Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wise woman status  (Read 20647 times)

veganbiker

Wise woman status
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »

I know it's not for everyone but I've been a member of the pagan community for many years in various roles which I won't go into here and the menopause is considered to be very exciting as you finally reach wise woman status and become a leader of the community after which you have to be consulted about everything.

I'll be having a special celebration with the others who've reached that point shortly.

I think it's fair to say that whatever religion we are or even if we are atheist the change represents the pinnacle of our knowledge as women, we have brought up families, had experience of life, we know ourselves and are capable of not only caring for ourselves but others as well. We have something precious - knowledge and wisdom - that people in their 20's could never have.

The lines on our faces indicate everything that we have experienced and I think most of us are pretty much sorted by now.

It also means the childbearing years are over, the years of being slaves to our hormones are almost over and we finally have a clear head to see ahead without any distractions.

Sounds good to me, it's only modern society that dictates anyone over 50 is a useless old woman and as I've never given a tinkers cuss what society thinks I know they are very very wrong!

Taz2

Re: Wise woman status
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

The sentiment of being a "wise woman" is lovely and it is true that we are laying aside our fertile years and entering the next stage of our lives. What is deemed the right time though? Is it once periods have stopped? Does taking HRT change it too - while you are replacing hormones your body has given up on surely you are still a slave to them? Interesting idea this. Does this mean you will now be a Crone  :)

As for the "clear head" part - I only hope that my clear head will return one day.....  ;D

Taz x

veganbiker

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »

I try not to think of myself as a crone  :)

I don't think it matters whether you are on HRT orstill going through it - the whole hideous experience is like an initiation into something higher  ;D

This morning I look like my mother....the transition has finally happened  ;)

Bette

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »

I'm sorry but "wise woman" just makes me think of Blackadder  ;D I can hear the whole of the scene with the "wise woman" in my head complete with the silly voice - sorry to lower the tone!
Bixby x

catweazle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:59:14 PM »

What a wonderfully positive view of menopause veganbiker, I shall have to consider joining the pagans!
If only the rest of society felt the same way.

Menopause has been a very testing time indeed for me for five long years but I am now emerging stronger and, yes, definitely wiser  :)

Catweazle x

Cupcake

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »

I really like the concept of a "Wise woman". A bit like a good wine getting better with age.

MariaB

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »

I think too many of us go into the menopause with fear. Menopause is not a disease but a transition into a large segment of a life in front of us.
Its interesting that women from other cultures make this transition without all the problems we seem to see in the western world.

Eddie

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »

We do appear to be a soft culture, but i think that our culture his the top ten for most illness, weaknesses etc tells us that it's not us personally. I'd like to live somewhere that the suns feeds my body with energy, and all the good things.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

"In the cool, of the evening
They used to gather ..........  "

Roy Bailey, 'burning times'

Isis, Istate, Diane, Hegarty, Demita, Karli, Inanna .......... [

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »

I quite like this version of that song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9PJvy-LmYA&feature=related   but I do lose interest halfway through - sorry x

Taz x

Scampi

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »

I too am Pagan (Wiccan, actually) - a Wiccan friend of mine recently gave me, completely unsolicited, a tiny silver Goddess pendant - she told me She was to guide me on my journey to the next part of my life.  I was very touched (and this lady had no idea I had any physical meno symptoms - she just 'knew').  Congratulations on your Wise Woman status - blessed be.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »

Taz2 - this had gone by me last year  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »

Ooh how interesting.  Never knew about that side of it.  Sounds good to me.  We're not old, past it or however else they want to label us.  We are in our prime ladies.  Embrace it, just not today - I'm too tired!

viv

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »

I am afraid I am going through a "crone" stage at the moment...and there is nothing remotely wise happening in my brain  ::)

Tomorrow however is another day......

Honeyb
x

Blue

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »

Is the 'weakness' of our society not due to the fact the in financially poorer societies, the 'weaker' members have simply died with disease they cannot afford to treat?

Many of us alive in 'western' society would be dead in other places. Good old NHS :thankyou:
I definetly would be: meningitis at 18 months, one of first to get a lumbar puncture, which saved my life.

Congratulations Veganbiker on reaching Wise Woman status. Pagan sounds like it treats women with respect, unlike many other male orientated religions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:26:52 AM by Blue »
Pages: [1] 2