Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can antibiotics interfere with transdermal HRT?  (Read 345 times)

Gilla999

Can antibiotics interfere with transdermal HRT?
« on: May 11, 2024, 09:34:59 PM »

I've been on Evorel for a while and doing better in the last 5 months than since the start of this journey.

But last week I picked up an infection and was prescribed Metronidazole. Three days after I started taking it and I'm suffering from what I can only describe as extreme withdrawal. I'm unsure if the antibiotics have somehow interfered with my antidepressant medication (Sertraline and Diazepam) or whether it has interfered with my HRT. I only know that SOMETHING has happened... extreme anxiety, continuous insomnia, uncontrollable shaking, vomiting from anxiety, feelings of doom and dread.

I've had this before when attempting to come off antidepressants (but haven't made any changes this time) or a year ago when I had a massive surge in all my hormone levels including Estrogen. I don't have the emotional teary / weepiness that I normally associate with low Estrogen. I've also had extremely bad constipation and been unable to eat a thing.

Has anyone experienced antibiotics interfering with HRT or any other drugs and in which direction? Really I'm a bit of a mess out of absolutelt nowhere and could do with some support  :(

Dotty

Re: Can antibiotics interfere with transdermal HRT?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 06:22:24 AM »

Hi could it be side effects of the antibiotics ?

CarolineM

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 08:16:38 AM »

Hi Gilla999,

To me that sounds like possible side effects from metronidazole, I've had it a couple of times before and once it absolutely floored me. 

You can check if there is an interaction with your meds by searching the NICE British National Formulary - in Interactions you just search for the drug name, it'll come up with any known interactions and tell you the kind of problem it can cause. Hope the link works.

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/interactions/

Gilla999

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 08:22:16 AM »

Thanks both - the strange thing is I've taken it before with no issues, but I guess things can change.

Also it hasn't just been physical (stomach) issues, it's been very psychological... the overwhelming anxiety and dread/doom feelings that I've had I've only ever had before during the worst of antidepressant withdrawal. Caroline did you have those kind of anxiety/mental type symptoms from Metronidazole? I wondered if because of its impact on the stomach it has impacted the absorption of my antidepressant medications and that has caused soke of the side effects, as well as the drug itself. What poison it is!!

Thanks ladies for your replies, it's been a very scary episode xx

CarolineM

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 08:37:49 AM »

Hi - no, it was more I felt absolutely shattered, shaky, could hardly get off the settee, felt sick all the time and went completely off my food (VERY unlike me). Don't think I ate for a full day.

I don't know about the absorption side of things, you're best off asking a pharmacist as they'll probably know more about this than your GP. Maybe ring a couple and see what they say.

Just checking you're avoiding any alcohol with metronidazole? I once had soy sauce which is fermented and that wasn't pleasant!

joziel

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 08:58:54 AM »

Metronidazole nukes all your gut bacteria, both good and bad. Your gut bacteria are a large source of B vitamins - they make B vitamins from food. So it can then leave you deficient in a lot of Bs...

Look up Dr Stasha Gominak on YouTube, she does a lot about sleep/insomnia and the gut...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 10:02:48 AM »

Interesting Girls.  Is this AB a broad spectrum or was the bacteria isolated B4 the prescription was issued?

U can lodge a complaint on the Yellow Card system on line and I speak to my GP about not taking it because anxiety can soon floor me.  Let us know how you get on.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 10:08:31 AM »

Assume you haven't had any alcohol at all since taking the Metronidazole? Because that causes big reactions.

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 11:01:50 AM »

Hi Gilla, so sorry you're having this horrible episode to deal with.  I had to have multiple courses of heavy duty antibiotics inc Metronidazole this time last year & found to my dismay that my night sweats (inc the associated sense of doom & dread you mention) & insomnia worsened markedly & we could find no other explanation for it other than a possible consequence of the antibiotics.  Like you I'm on Evorel for oestrogen replacement but I'm not on any antidepressants.  As it unfortunately wasn't a short term effect, persisting long after the infections cleared, I did some research & found articles confirming that antibiotic therapy could be implicated.  I started a thread in the members only section called something like antibiotics, gut dysbiosis, vasomotor & psychological symptoms of menopause & posted some of the articles I'd found there.  I'll bump it for you if I can find it, though I'm afraid it's wordy & I can't remember the detail of the links to know how relevant the content may seem for your situation.  I hope you feel a lot better soon.
Wx
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 11:06:08 AM by Wrensong »

Gilla999

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 11:13:35 AM »

Ladies, thank you so much for your lovely replies, I'm very grateful. Honestly it has been a bit of a terrifying experience and especially as I live alone I really appreciate the support.

CLKD it's an antibiotic that is used normally for dental infections, for bacteria that thrive in low oxygen conditions. Different from your normal amoxicillin type ones, but after my own experience if you're ever prescribed it I would exercise caution!

Yes, definitely have avoided alcohol (I don't drink anyway) as I'm aware of that interaction.

Joziel I've actually just been reading that there is this whole connection between Metronidazole being a known Vitamin B1 antagonist, so if you're already low in it then it can really push you over the edge, and the symptoms are exactly what I've experienced. I don't know if I'm low in B1 but do know I have malnutrition of several other vitamins including other Bs (for unknwon reasons) so I wouldn't be surprised if I was, and the Metronidazole has just provoked it.

Wrensong, always lovely to hear from you  :) How interesting that you also found they impacted you too. I remember from my youth that the birth control pill was impacted by antibiotics, so I wonder if it's along the same lines? Although not sure if transdermal would be the same. But interesting that you've definitely found a connection too. I stopped taking it two days ago, so just hoping it passes soon.

Does anyone else just feel a bit vulnerable at how everything can be completely fine for months and then all of a sudden it's turned upside down!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 11:29:59 AM »

Antibiotics interfered with The Pill as it often caused diarrhoea/vomiting = lessening the protective effect.

Blips are often worse than the original issues, certainly I have found with anxiety : Oh No not again, how long will it last this time and will I survive :  :-\.  With the initial issues there is hope that treatment/s will work  ::) ....... so yes vulnerability can feel worse!  I still live half a day at a time trying not to look too far ahead.

Gilla999

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2024, 11:35:30 AM »

Half a day at a time is a really helpful suggestion - I'm going to adopt that at least until I'm better!

Wrensong

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2024, 11:37:37 AM »

Gilla, yes I had the OCP-antibiotic absorption interference issue in the back of my mind when it started to feel as though my HRT wasn't working at all well but like you wasn't sure whether hormone replacement from transdermal methods could be affected too.   I can't remember the detail in the articles now, only that they seemed to confirm the antibiotics could be responsible.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2024, 11:40:57 AM »

I also no longer worry about housework, dust bunnies will be here long after I'm out doing other stuff  ;D. Be kind to yourself!

joziel

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2024, 08:07:56 PM »

Gilla, if you're on Facebook there's a group called Thiamine (B1) deficiency or something which is quite good.

Benfotiamine and allithiamine are better absorbed than thiamine.
Pages: [1] 2