Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Good & bad points about giving up smoking.  (Read 92125 times)

ariadne

Re: Good & bad points about giving up smoking.
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »

Day one of my hubby trying to give up smoking today. He has patches and an inhalator, hasn't smoked today but he says he's climbing the walls.

I don't know how to help. I'm torn between whether it's best to say nothing much about it unless he mentions it for fear of "nagging" or whether to keep asking how he's getting on so he doesn't think I'm not being supportive.

Well done Cazi, you're doing really well.

Cazikins

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »

How is hubby doing Ariadne?. Tell him it does get easier.

I cut down the strength of the patches tomorrow, I go from 25mcg to 15mcg. I stay on that for 2 weeks then go down to 10mcg for another 2 weeks & then I stop altogether.

I feel like a fat round barrell at the moment, but one thing at a time.

Love Cazi xx

ariadne

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »

He's doing Ok thanks Cazi. He hasn't had a cigar since November 1st but he is VERY quiet and a bit fragile, easily upset by family things etc. He's not been bad tempered at all though which I'm pleased about - and Lord knows my stepson has given him plenty of reason to be bad tempered and resort to a cigar or three.

I do hope he can keep it up. I think it would help if he could say he actually felt any better for giving up but he says he feels no different at all. Except he says he hasn't spent the money in his wallet for ages  ;D

He sees his NHS non smoking "lady" once a week for a consulations and she will advise when to change strength of patches etc. I imagine.

Well done to you and hope it's still going well for you.

Cazikins

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 08:24:39 PM »

13 weeks tomorrow.  :banana:
I have been off patches now for 10 days, I stopped them a bit early because I was getting a rash from them (same thing happened with HRT patches). I think it's the adhesive - it got all red, blotchy & itchy.
I have not been sleeping well since stopping them, in fact last night was the first night I got a decent nights sleep in over a week. They do say that giving up nicotine can disturb your sleep. Several nights I have had to sleep in the spare bed - hope it starts to improve soon.
Oh & still eating too much.  ::) ::)

Love Cazi xx

Bette

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »

But YOU'RE NOT SMOKING  and that's brilliant!  :congrats:  :parti:
Bixby x

catweazle

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »

13 weeks that's fantastic

Things will only get better. Well done you!

Catweazle  :-* :-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 08:27:07 AM »

Well Done!   :congrats: .......

Eddie

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 11:43:42 PM »

Well done from me too Cazikins.  :) Eddie. x

Stella_al

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »

Hi Gang,

Got sent over here by Bette.

Cos of my lovely early meno , am going down the egg donation route this year.
Its gonna cost a bomb and obv want it to work so I know I will have to give up  :'( :'(

Dont want to / cant just yet......just got my 1st prescription for HRT today and dont think I could handle all of this cr*p at the same time.

Just ordered that Allan Carr book - and am puffing on my electronic cigarette (after just having stubbed my real one out) as I type this.

I luuuurve my fags - I want to cry at the thought of not having one  - seriously :'(

Al x
PS Trying not to be selfish + I know I should be thinking about the child but it really hurts - anyone know what I mean ? This isnt going to work if I'm not positive........

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

Hi Stella - have you started the HRT in readiness for the egg donation? It is really exciting for you and I can see how you perhaps feel that at the moment it is not a good time to try to give up the ciggies. Do they still run the NHS smoking clinics? A couple of friends of mine have given up using this route and they found it really helpful.

You can do this. Just think of what you will achieve at the end of it all.

Taz x

Harrys-girl

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »

Afternoon all

I gave up smoking 15 months ago and I was a fully paid up member of the 'professional 30 a day smoker brigade'. I always said I would only try to give up once and thankfully I did, however it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. If you think mood swings are bad in the meno, you should have seen me day 2 of my quit!!

I quit using the smoking drug Champix which I would recommend.

The only down side was, I personally thought giving up smoking increased my meno symptoms a great deal. I know the medical profession will disagree and everyone is different but my hot flushes increased a lot. However...I much prefer being an ex smoker than a smoker, the pros outweigh the cons.

My advice to anyone trying to give up is you MUST be mentally prepared, as quitting requires self belief and balls of steel. The other thing is you really must want to give up yourself, I don't care if your kids, partner, parents or the milkman want you to give up (they do not matter), it must be all about you.

Good luck

Stella_al

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »

Good idea Taz- thanks - will have a google ! and yes its for the donation as well as a big osteoporosis thing in my family.

Harry's girl - you are so right ! Had an old gp who never used to criticise - said the same thing - "Give up when YOU are ready cos then you will find the reason eg health money etc. Doing it for others will fail."

Had a bit of a booze last night - finally the tears about all this meno came. My husband know me better than I do and said it was well overdue ! He knew that cheery, feisty positive attitude had a hidden thing underneath .  ;D :'( :o

Dont think its all out yet (am a big believer in having a good blub rather than keeping things in - that way lies depression).  So might poke myself in the eye or watch Rocky LOL to get a bit of a blub going   :D

Where can I buy some willpower please ?? ;D :valkyrie:

Will keep you all updated - if anyone is interested........I can assure you it will be very humerous if nothing else - I am a bit of a TMI person !

Thanks for your support  :-*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:15:52 PM by Stella_al »

Bette

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 01:36:23 PM »

Yes, please do keep us updated.  :) Hopefully it will be good for you to share and also might help others who are facing the same challenges.
OH always encourages me to "let it all out" too and it does help - always feel better when I've told him something, even if it's something I feel silly or ashamed about feeling.  :-\ :'(
Bette x

terriw

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »

Well done Cazi........and everyone else who is quitting the weed. I know just how hard it is for you.....

I have gone 8 weeks now without one after having been smoking for over 30 years. I had stopped for a few days as I had a bad tummy bug but decided to have a go and keep at it even once I recovered.

I have given up in the past for short bursts, the longest time being 6 months. Mostly as I was going through IVF. I'd start off determined but with each failed IVF attempt I'd be reaching for the ciggies again.

I'd been reading about how smoking can make the hot flushes worse. Having suffered drenching sweats for over 3 years and not having found anything to stop them I was hanging onto to this and it made me even more determined and I was SO looking forward to all those benefits.

Well...the hot flushes have got much worse since I stopped....really snot fair!!!! :bang: :bang:

.....and I'm not sleeping well but then I never did really.

It does get easier though. For the first couple of weeks I'd get up in the morning, have breakfast and a cuppa and find myself heading out the door afterwards out of habit (I never smoked indoors, only outside). Now it doesn't occur to me.

It's true that you have to do it when YOU want to and when YOU feel ready. Nobody else should make you do it.

I am gaining weight though, eating too much!! :boobs: :boobs:

just waiting for the libido to come back........ :jiggy: :jiggy:

Stella_al

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »

Blimey Ladies !

From a Mega Puffer, COngrats for doing so well !!

Dont know how much that means to me - at the mo I cant see myself going without for a week  :o :o so well done for coming so far.

What planet are we on LOL - Meno, stress from IVF, giving up fags.....dont fancy anyone's chances if they hit us at the wrong time  :angryfire: :diablo:

Although I am not "in the zone" yet am having a practice run (or is it called trying to cut down...)

Am puffing on an electronic cigarette (How do you know when the cartridge needs changing?......TBH I think I would get more out of those sweety ones you had when you were a kid) while simultaneously muching on twiglets

This has disaster written all over it - you just KNOW I will crunch on the e-cig in a minute  ;D and a fun packed trip to the dentist.

Keep going girls.....am sending you all virtual Twiglets n hugs !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13