Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Burning Again  (Read 520 times)

Perce88

Burning Again
« on: May 13, 2024, 04:21:59 PM »

Hello all,

I thought I had my Vaginal Atrophy reasonably under control with the Dr advising to use Ovestin every evening during flare ups then returning to every other evening after 14 days.

I am currently going into 3 weeks of burning, it is more tolerable than previous bouts ( where I have not been able to walk and pain killers have not helped).

I am wondering if the Ovestin is aggravating things as it seems to burn more than usual.

I am going to contact the Dr if it continues but wondered if any help or advice here.

Thank you

SaraUK

Re: Burning Again
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 09:40:42 PM »

Please let me know how you get on because I’ve had the same. Been on vagifem every other day for a year! The burning started 6 month in. Went on ovestin daily until March when the burning became unbearable. So I quit them both. The burning is now around 50-60% of what it was, but it’s still there. Nothing is reducing it. I’ve been on hrt (Oestrogel and utrogestan for 2.5 years).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 08:40:51 AM »

One often needs VA treatment nightly.  As well as internally, a smear of 'ovestin' or other moistoriors on the outer labia/vulva should ease symptoms.  Although the leaflet in the box as well as GPs recommends less after the loading of 2-3 weeks, it may be necessary to insert every night. 

Get some treatment up there now and again this evening, then every night for a few months.  Let us know how you get on.  1 cannot 'overdose' on oestrogen replacement for VA although some GPs seem to believe that we can!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 07:46:13 PM by CLKD »

Perce88

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 03:43:48 PM »

SARAUK

Yes, I will let you know how I get on
However, I can't get an appointment for 4 weeks, telephone or in person.
I woke in the night with discomfort and added Yes Moisturiser which literally stung like crazy :-(

CLKD

Thank you for advice, I will continue to use Ovestin 👍🏻

SaraUK

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2024, 05:36:08 PM »

Yes, I have tried Yes WB and VM. Both stung like crazy too so never touched them again.

I tried Yes OB, better as way less ingredients but never got rid of the burning.

I’ve stopped all topicals because  using nothing is the same or sometimes slightly better.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2024, 07:46:48 PM »

That stinging is often due to the very thin vaginal skin.  An 'ouch' moment indeed!

Perce88

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 12:37:52 PM »

So, bit of an update,
Despite informing the Dr's I am suffering
Constant discomfort and burning, they informed me I wouldn't have an appointment with a doctor for a minimum of 4 weeks, so I passed the question on as to whether I can use Ovestin every evening to which the reply was only up to a fortnight and no longer.
Well, this is my 3rd week of using Ovestin every evening and whilst not a dramatic improvement there is a slight let up in discomfort.
Despite the fact there was apparently a big 'shake up' within the medical profession to be more aware and sympathetic towards the Menopause I have yet to witness this :-(

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 12:52:34 PM »

Out of date advice from your GP, use the treatment every day until you see improvements and even then you might need to use it every day.
Take control of the condition yourself because no one else will.

If you can afford you can now buy VA treatment over the counter or online.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 03:54:12 PM »

Get that VA treatment up there every night 4 as long as you require it.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner who might have more sense and who may. not have such a. long waiting list?  Sadly GPs are leaving the profession in droves and not being replaced = long waiting lists.  I read yesterday that apparently since 2019 there are more patients requiring appts., it wasn't clear whether this is an age issue.  No references or author either  >:(