Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 815660 times)

Jari

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #1110 on: February 09, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I appreciate that.

Possibly the hrt that you are taking does not have breathing problems as a side effect.

I took Oestrogel. I was prescribed 2 pumps a day, which I think is quite low, however, after a couple of weeks I noticed slight breathing difficulty. I decided myself to reduce to one pump a day. After another 2 or 3 weeks I was still quite breathless. It wasn't improving. I think I even then reduced to half a pump, but it still didn't improve. It kept getting worse. To the point I was then one day sitting on the edge of the bath and gasping for breath. I was told to stop it immediately. I did and my breathing improved within days.

I still have the leaflet from the pack. There are lists of different side effects, but the first list starts with the first of 13 of the most common. These include: symptoms of an allergic reaction, sudden chest pain, pain in chest that spreads to arms or neck, difficulty in breathing, breast lumps, anaphylactic reaction.  etc etc.

So, mine does state difficulty in breathing. Which hrt do you take? Does yours not state this? I would be interested to know if different types can cause different side effects?

I am very curious to know why I had that reaction.

Thank you! :)

Lor5

« Reply #1111 on: February 26, 2020, 10:51:21 PM »

Very bad in my case.

I took a very low dose of gel. After just two months I was gasping for breath, constantly hungry, put on a lot of weight, breast tissue hardened and became lumpy... re the gasping for breath, I was told to come off it immediately.

I am so pleased to have found out sooner than later of the disastrous effects it can have.  I really had no idea how powerful is was.

Penelope

« Reply #1112 on: February 27, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »

Great for me once I got past the three months of horrendous side effects.
Has relieved me of all my menopause symptoms and also all my Hashimoto's symptoms.

Zar

« Reply #1113 on: June 07, 2020, 04:29:55 PM »

I've been on combination HRT for 4 months now (Evorel Sequi) and love it - it has changed my life dramatically!!! But I have come across this article on breast cancer.org which says there is 75% increased chance of breast cancer with combination HRT. I'm sure I must be interpreting it wrong as I've never seen that figure mentioned anywhere before, as I did a lot of research beforehand. I thought most of the problems came from the research from 2002, but this is breast cancer.org which surely must be based on recent research. Am I reading it wrong?? Looking for someone to put my mind at ease and sorry if I've mis-interpreted it and giving people a fright! :

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/hrt

Joaniepat

« Reply #1114 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »

See my and CLKD's comments on you other thread.

JP x

Zar

« Reply #1115 on: June 08, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »

Thank you! x

devonlass

« Reply #1116 on: June 27, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »

Hi I have been hrt for nearly two weeks I know it's early days but still having hot flushs and
This second week feeling quite yucky headache and a horrible taste in my mouth is this normal I'm on evorel 25mg and progesterone 100mg one daily

jeninfrance

• First Flush
« Reply #1117 on: June 28, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »

Hi I have just joined the forum and hope my experiences will help some of you and perhaps some medical advice will help my problem.I had a total hysterectomy when I was 48 and have been applying 5mg estradiol gel for 24 yrs with no problems.I was living in France and french doc said it was ok to continue, even when I reached 70.Last year at 72 I had a very minor stroke(cardiovascular accident).French hospital consultants thought it was caused by HRT and HRT was stopped.
In the year leading up to stroke husband spent 6 mths in hosp and rehab after breaking pelvis,I handled the sale and organisation of moving from a very large house, so had a lot of stress.Mother died from stroke at 50 and father had minor strokes before his death at 89.Are these more likely reasons for my stroke rather than HRT?
 I have been having hot flushes,night sweats,dry,itching vagina and bladder problems.Now back in Scotland have been using 10mg estradiol pessaries and they have worked like magic.Only sweats and hot flushes now, which I can cope with.Question is should I continue with HRT and possibly risk another stroke or take a chance on almost feeling normal again?
Advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.

sheila99

« Reply #1118 on: June 29, 2020, 08:39:53 AM »

You may be interested in this https://www.nhs.uk/news/medication/stroke-risk-lower-with-hrt-patches/
Most people who have strokes aren't on hrt so IMO the doc was wrong to say hrt caused it as he can't know. The study above indicates no increased risk with low dose patches. I would expect gel to be the same as it's transdermal. At the end of the day it has to be your choice after you've weighed up the pros and cons.

Doll 73

• First Flush
« Reply #1119 on: July 15, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »

Can anyone tell me if hrt is good for you and helps. I'm looking at starting prognova 1mg but seems no one has responded to whether they have taken it. Managed to find old posts from 2015 so is it a really old drug. Really dont know what to do whether to start it or not bother. Defo perimenopause had hysterectomy 6 years ago and I'm 47. Kept my ovaries but sick of feeling tired all time aching joints cant sleep palpation foggy brain. Would love peoples views please xxx

Anna69

« Reply #1120 on: July 17, 2020, 06:52:14 AM »

From all the articles and studies I´ve read, it would seem that bio-identical HRT is safer than synthetic, and that transdermal estrogen is safer than oral (ie does not raise the risk of blood clots/thrombosis). As long as you take bio-identical HRT, I cannot see how it could be bad for you, since all you are doing is basically supplying the hormones your own body used to make in abundance.
I do believe, however, that synthetic hormones with a different structures than our own carry certain risks if used long-term, which is why I prefer bio-identical HRT.
Most important of all - no woman should have to suffer needlessly at this day and age, when there are so many options available.

Roperali

• First Flush
« Reply #1121 on: July 23, 2020, 01:50:57 PM »

I’ve just started on evorel patches and am finding the nausea pretty grim - does it wear off ?

Kay21

« Reply #1122 on: July 23, 2020, 10:19:07 PM »

[I’m struggling so much at the moment with my decision to go on hrt.
I’ve been so sure I want to try it until tonight I read a negative post on fb about it and I’m all up in the air again now. I just feel so wretched all the time my quality of life sucks. But I’m cancerphobic and I feel like I’m playing Russian roulette
With my health too. I just don’t know what to do. 
quote author=Libby Babe I’m link=topic=794.msg7678#msg7678 date=1179759400]
Hi Hot2Trot
It is a very difficult decision to make I agree with you there and I always vowed I would NEVER take HRT, mainly because of all the bad press it seems to get.  However, there came a time (about 2 months ago) that enough was enough and I couldn't stand it any longer.  I am afraid I shut my ears a bit to all the bad press and just decided to go for it and give it a try.  It has helped and I hope it will continue to do so and I am trying not to worry about what happens too far in the future.  Initially I am only on a 3 month trial but if the benefits continue then I will be reluctant to come off it.

No one can decide for you but all I would say is that there is a certain element of risk in so many things that we do in our lives and maybe we need to think of HRT as just another one of those things and maybe it is worth a try!  I hope you don't think I am being too naive about this but quality of life NOW is so important to us all, don't you agree?

I hope you can decide what to do and make the best decision for yourself.

Take care
Love Libby
[/quote]

suej102

• First Flush
« Reply #1123 on: August 05, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »

Kay that is such a useful response and I really hear you! I too have been in the 'I'm going to do this menopause thing naturally' camp, but the way I am feeling right now is raising some serious questions for me in terms of my mental health and if it might be something I really need to reconsider.

We just have to feel our way along sometimes - let go of old beliefs and rules - refresh our data and have another look! I'm new in here but really loving hearing all of this amazing support.

Thank you.

sed

« Reply #1124 on: August 18, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

I’ve just started on evorel patches and am finding the nausea pretty grim - does it wear off ?

Hey

Just wondered how you are with these now?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 83