Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: The MM Recipe Exchange  (Read 245917 times)

Greyhoundgal

Re: The MM Recipe Exchange
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »

Bought a pressure cooker last weekend so tonight I'm going to cook a piece of brisket in it - does anyone else have a PC and if so, any tips for me?

Ghiro

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

My pressure cooker is an old hi-dome aluminium one with the weights on top.

Used to use it a lot for family meals like stew, mince dishes and boiling (gammon) joints.

Only tips i can think of -

i always put it at the back of the hob to avoid it being knocked off onto the floor and exploding.

One thing i had to use when we moved here was bottled water for stews etc because the PC being aluminum went blackish inside and the food tasted bad - this is due to our tap water here though which is ok in the non stick saucepans.

Brisket is really tasty.

Ghiro x

just remembered as well that i used non-stratch pads to clean it - not ordinary scouring pads which are too harsh.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:12:36 PM by Ghiro »

san

« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:27 PM »

I cook mince, stewing steak, gammon and stewing lamb in mine. I also use it when we have a meat pudding. Without it we wouldn't eat the above. My nan bought us our first one as a wedding present. My mum always used one too. My aunt used hers to cook the christmas pudding in when she made it. Also good for making chicken soup.

It's worth checking the wear of the lid seal if you use it a lot. the hardware store R....t D..s sells these when they need replaced.
I love mine ... and OH loves what comes out of it  ;D

ariadne

« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »

My pressure cooker is an old hi-dome aluminium one with the weights on top.

That has revived memories of my Mum's pressure cooker. We kids were petrified of it and I remember when the weight used to get dislodged by the pressure and steam would hiss out like some fire breathing dragon and my Mum would stand about 3 feet away and bash it back on with a wooden spoon, adding to its fearsome..ness for us kids.

ariadne xx

silverlady

« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »

Love mine too, and my large stir fry pan which has a glass lid with a steam hole.

I also have memories of my mum's pressure cooker and keeping out of the kitchen when it was steamimg  with the pressure weight rattling away.

silverlady x

Bette

« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

I used to have one and used it a lot when I was a student. Used to love producing a whole meal quickly from one saucepan - meat in the bottom, veggies in the basket on top. My friend uses hers to make soups and jams/chutneys.
Bette x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »

LOL, glad it stirred up some memories :)  The brisket was a great success - really tasty and of course cooked in a fraction of the time.  I don't suppose we'll use it an awful lot but might cook some gammon in it next weekend.

silverlady

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

I did this in my wok and added balsamic vinegar, it was delicious and very nutritious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSLwNdPdZts

silverlady x

san

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2012, 06:48:45 PM »

Why is Toad in the Hole called that  ???

Off to make a meat pudding for tomorrows dinner. Pop it in the pressure cooker tomorrow and 2hrs later Ta Da  ;D
my nan use to boil hers for hours in a black caldron pot  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »

For those at a loss as to yummy ideas  ;)

one year in

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »

I made a carrot cake on Sunday.  It was a Delia recipe and made with sunflower oil (trying to lower my cholesterol).

The recipe called for 200g flour and 50g desicated coconut but I don't like coconut so I replaced it with an extra 50g of flour.  However the cake mix was very stiff (I added a couple of tablespoons of milk to get it to a stiff dropping consistency) and the resulting cake was a bit dry (it also called for a syrup glaze which would have made it a bit more moist, but I opted out of that).

Any ideas what I should have used to replace the coconut?  Obviously the extra 50g flour was too much.

one year in

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »

This is almost exactly the same as the one I made LD but I did mine in a loaf tin!  Yours sounds yummy but I'd like to avoid the cream cheese  :'(

I'd still be interested to know what I could have used to replace the desicated coconut if anyone knows.

one year in

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2012, 03:30:58 PM »

Oh yes!  That would have been good.

I couldn't think of anything else other than flour or oats!!  ::)

Thank you!

viv

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »

BBQ Ribs ( done in the oven)

These are finger licking good.

2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs tomato ketchup
2 tbs runny honey
1 tsp paprika
rind of one lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
flakes of chilli for a bit of a zing

Heat it all up in a small pan.

Paint on pork ribs and cook slowly at 140 degrees for 1 1/4 hours depending on how many ribs you have.

Serve with a baked potato and salad

Yummy

Honeyb
x

Put a splash of boiling water in the baking tray and keep topping that up. It saves it burning.

san

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »

That sounds mouth watering ... How many ribs for a serving (only ever had them as take-a-way)

Need to convert the 140c as I'm gas  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21