Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 815621 times)

jaycee

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #1005 on: June 23, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »

I have posted several times on here about my hair loss, i was taking livial,[tibilone] from about 18 months ago, and also given vagifem, and my hair loss now is terrible,i
I always had thick hair, and with the menopause it did thin a bit but all over, but now i have actual bald patches, i have seen a few comments about people on vagifem losing hair, but then told it is too small an amount to cause hair loss,
I have now gone off livial, and just started on Evoral Conte, but one of the side effects it says is or could be hair loss, i really dont want to lose any more
The comments about vagifem are worrying though, and i have seen a few comments about it,
I thought my hair loss might be because livial has a kind of testosterone in it,
The noretheristerone kind of progesterone is what is named as what causes hair lossi Evoral  conte

Sammiejane

« Reply #1006 on: June 23, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »

Hi Jaycee

Well I noticed my hairloss after being on vagifem for 6 weeks it was shedding loads like 250/300 hairs and a got 20/30 just brushing I swapped to ovestin but it is still thinning now I also take oestrogel 2 pumps estrogen level 195 in March 2019 and testosterone 0.8 I am having retested next week but my hair is thinning dramatically I think to be honest that mine is estrogen ! I never had hair loss on the pill but then it was combined with progesterone so I'm thinking it's an imbalance of hormones plus my weight is going up and up and I lost weight through menopause ! I'm right fed up and not sure whether to stop it or change to a patch because also I feel rubbish mood so up and down sucidal one minute then I'm ok then badly depressed. I went cold turkey for 4 years and only started for suspected VA and think a little incontinence but something has upset my hair cycle and is still shedding now 80-120 hairs when washing and 5-15 when brushing but it's almost bald nape of neck and receded behind my ears thinning sides temple on top

Aby123

• First Flush
« Reply #1007 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:31 AM »

Hi Jaycee
I'm on tibalone and have taken Vagifem in the past.  When taking vagifem for 6 months, I never noticed any shedding, but I'm now on Tibalone, (stopped vagifem) I am shedding quite bad, and my hair is quite fine to begin with so Im not keen in loosing more!

I'm thinking of asking for a change in HRT, I'm post meno, and just don't think this one is hitting the spot for me.  I still have really bad musculokeletal issues, painful thumbs, and knee joint.  Aching muscles and tendons that feel too tight at times, along with other symptoms.

The sleeping and the vaginal issues are much better.....but my quality of life is still very hit and miss.  Hoping another type can help....any advice welcome ladies

jaycee

« Reply #1008 on: June 24, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »

I am thinking now then it must be the Tibilone that has caused the hair shedding, but i was on Tibilone years ago, and didn't have any then, as far as i know except for a bit of thinning, but i expected some because of menopause anyway, but this now is ridiculous, i have had to get some topik hair fibres as it is very noticeable, and does look actually bald :'(
I hate these fibres as they make my hair look very dry and sticky, and feels dirty
I can't see it is the vagifem, but did start with them at the same time as Tibilone
I have started the Evoral now, but had constant runs to the toilet, have seen others comments about this too with Evoral, so will just watch how it goes with it
The strange thing though is i didn't see the plughole covered in hair or combs with any hair in them
I really like the Tibilone, but wouldn't have it again now
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:58:13 AM by jaycee »

jaycee

« Reply #1009 on: June 24, 2019, 11:50:15 AM »

*Sammiejane* i dont think it will be the vagifem, rather the testosterone, could you try without the testosterone? at least for a while to see if you are still shedding,
The tibilone has a kind of testosterone in it, and i am now thinking that is what is causing my hair loss, took it years ago but didn't really notice any great hair loss,only some thinning that wasn't too bad and i did expect some thinning as i got older anyway
I am hoping the steroid lotion the Dr gave me will help, as i have spoken to others with the same problem who have had success with it
Hope you can get it sorted,as i know it is very distressing and depressing
I would just talk to your Dr, and see what he/she thinks

Jenna

« Reply #1010 on: June 24, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »

*Sammiejane* i dont think it will be the vagifem, rather the testosterone, could you try without the testosterone? at least for a while to see if you are still shedding,
The tibilone has a kind of testosterone in it, and i am now thinking that is what is causing my hair loss, took it years ago but didn't really notice any great hair loss,only some thinning that wasn't too bad and i did expect some thinning as i got older anyway
I am hoping the steroid lotion the Dr gave me will help, as i have spoken to others with the same problem who have had success with it
Hope you can get it sorted,as i know it is very distressing and depressing
I would just talk to your Dr, and see what he/she thinks

Hair loss is actually listed as a possible side effect of Vagifem.

