Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!  (Read 103661 times)

Bette

Re: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »

That is interesting, Taz. I've suffered from sensitive teeth for years but noticed my gums were shrinking and the sensitivity was getting worse a few years ago. The last year, the shrinkage seems to have stopped. Think I started peri 3 or 4 years sgo, started HRT last year. Coincidences?!
Bixby x

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »

My dentist was quite adamant that this was the reason my gums had deteriorated over the past few months. I have found this - although it is from 199 - which mentions oral health towards the end of the article http://cdnedge.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/431842.stm

Taz x

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »

Although this thread is about dental health, the article linked to above is out of date (1999) with its heart disease info.
From a more recent article (2007): U-turn on the risks of HRT as experts say it CAN cut heart disease
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-447476/U-turn-risks-HRT-experts-say-CAN-cut-heart-disease.html

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »

Thanks Emma  ;D

Taz

karenw

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »

You're brave - I wouldn't touch Flagyl due to the side-effects.

Could you ask for a cephalosporin such as cephalexin instead?  It may give you a mild dose of the runs and make you feel sleepy but is very unlikely to make you sick.

I hope it clears up quickly....

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »

Thanks Karen - I can take Cephalexin with no problems at all - in fact I was on a low dose for a year due to recurrent cystitis before I discovered I had vaginal atrophy.

The dentist said that I couldn't have that one as I needed one with an anaerobic component - something to do with starving the infection of oxygen - I didn't listen properly.

So far I haven't had any side effects, touch wood, apart from a slightly dizzy feeling, headache and, this afternoon, the feeling of beginning cystitis which I believe is a side effect in some people. I can cope with these as it doesn't stop me doing stuff  :). I am hoping that side effects would be worse at the beginning and then get better and that, maybe, I will be ok.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »

:foryou: hope you continue to recover !

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »

Thanks CLKD - the toothache's still there but hopefully that will disappear once the drugs get properly into the system.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »

Oh Well  :-\ ...... I saw my lovely dentist today who told me that there is low-grade infection around the last back tooth upper right so long story short; need extraction followed by 1 or 2 implants ....... because of my 'young' age it is better to implant rather than leave 4 gaps along there.  So tooth needs extracting so that it doesn't blow up with pain and then ........ he is VERY good.  He did psychology as well as dentistry, is good at explaining issues and told me that I have had longer with this cracked filling than he thought was possible.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »

Implants? Wow. You may have to have a bone density test first though - my mate couldn't have hers done as she did not have enough jaw bone to anchor into. Another friend had them though - cost a fortune mind but it did look good... eventually. Lots of work - not sure I would have had the patience for it and I couldn't have afforded it anyway. Let us know how it goes. Why do you have to have an extraction just because of an infection?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

The tooth is old  ;D and has had much work done over the years.  So there's more filling than tooth.  So it will take a LOT of drilling and even then, may not be saveable.  So out with the old ......... and I don't fancy a 'plate'  :sick02:  ...... my bone density is good I think despite my age, Bless Him, he didn't know how to be diplomatic about telling me that 'at my age'  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »

Is it costly?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »

Yep.  I was offered extraction at nearly £50.00 which is essential, sooner rather than later.  A plastic plate is in the £100+, a metal plate around £600, implants are probably more comfortable adn begin at £2,000+ each.  However, they will last 15 years or so.  They take about 12-18 months for the top ones to be implanted and the crown fitted.  Oh errrrr .......... 'at my age ' and as I have fillings on the other side of the mouth, if I began eating purely on that side I would need work doing sooner rather than later so it sort of evens out.

viv

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »

I just could not afford that. If its not in my "smile line" then sod it. If I cant chew it i will suck it  :o :o

Viv
x

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 08:34:25 PM »

I couldn't afford it either and not sure i would be able to go through with it anyway http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/d/dental-implants#textBlock196896    You are a braver woman than me CLKD!!

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30