Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 815883 times)

Garnet

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »

If it works I think it's GOOD but as someone who could never go on the pill (migraines etc) I am suffering big time with the side effects - nausea, headache, achine joints, tight chest (asthmatic), skin irritation, feeling unwell etc.  As I mentioned on another site GP has said not an option to reduce from 50 to 25 so have to grin and bear it for the next 3 years following my TAH/BSO 3 months ago.

Garnetx

Hot2Trot

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 08:43:45 PM »

I have replied on your other thread about your dosage and your doctor's opinion of this.  I will repeat it here anyway, which is that the latest guidance is that HRT should not be given solely for bone protection and it seems a bit presumptive to have prescribed it for you so soon without knowing whether you were going to be hit by other menopause symptoms or not.

I have asked you to say on your other thread what you are taking and in what form to see if anyone can help with any other advice.

Garnet

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »

Thanks Hot2Trot
I have taken your advice on board and will ask whether reducing the gel and taking additional bone protection is an option. I am currently on Oestrogel 0.06%. It has also been suggested that my taking of evening primrose could be causing side effects so have decided to stop this for a while to see if there is any improvement.

HRT was prescribed by the hospital consultant 4 days post op without knowing whether I had any symptoms or not. Sadly, the consultant does not give follow up appointments. It was up to me to see my GP for any follow up I may feel I need.(not very impressed about this as any other major surgery is routinely followed up).

Thanks again

manypaws

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:45 PM »

Hi

Ihave been taking  HRT for around 4 weeks now  Iam on Elleste solo and provera ,
the main reason I went on it was for my sweats  and bad mood swings and it has helped in both those cases so bring it on i say, the on ly down side is that I have been on a period for just over 3 weeks but my doctor did say that if it dosnt sort it self out then she will put me on a cyclic one then at least i will know when i am going to have a period  the only worry i have about that is that my body will have just got used to one lot of tablets and then will have to start again with a new lot ,but I am thinking positive for me at the moment they are a good thing .

Cazikins

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »

H2T - sorry I missed the fact that you are now on HRT. Like you I struggled for a long long time without it. I tried all the things that I thought would help & get me through it but..
Yes the herbal/alternative products were good for a while but in the end we all know our limitations & what we can cope with.
It was a massive decision for me to go on HRT & a decision that I am still not 100% sure about but like you I have felt & experienced the benefits. I have more energy & stamina. I can cope with my full time job without breaking down in tears when I get home at night. Overall I think I made the right choice - I mean why carry on if your quality of life is so miserable everyday? well mine was. I like to be in control of things & know what is going to happen next.
I hope this relief from the awful symptoms carries on & the side effects that I have (mainly diaorhea) recede within time.

I personaly think that I have to give it another month when the "trial period" is up. My decission will be to carry on as long as I can - if the doc allows me to.

Cazikins

Manypaws - I hope you stick with the HRT after reading the above. I know we are all different but you have to be patient with things like this. There are the plusses & the minuses to HRT. What has helped & what has not?? You have to weigh it up for yourself.  :)

Garnet

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »

I was in Boots today and still suffering from headaches and nausea due to HRT (been on 3 months) and after a chat with the pharmacist and assistant bought Menopace Plus. This can be taken alongside or instead of HRT. What I intend to do is to gradually come off the HRT and take this instead. Still not sure whether it is worth seeing GP as she was not willing to reduce my HRT when I spoke to her last.

My main worries are osteoporosis (drink 1 pint of milk per day & cheese etc) and vaginal dryness.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Garnet

Ninfapaola

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »

I am quite confused about HRT  :-\

Once you come off HRT does your menopausal symptons return?  If they do, is going on to HRT just delaying the inevitable?

Also the weight gain issue.  Without HRT I don't seem to be able to control my weight inspite of what I do so if I took HRT would my weight spiral out of control even more thus giving more concerns about my health by being overweight?

I would be grateful for any advice.  Oh and I have a clueless GP  so he wouldn't be of any help.  I think he only knows how to prescribe antibiotics!

Squirrel

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »

Garnet

Could you not take a calcium supplement.  That's the one thing my dr did say to take.