“What are the possible side effects of Vagifem®?
Vagifem® is only used in the vagina; however, the risks associated with oral estrogens should be taken into account. The most commonly reported side effects of Vagifem® include: headache, breast pain, irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting, stomach/abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea and vomiting, hair loss, fluid retention, and vaginal yeast infection.”

https://www.vagifem.com/

jaycee

« Reply #1011 on: June 24, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »

Someone else posted about this on mumsnet, but it was strongly denied by some as not being enough oestrogen  in a pellet to cause it.  but i looked on my info leaflet and couldn't find anything about it, but i know their website does,i wondered if after update it was found to be wrong
I will check my info leaflet again
Where did you see this please *Jenna*

Sammiejane

« Reply #1012 on: June 25, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »

Jenna- I don't take testosterone only Estrogel 2 pumps and now Ovestin but my hair is still thinning rapidly I think it's the Estrogel so think I'm going to change to everol patch and see if stops if not then I might add progesterone see if that help maybe it's an imbalance going on I can't have testosterone till my Estrogen levels are higher then 195 so again could be an imbalance here I just don't know all I know it was a lot thicker before I started Estrogen hrt

jaycee

« Reply #1013 on: June 25, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »

Sorry it was me who mentioned testosterone, Sammiejane, got mixed up, but evoral patch is oestrogen and progesterone isn't it? unless there is another evoral without progesterone, mine has both

NJB

« Reply #1014 on: June 27, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Hi all,
I have been going through the menopause for a couple of years now. To be honest I am unsure about HRT, although I have just got my first lot of Evorel Conti patches. They are still sitting in the box looking at me. The hot flushes, night sweats, lack of libido and generally feeling completely miserable has led me to get them, but still not sure. These patches are a 2 a week, is there anything wrong with me trying just 1 a week to begin with?

jaycee

« Reply #1015 on: June 27, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »

I think its a bit pointless trying 1 to begin with to be honest as you wont be able to tell what affect hrt will have if you are only taking half a dose
I have started on Evoral Conti too this week, and on my 3rd patch tomorrow, all i have noticed up to now in the last few days is i have more energy, which is a good thing for me

Joaniepat

« Reply #1016 on: June 27, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »

I would imagine the patches will be formulated to last three and a half days, so by the end of seven days you'd be runnig on empty. I would just try them at two a week as intended. You might be pleasantly surprised  :)

JP x

Katejo

« Reply #1017 on: June 27, 2019, 09:59:09 PM »

Hi all,
I have been going through the menopause for a couple of years now. To be honest I am unsure about HRT, although I have just got my first lot of Evorel Conti patches. They are still sitting in the box looking at me. The hot flushes, night sweats, lack of libido and generally feeling completely miserable has led me to get them, but still not sure. These patches are a 2 a week, is there anything wrong with me trying just 1 a week to begin with?
I have been using them for just over 2 months but was told by the meno clinic to apply half patches not full. Have just started to notice benefits (reduction in VA symptoms).

Wobbles

« Reply #1018 on: July 01, 2019, 02:32:46 AM »

I'm not sure about whether HRT is good or bad. I was prescribed Ellest duet low dose to help with night sweats that were leaving me knackered during the day. The sweats almost disappeared before I starting taking HRT. However, what I noticed was that in first week I started to ache really badly like I had flu and had a period that was heavy and very painful. I hadn't experienced that level of period pain since I was a teenager.

I started HRT in October 2018 and went on Femoston 1/10mg in February this year. I have had different symptoms every month since October - now I'm up at 3.20am 'cause I can't sleep. I'm hoping I'll just run out of side affects.

To be honest though, I think if I don't feel any better by September I may as well come off it. I didn't think I'd feel worse on HRT!
Oh, and the sweats are coming back too - great!

Jari

« Reply #1019 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »

NJB, i know the flushes etc are a right pain, but in my opinion, I wouldn't take hormones to compensate for your bodies natural hormone decline, unless you want to take them for the rest of your life, because if and when you stop taking them, your body's hormone level will then decrease and you'll be back at square one.

Lifestyle changes if you need to, definitely ease the symptoms. X
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 83