Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen dominant and hrt  (Read 337 times)

Cheryl53!!!!

Oestrogen dominant and hrt
« on: May 16, 2024, 04:25:23 PM »

So my question is if you are oestrogen dominant what happens if you take hrt combi? How would you know if you were dominant? Would it still balance things out?

Nas

Re: Oestrogen dominant and hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 04:28:56 PM »

What is oestrogen dominance?
I guess you would need more progesterone to balance the high level of oestrogen? Maybe you would know if you were peri and felt awful adding more oestrogen to the mix ?

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 04:40:52 PM »

When I had unopposed estrogen or estrogen dominance, my boobs were very sore and swollen, for me that's a first sign.

I was on 3 pumps of gel a day and for my progesterone I was using cyclogest which I cut and the cyclogest was not enough to balance out the gel I was on.

I ended up having to come off the hrt for 3 months, I'm now on 1 pump of gel a day and I am back using the utrogestan 100mg orally.

As Nas has said you would probably need more progesterone to balance out the estrogen, with a separate estrogen patch and progesterone separately that may enable you to increase the progesterone without increasing the estrogen.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 05:13:40 PM »

Join the estrogen dominance group on Facebook, they tell you there how to test for it, it is about the ratio between estrogen and progrsterone. As discogirl says, sore boobs for me too when E is high compared to P, but also confusingly,  the P can also make my boobs sore but it is a more internal, heavy feeling.
Bear in mind tho that that group promote very high doses of progrsterone to oppose the E, so I go on there for information and research and wpupd not ever follow their protocols as I think they are too extreme.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 05:15:33 PM »

I guess you would need more progesterone to balance the high level of oestrogen? Maybe you would know if you were peri and felt awful adding more oestrogen to the mix ?

It's when your level of E is too high compared to your level of P. So it is about ratios, not absolute numbers. Very controversial topic on here, a number of members don't even believe it exists!

Nas

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »

It's when your level of E is too high compared to your level of P. So it is about ratios, not absolute numbers. Very controversial topic on here, a number of members don't even believe it exists!

Oh right, thanks Penguin.
I guess due to the complex nature of our bodies, ANYTHING can exist!

AngelaH

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2024, 10:17:47 PM »

My periods started very early at the age of 10,5. They always were heavier and longer than average. In my 30s skin on the face became extremely itchy, at 39 hot flashes started and I felt permanently warm. By the age of 48 I had insomnia, foggy brain, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, dizziness, itchy legs and arms. Periods became extremely heavy with clots and eventually they became non stop bleedings. Mirena coil was fitted and all the symptoms were gone just overnight.

This is my short story of estrogen dominance, in reality I had it for decades, but NHS failed to recognise it, because it doesn’t exist.

Astonishing I never felt so good like after the Mirena was fitted. From the time, when I was teenager and until my peri I always had different symptoms, the Mirena stopped them altogether and gave me the chance to feel just normal and completely symptoms free.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 10:34:14 PM by AngelaH »