opposite  -  I feel too warm.

So if you were not been treated and it was say a warm day in the Summer, would you actually feel cold?   

What other symptoms do you have?

Scarlett

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »

Am not sure what u mean by this: -

"It sounds more as though you are over reacting to outside temperatures though.  The body's temperature is controlled by the hypothalamus and that is affected by hormonal swings and surges"

susie56

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:23:11 AM »

It's worth having it checked.  It's a simple blood test.  I felt cold but not that cold in the summer.  I had memory problems and was often very tired - in bed by 9pm.  Mine was picked up by a routine blood test.  I had probably had it for years.  Many women have this condition without really knowing it  Ask the GP to check it. :)

Smokey

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »

Hi ladies,

Scarlett I have had my thyroid checked a few months ago as I have had high calcium in the past and had to have part of my parathyroid removed, this is slightly different to the thyroid which is In The middle of your throat, but you can still get same symptoms,and being cold and very tired is two of them an concentration problems.  Mine was discovered by chance by the hospital when I had unco-ordinated right arm and leg last year( it was MS but thankfully they are back to normal at the moment).

But I still get cold and concentration problems which are both also meno problems, I keep insisting on regular blood test every 3 months or so as I'm worried I might get problems again in the future relating to thyroid or parathyroid and I don't want to get it missed if it happens, usually surgery is required, but sometimes it can bee controlled by throxin(not sure if that's spelt right). You usually get hair loss too I think. But it's worth you getting it checked.

Smokey

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »

Hi ladies,

Forgot to say,

Also you can loose loads of weight can't remember if that's over or under active thyroid but my Brother-in-law had this as a major symptom and had to have his thyroid removed.

again in the future relating to thyroid or parathyroid and I don't want to get it missed if it happens, usually surgery is required, but sometimes it can bee controlled by throxin(not sure if that's spelt right). You usually get hair loss too I think. But it's worth you getting it checked.

Busylizzie

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »

Hi Scarlett,
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 7 years ago, at first my GP put all my symptoms of feeling cold and crashing fatigue down to the perimenopause and so it took a while before my thyroid was tested.  I gained a lot of weight and just could not keep awake by the afternoon and was always freezing cold.  I now take thyroxine but still live in layers of woolly pullies in the winter. I freeze all day and if I feel really chilled to the bone, then I go and defrost in a warm bath.  However during the night the hot flushes take over and I boil, it's as if my body thermostat is stuck and cannot respond when required, so there is no happy medium anymore! It may be worth asking your GP for a Thyroid Function Test just to check.  Hope this helps.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »

We've been for  a walk this morning to deliver the final cards, great in the clear air but I'm really really cold now so put the boiler on - however, the thermostat has been swtiched down so the house isn't warming up  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »

Turn the thermostat up CKLD! Lol
Pages: [1] 2 3