Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Will the tearfulness go away?  (Read 333 times)

Sprat_Jax

• First Flush
Will the tearfulness go away?
« on: May 15, 2024, 07:36:55 AM »

Hi

I've been on HRT for 5 months now. I started it at 51 when i had to come off the birth control pill (as requested by my GP). This caused my interstitial cystitis to flare up. I started on 25mcg Estradot which initially helped then stopped working, and then went up to 50mcg. I was initially taking the utrogestan orally (100mg) - but changed to vaginally about 2 weeks ago due to acne and tiredness. In the last week or so I've felt almost ready to burst into tears several times - and felt really down. It's possibly the utrogestan - in which case is it worth carrying on to see if this goes away? Another possibility is that my AD has stopped working - they have a tendancy to do that with me.

Vicky81

Re: Will the tearfulness go away?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:11 AM »

I had a dreadful reaction on utrogestan!
I switched yo provera and wasn't too bad so it could be this? Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 10:45:20 AM »

I doubt whether the AD will stop working to give you that reaction, more likely to be the progesterone part of the regime.  Especially if these tearful bouts are cyclical.

U could put the product names: individually : into the search box and read the threads.  Make notes ;-). U may find that what you are experiencing is 'usual'.

Let us know!   :bighug:   The night B4 a bleed began I would sob for hours, even when a period wasn't due.

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 08:14:14 PM »

Hi

I've been on HRT for 5 months now. I started it at 51 when i had to come off the birth control pill (as requested by my GP). This caused my interstitial cystitis to flare up. I started on 25mcg Estradot which initially helped then stopped working, and then went up to 50mcg. I was initially taking the utrogestan orally (100mg) - but changed to vaginally about 2 weeks ago due to acne and tiredness. In the last week or so I've felt almost ready to burst into tears several times - and felt really down. It's possibly the utrogestan - in which case is it worth carrying on to see if this goes away? Another possibility is that my AD has stopped working - they have a tendancy to do that with me.

Hi, sorry to hear you’re struggling. I take 100mg continuously and find that before and during my period it can make me feel a bit sedated and lethargic. So twice I have switched to taking it vaginally which helps but after 1-2 weeks of taking vaginally my sleep and mood really suffer and so I switch back to oral. So your symptoms could be due to switching to vaginal. I’ve decided to stick
With oral and put up with the lethargy as it’s much better than anxiety and exhaustion that I get when I switch to vaginal. I hope this is helpful.x

merrygoround

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 06:40:58 AM »

I tried various HRTs for a couple of years and the awful feeling from progesterone didn't improve at all for me, despite the GP telling me I'd adjust to it. I didn't.

In fact for me my mental health only got worse on progesterone because I was ill and had to have sick leave from work, unpaid. That caused me stress on top of feeling ill and everything just started spiralling downwards while I was too tearful to pick myself up and the GP was unsympathetic to the point of making it considerably worse for me.

Long story short, I'm now three and a bit years PM and take tibolone every day. It helps the mental side of menopause especially, makes you feel stronger inside and out pretty much straight away. Hot flushes took longer to lessen and I still get night sweats, but it was the mental health side that was the worst for me.

What progesterone was in your birth control pill? Most have a preparation for HRT as well, so check that it's not a different progesterone and if it is then ask to be returned to the progesterone you had in your BCP.

A word to the wise, the NHS don't prescribe HRT or tibolone for anything but hot flushes, so say that is your main symptom even if your main symptom is actually anxiety or depression, then tell them your preference of meds.

Katherine

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 07:43:30 AM »

Hi merrygoround, that’s interesting. Glad you got sorted. I’d never hear of tiboline before.x