Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Long period - starting to panic  (Read 358 times)

cazb78

• First Flush
Long period - starting to panic
« on: May 12, 2024, 04:21:44 PM »

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. For context I'm nearly 46 and about 4-5 years ago I started to her mid cycle spotting. So I saw a gynaecologist and had an internal scan and hysteroscopy and nothing sinister was found. I have a larger than average
Womb but apparently nothing to worry about (I am tall).

Since then, over the last two years my periods have been pretty irregular - sometimes 21 days, some 35, 28 etc. But in August and September last year I had two cycles consecutively, one 35 days and one 42 days. Then during October and November  I had bleeding on and off - sometimes like a light period for 7 days, then some spotting, then a break etc. January and Xmas things eased off and I had another 42 day cycle into February. But in April and may things have got chaotic. I’ve had spotting, what I thought was a period and now am definitely on a period ans I’m on day 13! It’s horrible. Every time I think it’s slowing down it returns!

I’ve seen dr and he said a good idea to go back to my gynaecologist so I am in the process of sorting this. But has anyone else had this? Everything is going through my mind at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your replies xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Long period - starting to panic
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 06:09:05 PM »

Yep.  Your GP should have recognised symptoms of peri-menopause  ::)  :welcomemm: where U will find that many medics have NO idea about The Change other than that periods stop and women get hot flushes.  However!

Peri menopause as hormone levels rise and fall often cause periods to wax and wane.  Mine did for a few years; I would. miss months then have a few successive bleeds.  I knew it was The Change so wasn't worried.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Let us know how you get on.  Whilst a gynaecologist may be some help, not many seem to know much about peri-menopause.  Do take a list of your worries to the appt..

cazb78

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 06:33:33 PM »

Thanks for your reply. It was a make dr and he seems to think it probably won’t be anything but best to just get checked. My rational head says it’s most likely perimenopausal hormones but there’s always that what if too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 06:53:56 PM »

Often doesn't matter which sex GPs might be [am I allowed to say that these days  :-\], medics don't know much about peri-menopause.  Once you have seen the Gynae - R U having to make this appt yourself ? - U should have a base line from which to work.  Let us know how you get on.

cazb78

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 07:27:00 PM »

Yeah just cos I have private insurance and I know her fairly well from last time so dr said to get an appointment and he’ll send the letter. I’ll keep you informed! Thanks again x

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 10:08:22 PM »

Hi cazb78

Sounds peri menopausal to me too.

Mine were all over, from spotting to full on floods with or without clots, lasting anywhere from 1 day to weeks, and having 2 or 3 'periods' a month, to skipping months completely.

cazb78

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 05:37:07 AM »

Did you go for tests or did you just presume it was peri? I know I need to go and get checked but my anxiety over it all is through the roof.

Gracie1

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 08:51:07 PM »

Hi,
 I am glad I have joined this forum. So much to learn from other people.    I kinda of lost, because I don't know when my period comes and goes.  It is much longer than before. Last time it lasted for 14 days!
let us know how it went. Take care.
Gracie1