Ninfapaola

I'm not on HRT but from what I have read, yes whatever symptoms it stopped come back if you stop HRT.  Which I guess makes sense, as loss of hormones causes the problems so you are only replacing what your body no longer makes, and if you stop that supply your body will again react to the loss once more.  ???  Well, I know what I mean.

Sleepless

flutterby

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:21 PM »

I must admit when I went on HRT 6 years ago I thought I would experience less symptoms for a shorter length of time when I came off it than I would have done if I didn't take it. One doctor I saw inferred that it was just delaying the inevitable and I wouldn't experience any less symptoms, but gave no explanation why.
I know it is very complex including the reaction of FSH as well as oestrogen and progesterone and probably other hormonal influences - but I wonder while you are taking it, the fluctuations in your own hormones which causes some horrible symptoms such as hot flushes are kept in check by HRT. When you come of it after say a few years although you will lacking in oestrogen and will have to deal with that, but you will find your own hormones won't be there to act, shall I say wildly as the do during probably what is more accurately called the perimenopause.
These are just my thoughts ( and my brain is a bit fuddled at the moment) but I would love someone to give a scientific reason for all this.
Flutterby

marymouse

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 02:20:59 PM »

I've been on Nuvelle for two months now.  I've had one bleed with another one on its way and to be honest it was no worse than a normal period.  I've had some leg pains but they're going off.

The hot flushes and night sweats went within a few days.

I don't have any more energy but I have an unrelated health problem at the moment which is making me really tired.

The other really good thing is that my sex drive came back in an enormous whoosh!!  (trouble is, being tired I can't necessarily act on it that much).  It has made me feel so much more relaxed and it's great to start fancying mens bottoms again!!!

RainyDay

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

HRT is good. 

Like Panther I felt that quality of life was more important that some minimal extra risk of some cancer or other.

My male doctor in UK prescribed something that didn´t get rid of periods and it didn´t agree with me (making me fel even more depressed than I was) but then my proper doctor (female) put me on to Premique which was great. I came off last May after nearly a year of reducing and/or taking it when I remembered to.

ladyjane

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »

What I don't understand about HRT or ERT is why you have to come off it, why not take it for the rest of your life if it suits you, the body needs hormones to function, that's what ageing is. If you view it as a preventative therapy instead of tiding you over the menopause the less stress is caused. I think of it as being healthy and strong for the rest of my life.
The myth is that you get over menopause when in fact you are in menopause for the rest of your life, your body has to get use to reduced  hormones, but it is not a healthy state. If you are able to take HRT and it suits you just be glad, and forget that you are taking it and enjoy your life.
Sandy
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:00:51 PM by ladyjane »

Garnet

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 04:58:39 PM »

Sleepless in London - as Hot2trot says about bone protection I have realised that my GP is incorrect in her advice. I'm not sure whether I need calcium supplements as I drink about a pint of milk a day and eat yoghurts and cheese.

I actually saw another GP yesterday as I have another bladder infectio and severe headaches. She says my blood pressure is raised and repeated what Hot2trot had said previously about bone protection. As I'm 47 she saw no reason why I should continue on HRT if it raised my blood pressure and I'm weaning off it and going to go with the Menopace. However I only used half the Oestrogel last night and have a blinding headache today - co-incidence or what!! I have to go back on Monday to have my bp checked again and hope it's better because I fly on holidays with my daughter on Wednesday! I'm also recovering from a TAH/BSO so am feeling really fed up today and really sorry for myself. But enough moaning!!

Life is never easy, is it?

Garnet

nelly

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »

I have been taking HRT for about 4 months via patches (Evoral) - I am 43 and have never had children and found this to be a lifesaver - all my symptoms have gone, my sex life has improved and I feel normal again - I guess I just got lucky with the patches as I was half expecting to have many different types before I found one that suited me.

ladyjane

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »

Have just read this on another forum and felt I just had to post the link

http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/index.php'showtopic=9022&st=0

If you can put up with a long read (two pages) the information and experiences of these women is fascinating.

Sandy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 83