Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!  (Read 101902 times)

Taz2

Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!
« on: December 20, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

Hi Ladies - I managed to get an emergency appointment today with my lovely dentist thinking that I just needed a small filling, maybe, to stop the toothache I have had for a few days. It turns out it is an abscess in my gum which needs prompt treatment. She has done the cleaning up and I am still, thankfully, numb but I have to take Flagyl. The dentist was very straight and honest telling me to go and get anything done that I need to do before I start them as there is only a very slim chance that I wont end up either feeling really sick or being sick or with a nasty case of "the runs" as she put it.

Still, I suppose that's better than raging toothache. Can't drink alcohol either. I still have lots to do and to top it all OH has been sent to Teesside till late Christmas Eve so as well as sorting my house out I am also sorting his out and feeding his cats, birds, keeping an eye on the pond etc etc.  ::)

Still onwards and upwards... and it's snowing hard... oh well what doesn't get done doesn't get done!

Taz x  :)

Eddie

Re: Dental abscess and not finished the shopping yet!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

Oh poor you. I know what it's like though, i still have pain in my gum, g.p ain't interested and dentist couldn't see anything, i wonder though if i go back to either if maybe this antibiotic would clear it up, it's like really sensitive teeth in the cold.
Taz you are only one person, one amazing person i might add, but still only one pair of hands. Don't run yourself ragged, Christmas is only one day after all. Eddie. x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »

Thanks Eddie. It's just the presents I still want to get are for the people who might help out! I think I have had Flagyl before - made me feel not well but wasn't too bad. I am just having a moan. OH is on  msn and asking me about the weather and he says "you sound in a bad mood"  :beat: :beat: :beat:

Taz x

Suzi Q

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »

Taz poor you and take the Flag dont wait get them in to your system
Its only Monday you maybe fine by Thursday night and you can stop them for Xmas eve and Day (if you drink that is)
I got an abss on Xmas eve 1974 on my front tooth by Xmas morning at 4.30 Geoffrey had gone to my MUM and DADS
They came up to the house saw Farther Christmas with David called a GP out
I remember nearly having my hair burnt by the heat of the gas fire trying to get the pain away I was given a pen injection
He came back 6 hrs later and gave me another one and again at 6pm I had 3 pen needles between 5am and 6pm and guess what
the buggar burst that very night all I remember about Xmas day 1974 was there was a DR at Sea film on at night
thats when I started to come too so take the pills and dont ruin Xmas for you or OH OK XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX just for you
Cant you ring the GP up and ask for a script of Stemital in case they do make you feel sick IM sure they dont contra xxxxxxx

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »

Oh poor you. I know what it's like though, i still have pain in my gum, g.p ain't interested and dentist couldn't see anything, i wonder though if i go back to either if maybe this antibiotic would clear it up, it's like really sensitive teeth in the cold.
Taz you are only one person, one amazing person i might add, but still only one pair of hands. Don't run yourself ragged, Christmas is only one day after all. Eddie. x
Has the gp got Xray eyes?
If the ab is right under the tooth inside the core of it how can he or anyone beside a dentist and Xray see it
Ring ask say you need it LIE say the dentist said you have one I would broad spec like Keflax are slower to work but
They wont spoil anything for yu or make you sick though they may give you Thrush xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Eddie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »

Suzi, I know what you mean about G.P. i couldn't get dentist so the g.p. gave me antibiotics, they didn't do anything but give me thrush, i thought they may refer me to dental dept? or dental hospital, dentist did xrays and nothing, but it's bloomin' sore when the cold air or anything warm touches it? That's months that it's been going on for, i just don't know what else to do.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

Nasty!  I hate getting stuff like that from the dentist.  ALways makes me really ill.  Is it just a one dose thing or over a few days?  If it's one dose, you'll feel ok for Christmas day hopefully.  My dentist usually gives the one dose stuff.  Pretty lethal I can tell you.

Suzi Q

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:58:31 PM »

Suzi, I know what you mean about G.P. i couldn't get dentist so the g.p. gave me antibiotics, they didn't do anything but give me thrush, i thought they may refer me to dental dept? or dental hospital, dentist did xrays and nothing, but it's bloomin' sore when the cold air or anything warm touches it? That's months that it's been going on for, i just don't know what else to do.

OH maybe you have developed sensative teeth if its hot or cold that makes it hurt
I have that had it for years I use Sesodyne its not cheap and theres a new onw out called Sensodyne Rapid it works asap
I thought it was a load of crap but it does work I get a tingky OOUCH every now and then but by and large its fine go buy some
Give it a go and use it 3 times a day every day soft toothbrush ONLY and warm rinse and dont scrub OH and the most important thing FLOSS every day in fact if you can every time you eat that may all thats wrong xxxxxxxxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 03:20:06 PM »

A dentist can often tell if there is an abscess by the way the patient needs scraping off the ceiling once the gum is prodded  :o!  As for gifts, don't worry.  New Year will be fine  ;).  Make sure that you are where you need to be in order to care for the cats, pond etc., it's a full time job here and we live at home! 

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »

It says that 200mg is normal for dental infections but she has prescribed 400mg three times a day for three days. I think she wanted me to get it out of the way before Christmas so I could have a glass of wine or two. She did say that if they made me feel really horrible then to take it for two days if possible.

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »

:tulips2: :bighug: Let's hope it works quickly  :pills: and you don't feel too  :sick02:
Bixby x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »

That's a high doseage for a reason  ;) .. to get the drug into your system to fight the infection as quickly as possible.  Don't even consider drinking alcohol for at least 3 days after you stop taking it!  although soaking the affected gum could be seen as medicinal purposes of course  :P

viv

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:11 PM »

My dentist is very clued up in homeopathic remedies. When I have had an abscess she has told me to try Hepar Sulph. It really helps. I am not suggesting that you dont take the anti biotics but this stuff really helps.

Viv
x

Eddie

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »

Viv. I forgot about that, i will try it out, Suzi, it's like sensitive teeth when there is a change in temp, but other than that it's uncomfortable to touch the tooth with even my tongue, i can't bite even toast, and if my bottom tooth hits it, it's agony. I think it's prob a low grade infection that will hopefully eventually pass. However going skiing after xmas is going to be testing.  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 11:06:43 PM »

It's ok I know about the alcohol thing. No alcohol for at least 48 hours after you finish the course if you want to avoid falling over and throwing up after one GLASS instead of one BOTTLE!

Have taken the first one anyway - so only eight more to go!

By the way one interesting thing emerged from my visit today. She mentioned that the abscess was caused because my gums are shrinking. She couldn't understand it as six months ago my gums were really healthy. I mentioned that I had stopped HRT a couple of months ago and she said "Well, that's your answer then".  I feel about 90 now!

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30