Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 85318 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Noise
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:38 AM »

Certainly the new owners 3 doors down did a lot of 'doing up' for the first 3 months, all finished now  ;) at times though I had to drive away for half an hour to give my brain a rest!

Lucky Stone

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »

Time for an amusing - and true - story. My friend used to have a Jag she used for work. Her hubby runs a driving school so there's always a lot of vehicles around, anyway, one winter's night she wanted the Jag moved to the front of the house ready for the next morning so after some shifting of the driving school cars about, this was achieved, she went in and went to bed. Now, in the morning, her hubby often goes out and starts the car to warm it up for her (!), so ... she went out to get in the car for work, already running as usual, pulled out of the drive, glanced at the fuel gauge and saw it was on the red. Strange, she thought, that was full yesterday, so where's the fuel gone.  Well, you've guessed it, she'd moved the car the night before, gone in and left the engine running AND IT HAD BEEN RUNNING ALL NIGHT AND USED A WHOLE TANK OF FUEL. :) :) Couldn't make it up, could you? ::)

CLKD

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 02:01:22 PM »

Lucky it wasn't nicked  >:( .......

Eddie

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »

;D ;D about the Jag.

Dede

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »

Hello Ladies,
 I'm sorry to put a downer on this and I do understand how you all feel, but I'm having to take early retirement now from a much loved job because of my hearing loss. I guess we dont realise how lucky we are until it is no longer there.

Taz2

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »

So sorry to hear that Dede. You are right in that we don't appreciate what we have until it is taken away from us. Did we know about your hearing loss? Sorry if I missed your posting about it. Feel free to have a chat if you want to. In the meantime have a big hug from me  :hug:

Taz x

Dede

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »

Thank you Taz, I added it to this thread about a month ago. I was so relieved at the time that I was able to hear something again. Unfortunatly though its not come back sufficiently for me to continue my job. It was a huge shock at the time and very depressing but I'm coming to terms with it a bit more now. Just trying to decide what I'd like to do now.........
any suggestions ?

Taz2

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »

I have found it Dede and copied it - hope you don't mind.....

"I'll never complain about noise again after what happened to me four weeks ago.
 I woke up and couldnt hear anything, not even my own voice (I posted a message about it ) It was the most frightening experience I have ever had. I felt totally isolated and trapped inside my own head. I was desperate to hear anything. There was no sign of infection in my ear but I was given antibiotics just in case. Its a long story but after six days I heard the car engine and traffic in the street for the first time, not a lot but it was a start and I was so relieved. I finally managed to get an urgent appoinment at ENT and was told it was ETD eustacian tube disfunction.
 I'm still finding it hard to hear voices but I'm so relieved that I can now hear something, even flushing the toilet is music to my ears ! I found a help line where people had posted their experiences of ETD and in some cases it has take six months for it to clear up. Maybe we should start a topic on favourite sounds.

Just thought I would put it in here for others who missed it. How scary for you Dede. A friend of my sons has had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago. She had just come back from her honeymoon (we went to the wedding which I put on a thread somewhere as it was quite funny) and lost her hearing completely. She is still undergoing tests - MRI scan various other things to determine what is the matter. She has got back a little bit of her hearing but it is a very long process and as she is only in her early twenties she is very unhappy and scared.

Is your hearing loss likely to be permanent?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »

I would rather go blind than deaf ............

Lucky Stone

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:30 PM »

One wouldn't want to make a choice, but no, I think I would opt for sight before ears ... still dealing with my sore eye so my mind has been a bit focused on senses recently. My mum was deaf, Dede, a middle ear problem that is hereditary, her mum was as well but - touch wood - my ears are okay at the moment. However, I can understand how such a sudden loss would be such a shock and make you panic, I think we all would.  :( It's going to take you a while to adjust, do you have the opportunity for an 'employment breathing space'? I hope so. One thing to remember, they are developing new stuff all the time, medicine marches on, so don't give up hope with your ears, a solution could be just a matter of time. In the meantime, I am also sending you hugs (can't do the moving  :bighug: ... ooh, yes I can!) take care of yourself and we are, of course, all on here to offer loads more of them.

Lucky Stone

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 03:45:58 PM »

Have just seen your posting Pammie. My lovely elderly neighbours in London went through something similar some years ago. People who moved into the flat upstairs were a nightmare and so noisy. They were Turkish and even after pleading from the Turkish folk next door in their own language (they are old, would you like someone to treat your parents this way etc?), they did not stop. It drove them barmy and made their flat a hellhole. With the help of the noise people at the council and after a court case, they did get it resolved and the noisy ones moved out but they had a couple of years of real hell. I have always lived by the maxim that your home is your castle and the one place you should be able to retreat from the world and be peaceful. I hope your situation is resolved really soon. Good luck.

Taz2

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »

I wonder where they were moved on to......?

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »

Also it's whether I can get away from the irritations that surround me and often the answer is 'no'  :'(.  So I get annoyed, upset, tired .....

Taz2

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »

Everyone needs an escape sometimes. I hate it if the car's not on the road so I can't go for my drives around the country.

Taz x

Dede

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »

I certainly didnt mean to trivialise the discomfort felt by excessive noise and I have had experience of this myself in the past. In my case it looks as if the loss will be permanent, no noticeable difference in my audiograms. I already had a hearing loss with sensitivity to low sounds ( drum and base would drive me mad ) but not being able to hear anything was devastating. I had tinnitus at the same time, like the wind howling in my ear. It drove me mad but fortunatly that has gone now.
It has been a very difficult time for me recently, not being able to hear my grandchildren laughing has been particularly hard. I guess I was feeling sorry for myself when I read his thread and felt how I would do anything to be able to hear again regardless of how annoying it was. I know its easy for me to say when I'm not having to put up with noise nuisance but all I know is that wneh my hearing went completely I
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20